Crosby Coaches

CCRed

4 hours ago, CCRed said:

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but the State semi-final games have 3 head coaches, former & present from Crosby:

Flannigan (Tomball)

Rio (Chappell Hill)

Prieto (Crosby)

Are you saying that BH should consult  Crosby before spending a fortune on  coaches? Jk jk

17 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

No, Barber Hills needs to offer the Crosby coach more money than Crosby is paying him.

I’m not sure even BH, with all their money, could afford that.  Not what just the school is paying, but what they got (getting) from others.  Why, if not money, could a school like Crosby have had so many quality coaches?  It’s not like they’re a powerhouse such as Aledo or Southlake Carroll.  It’s not like near a diamond like Lake Rayburn.  So, pray tell, what else is there?  …….$$$$$$.  I wonder, but open to other theories.

35 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I’m not sure even BH, with all their money, could afford that.  Not what just the school is paying, but what they got (getting) from others.  Why, if not money, could a school like Crosby have had so many quality coaches?  It’s not like they’re a powerhouse such as Aledo or Southlake Carroll.  It’s not like near a diamond like Lake Rayburn.  So, pray tell, what else is there?  …….$$$$$$.  I wonder, but open to other theories.

So interesting bit to consider. 

Flannigan proved the talent existed and that Crosby could be a winner. He was a disciplinarian when at Crosby and those guys tend to have a timer running until they upset someone enough to lose their jobs. 

Rio was brought in by a super who had ties to Sulphur Springs. 

Prieto was brought in by a super who had ties to Corpus Christi. 

So I guess the real trick is hirer a new super from an underutilized coaching area and let them bring their contacts to a Houston area talent pool. 

Also, to be clear Preito and Rio were coordinators when we hired them. We didn't try and go get Allens HC. 

2 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

So interesting bit to consider. 

Flannigan proved the talent existed and that Crosby could be a winner. He was a disciplinarian when at Crosby and those guys tend to have a timer running until they upset someone enough to lose their jobs. 

Rio was brought in by a super who had ties to Sulphur Springs. 

Prieto was brought in by a super who had ties to Corpus Christi. 

So I guess the real trick is hirer a new super from an underutilized coaching area and let them bring their contacts to a Houston area talent pool. 

Also, to be clear Preito and Rio were coordinators when we hired them. We didn't try and go get Allens HC. 

Makes sense.  I’d say it’s working.  Had some good coaches.  Got another good one now.   

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

A big part of the reason the coaches are "quality" when they're here is because of the talent. Another reason is because the administration gives them basically free reign over their staff. Flannigan learned how to coach talent while he was at Crosby but basically Jeff Fisher'd our offense and never really won the town over. He got run off after making the playoffs the last six consecutive years he was here and I think took some learnings to his next two stops relating to how that happened and avoiding it in the future. All in all though, even though he was a good upstanding Christian man he just wasn't very well liked. 

Riordan to me was the easiest hire we've made. You just went and got the guy whose offense was responsible for beating Dayton in a state championship game. At the time we couldn't even beat Dayton in district play. I think he also had the fastest and smoothest transition. But again, he had an NFL running back among the other boatload of talent when he got here. The talent run from 2012-2017 under Rio was sick at Crosby. 

We were broke and I believe we had a search committee that recommended us hiring Prieto? Similar premise to the Riordan hire though. Go find the best available offensive coordinator to fit the talent already on campus. CC Vets was down there lighting it up in the Coastal Bend under his guidance and Crosby is doing the same now. 

You can't just go hire head coaches and expect similar results as their previous stops. You have no idea who the coach can bring with him/who wants to come with him? Lots of times those coordinators play a huge role in the HC's success. Crosby had a similar talent level to where our past couple of coaches came from. BH doesn't have a talent level comparable to any of the places their last three coaches came from. You also have to realize what you think is a "diamond" is based on your experiences and viewpoints. Someone like Willie Gaston, who I think is the hottest coordinator on Houston, probably isn't going to see job opportunities the way you do. 

