BISD responds to West Brook cafeteria fight and use of pepper spray to end disturbance

BMTSoulja1

I also wonder about the calling EMS to treat people. I am not saying that no one needed it because I was not there however EMS is probably going to get there and pour water bottles over your face. I am not sure if that is the most cost effective means for the school district. I mean it’s in the cafeteria, go get a 25 cent bottle of water and poured over your own face instead of calling a $5000 ambulance? 

5 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

What is the response? Are they saying pepper spray should not have been used?

I have no issue using pepper. I have used it and on one incident, I think it saved my life. I was attacked by three men and one of them was trying to pull my pistol out of the holster. I managed to shove down hard enough to keep my gun in the holster and with my left hand pulled out my pepper and hit the two people in front of me in the eyes. Then put it over my right shoulder and shot the guy in the face with the pepper who was trying to take away my gun from behind. There is no way I could’ve even come close to winning a 3 on 1 fight but the pepper more than evened the odds.

There was a large crowd at a dance at that location and the pepper cleared the entire area and ended the dance. When that atomized pepper gets into the air, it makes it painful to breathe.

But…. I have seen officers indiscriminately spray a crowd to disperse them. There is always a time and a place for such actions but was it appropriate in this case to “maybe” spray people who are not involved? Is that using force against a person who is not resisting or causing a threat?

I have no opinion on this case at all because I do not know what happened. Did the officers spray pepper on people who were fighting to make an arrest? Were the officers or school officials being directly attacked or threaten by people crowding around them? As with my case was the incidental overspray what caused other people to be affected?

Did the officers use the pepper as teargas being used to disperse the crowd in a riot? If so, is that justified against people who may have just been eating lunch?

I have no answer but just curious. 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I have no issue using pepper. I have used it and on one incident, I think it saved my life. I was attacked by three men and one of them was trying to pull my pistol out of the holster. I managed to shove down hard enough to keep my gun in the holster and with my left hand pulled out my pepper and hit the two people in front of me in the eyes. Then put it over my right shoulder and shot the guy in the face with the pepper who was trying to take away my gun from behind. There is no way I could’ve even come close to winning a 3 on 1 fight but the pepper more than evened the odds.

There was a large crowd at a dance at that location and the pepper cleared the entire area and ended the dance. When that atomized pepper gets into the air, it makes it painful to breathe.

But…. I have seen officers indiscriminately spray a crowd to disperse them. There is always a time and a place for such actions but was it appropriate in this case to “maybe” spray people who are not involved? Is that using force against a person who is not resisting or causing a threat?

I have no opinion on this case at all because I do not know what happened. Did the officers spray pepper on people who were fighting to make an arrest? Were the officers or school officials being directly attacked or threaten by people crowding around them? As with my case was the incidental overspray what caused other people to be affected?

Did the officers use the pepper as teargas being used to disperse the crowd in a riot? If so, is that justified against people who may have just been eating lunch?

I have no answer but just curious. 

Same, in the article I didn't really see what the response from BISD to this was.

14 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I also wonder about the calling EMS to treat people. I am not saying that no one needed it because I was not there however EMS is probably going to get there and pour water bottles over your face. I am not sure if that is the most cost effective means for the school district. I mean it’s in the cafeteria, go get a 25 cent bottle of water and poured over your own face instead of calling a $5000 ambulance? 

How else would they be able to sue somebody without medical bills?

On 12/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, tvc184 said:

School has to do it.  Imagine the outrage if they didn’t.  “My baby got pepper sprayed by a school cop, and the school didn’t even get him medical attention.  Just poured water on his face and told him he was alright.”

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

School has to do it.  Imagine the outrage if they didn’t.  “My baby got pepper sprayed by a school cop, and the school didn’t even get him medical attention.  Just poured water on his face and told him he was alright.”

So they pay $5,000 and EMS pours water on their face ….    :)