18 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

A big part of the reason the coaches are "quality" when they're here is because of the talent. Another reason is because the administration gives them basically free reign over their staff. Flannigan learned how to coach talent while he was at Crosby but basically Jeff Fisher'd our offense and never really won the town over. He got run off after making the playoffs the last six consecutive years he was here and I think took some learnings to his next two stops relating to how that happened and avoiding it in the future. All in all though, even though he was a good upstanding Christian man he just wasn't very well liked. 

Riordan to me was the easiest hire we've made. You just went and got the guy whose offense was responsible for beating Dayton in a state championship game. At the time we couldn't even beat Dayton in district play. I think he also had the fastest and smoothest transition. But again, he had an NFL running back among the other boatload of talent when he got here. The talent run from 2012-2017 under Rio was sick at Crosby. 

We were broke and I believe we had a search committee that recommended us hiring Prieto? Similar premise to the Riordan hire though. Go find the best available offensive coordinator to fit the talent already on campus. CC Vets was down there lighting it up in the Coastal Bend under his guidance and Crosby is doing the same now. 

You can't just go hire head coaches and expect similar results as their previous stops. You have no idea who the coach can bring with him/who wants to come with him? Lots of times those coordinators play a huge role in the HC's success. Crosby had a similar talent level to where our past couple of coaches came from. BH doesn't have a talent level comparable to any of the places their last three coaches came from. You also have to realize what you think is a "diamond" is based on your experiences and viewpoints. Someone like Willie Gaston, who I think is the hottest coordinator on Houston, probably isn't going to see job opportunities the way you do. 

The “ diamond” I was referring to was Rayburn.  Wouldn’t expect Coach Gaston to see things like I do.  Doubt anyone does.  FYI, folks are unique.  And that’s Probably a good thing. 

21 hours ago, Hagar said:

The “ diamond” I was referring to was Rayburn.  Wouldn’t expect Coach Gaston to see things like I do.  Doubt anyone does.  FYI, folks are unique.  And that’s Probably a good thing. 

I knew what you were referring to as a "diamond". Just letting you know Coach Gaston's version of a diamond might be living on Lake Houston in Crosby vs living by the HL&P runoff on Lake Dutton in Beach City? Crosby's is always going to seem to get the better guy because we have more talent for X coach to win with. Coaches come to Crosby because they think they can win big and boost their standing in the coaching world. BH hires guys that already have a high standing but want a bigger payday, those type guys and the egos that come with them are not always the perfect fit at their new destinations. 

One thing that would make BH a a more favorable job than the money is the talent they're probably about to get once they build that new subdivision that's supposed to double Mont Belvieu's size when it's completed.

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I knew what you were referring to as a "diamond". Just letting you know Coach Gaston's version of a diamond might be living on Lake Houston in Crosby vs living by the HL&P runoff on Lake Dutton in Beach City? Crosby's is always going to seem to get the better guy because we have more talent for X coach to win with. Coaches come to Crosby because they think they can win big and boost their standing in the coaching world. BH hires guys that already have a high standing but want a bigger payday, those type guys and the egos that come with them are not always the perfect fit at their new destinations. 

One thing that would make BH a a more favorable job than the money is the talent they're probably about to get once they build that new subdivision that's supposed to double Mont Belvieu's size when it's completed.

Appears Flannigan & Rio have talent where they’re at.  So is it finding talent or simply being a really good Coach?  Imo, a really good Coach will bring the talent out.  Most schools that are losing have a lot of good talent, but they’re either not being used properly, or not playing at all.  A new Coach comes in and has the charisma to get the kids back in football, plus knows how to utilize the talent he has, and voila, you got a winner.  Jmo.  You can play “Crosby’s the greatest” all you want, and they’re very good, but don’t never think Crosby is unique about having talent.  Based on SC rings, based on your talent theory, Carthage must have the most talented kids in Texas.  So where was this talent pool prior to Surratt’s arrival?  

Crosby has the advantage that a lot of Dallas area teams usually have over Houston area teams.

A one high achool district.

Teams like DeSoto are always going to have the advantage over teams like Spring Westfield for instance. As soon as a Houston area team gets good, they split off and add another tram into that school district. Whether it's Cypress, Spring, Fort Bend, Manvel, Pearland, Katy.

There is no continuity. 

Dallas area, due to different zoning laws, is surrounded  by small towns. There are some exceptions, but typically those exceptions aren't winning state championships.

The dynasties are Aledo, Argyle, DeSoto, Cedar Hill....

Crosby has that same advantage. CE King has it too and if left alone for a few decades will be a powerhouse. I bet they will be split up though into two high schools though if growth continues that way.

2 hours ago, panamamyers said:

Crosby has the advantage that a lot of Dallas area teams usually have over Houston area teams.

A one high achool district.

Teams like DeSoto are always going to have the advantage over teams like Spring Westfield for instance. As soon as a Houston area team gets good, they split off and add another tram into that school district. Whether it's Cypress, Spring, Fort Bend, Manvel, Pearland, Katy.

There is no continuity. 

Dallas area, due to different zoning laws, is surrounded  by small towns. There are some exceptions, but typically those exceptions aren't winning state championships.

The dynasties are Aledo, Argyle, DeSoto, Cedar Hill....

Crosby has that same advantage. CE King has it too and if left alone for a few decades will be a powerhouse. I bet they will be split up though into two high schools though if growth continues that way.

I remember when projections came out the last time saying Crosby would be a very big 6a in 10 years (pre-covid) the community rather universally said we want to remain 1 school. The design of the new Crosby HS has the ability to add up to 4 new wings to it in the future. There are hallways that go nowhere and the school was built in the academy style so 4 more wings is something like 100 classrooms which would be an ability to be as big as about 4.5k students. Add to that the possibility of a ninth grade campus and Crosby has the land and setup to become a very very big 6a high school. 

14 hours ago, Hagar said:

Appears Flannigan & Rio have talent where they’re at.  

With Rio we know he's a very good coach but he also left Crosby for a school that everyone knew had a lot of talent. His coaching has always enhanced that talent his staff has also traditionally done a good job at getting kids recruited. 

With Flannigan I honestly think he's developed as a coach a lot. I think when he left Crosby he was a good coach but over that last decade he has clearly learned some lessons and become a great coach. He had some trying times after leaving Crosby (the locker room camera thing.) and I think it has made him a better leader and coach. When thrown into the fire you either melt or it burns away the excess and leave the core a really good man.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Lots of truth spoke here, coaching is like any other profession. 14 is correct in that 2 of the 3 good hires in Crosby were coordinators that came in with a new superintendent. New sup will VERY often hire someone new just for allegiance. This is no different in any profession. Years ago when GCM was getting ready to open, GCCISD athletic director went to Garland ISD to interview how they hired for a new football coach at a new school. Homer Jones, maybe Johnson was the most experienced AD, or one of the most experienced, in the state. He told Tom Ed that a new school needs to hire a successful, responsible, excitable coordinator. Many times superintendents will hire someone they know from their old district for loyalty and they are knowledgeable of their character. Sometimes there will be a true investigation with TRUE interviews, but rarely. VERY OFTEN THE SUP KNOWS THE HIRE BEFORE INTERVIEWS, or it could be someone an influential board member knows. The most important person in any football organization is the HEAD COACH, the second is the QUARTERBACK. Isn't high school playoff time great, not only football, but all sports. As far as head coaches, i BELIEVE the best head coaches have a background as a defensive coordinator (Saban and Bellicheck) becomes often offensive coordinators are PRETTY BOYS and have to run all their plays. Defensive coaches worry more about scoreboard. I have known some quality head coaches who have a background with offensive line, hogs are different beasts altogether.

t