PNG Coaching Change?

CajunFried

5 hours ago, CCRed said:

If Saban was available, Barbers Hill would have already paid him. 

Nick Saban's not for sale. Texas learned that lesson the hard way.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:32 AM, CajunFried said:

Hearing rumors that board is pushing superintendent to non-renew  Faircloth? Any truth to this? Surely not…really sad day for PNG if this is true.

These rumors of Coach Fairlcoth's possible departure are disturbing. The kind of disturbing that lures a long-dormant messageboard user out of hibernation the same night his college alma mater wins a conference title over the #1 team in the country.

I know very little regarding Coach Faircloth's future at PN-G from firsthand knowledge. Generally, I avoid spreading rumors when I don't know the information to be accurate from firsthand knowledge, and on the occasions when I think it's necessary to discuss those rumors, I always make certain to note that I can't speak to their actual veracity. This is one of those occasions. Simply put, I have no idea whether it's true that Coach Faircloth's position at PN-G is in jeopardy.

Here's what I do know. I first heard word that Coach Faircloth's tenure at PN-G may be at risk six weeks ago. I've heard several different iterations of that rumor in the weeks since. I trust, and deeply respect, many of the sources that have brought these rumors to my attention, but in each case, those sources have only been able to provide me with information on a secondhand basis. What little direct evidence I've been able to glean for myself has, if anything, contradicted rumors of Faircloth's impending departure, or at least rumors that the school board has chosen not to renew his contract. For these reasons, and in light of a highly successful 2021 football season that saw the Indians exceed all expectation, I've been highly skeptical of these rumors, and have deliberately chosen only to discuss them when someone else brings them up. I remain skeptical of these rumors now, though I'll admit to some concern in the face of their apparent durability and, now, their growing prevalence among PN-G fans.

Brandon Faircloth has been the best head football coach and athletic director PN-G has had in at least 40 years. That is not a statement I make lightly; the evidence is overwhelming. PN-G's all-time win ratio on the football field is .610. Coach Faircloth's win ratio at PN-G is .667, the best of any PN-G coach since Danny Malone. The Indians currently have an active playoff streak stretching back nine consecutive appearances, an all-time school record. The Indians have gone three rounds deep in the playoffs four of the last six seasons, the most consistent streak of deep playoff runs PN-G has had since Doug Ethridge's tenure at PN-G in the 1970s. Coach Faircloth has both more wins and more playoff appearances to his name than any football coach in PN-G history.

Statistically speaking, the indisputable best quarterback in PN-G history, several runners-up at the quarterback position, the indisputable best receiver in PN-G history, several runners-up at that position, two of the best runningbacks in PN-G history, and perhaps the best kicker in PN-G history have all been coached by Brandon Faircloth. The best offenses to ever play for PN-G have been coached by Brandon Faircloth, and one of the best defenses in school history was coached by him as well. Coach Faircloth has fielded one of the only four PN-G players in school history to earn All-American honors. He's coached a school record 39 players to achieve All-State honors - fifteen more than Coach Ethridge. Dozens of PN-G players have simultaneously earned academic honors. Coach Faircloth has sent more football players on to play college ball than any coach in PN-G history. Roschon Johnson, Blake Bost, Adam Morse, Tate Sandell - the list goes on. You can verify all of these statistics and all of these facts on our outstanding fan-made website, www.pngindians.com.

The lone accomplishment claimed by other PN-G coaches that has eluded Coach Faircloth as a head coach is a state championship appearance. No Golden Triangle team in the same classification as PN-G (4A prior to 2014, 5A since then) has made a state championship appearance since West Orange-Stark in 2000. Take this from a die-hard PN-G native turned reluctant Austin-area resident: the amount of wealth, funding, resources and talent concentrated in suburban Texas football programs far and away exceeds anything small town schools like PN-G are able to amass, and even exceeds what PN-G was able to pull together in the days before Robin Hood. Given the amount of money he threw into Highland Park's program, there's an argument to be made that Jerry Jones effectively bought his grandson a state championship. Schools like Westlake, Lake Travis, Cedar Park, Austin Vandegrift, Euless Trinity, Southlake Carroll, Aledo and Katy Cinco Ranch have backing from dozens of multi-millionaires, professional players, coaches and trainers alike, and in some cases, literal billionaires. This was not the case in the 1950s, the 1970s or the 1990s. The reason that you see programs like Crosby and Barbers Hill on the rise is because they're rapidly becoming suburban programs with that kind of cash on hand. The days of the upper level classifications in Texas high school football (i.e., the 6A and 5A divisions) being dominated by rural schools like PN-G, Odessa Permian, Tyler Lee, Waco Midway and the like are, at least for the moment, gone. The fact that Coach Faircloth has managed to keep PN-G competitive despite our area's relative disadvantage is a testament to his coaching prowess in and of itself.

Moreover, Coach Faircloth's accomplishments are not limited to his coaching on the football field. As athletic director, it was Brandon Faircloth who made the brilliant decision to hire Coach Carter as head baseball coach. Coach Carter brought PN-G its first state title in baseball just four years ago. If I'm not mistaken, that also constituted PN-G's first state title in any sport since Coach Comeaux's last state championship run with the Rock-a-Noos in 1989. In the Faircloth era, both the boys' and girls' soccer teams have repeatedly made deep playoff runs, ending several seasons on the cusp of the state tournament. Our basketball teams, consistently PN-G's least successful athletic programs, have found their way to the playoffs. Our success in track and field has improved tremendously. To put it succinctly, the last time PN-G experienced the level of athletic success across the board that it has had with Brandon Faircloth in the fieldhouse, I wasn't born yet.

I know and respect several members of the PN-GISD administration and school board; in truth, my skepticism of these rumors is partly based on my faith in their ability to exercise good judgment. I went to school with Jake Lefort's son and Dallon James's younger sisters. I've shared lunch with Lana Parker. Scott Ryan was my assistant principal in middle school. I went to church with Jon Deckert and his family for several years. Julie Gauthier has been a workhorse for both PN-GISD and the City of Port Neches, and the fruits of her labors are demonstrable. I have been very pleased with their leadership the last several years. The PN-G community is two years or less away from all new elementary schools in the district, only ten years after replacing both middle schools and the stadium, and completely renovating the high school. In my opinion, PN-GISD made the best decisions of any school district in the state with respect to its COVID response, and navigated all the controversies of 2020 as best as anyone could expect. From cybersecurity breaches to explosions to hurricanes to freezes, the district's leadership has repeatedly shown its ability to maintain a high quality of education despite substantially greater adversity than anything the rest of the state has had to contend with. The district is in good fiscal shape, and has shown sustained success in non-athletic extracurricular pursuits, including the band, which is obviously of particular significance to me. The district also secured excellent ratings in all the state's academic metrics prior to COVID, and has consistently been rated one of the best school districts in the state in independent studies conducted by third party entities. Personally, I take immense pride in the fact that PN-GISD actually outscored Austin's best local school district by a point in the state's scoring system in 2019. There's no doubt in my mind PN-G continues to offer the best public education you can find anywhere in this state east of IH-45. Speaking from personal experience, Austin's policy circles are familiar with the district's strong reputation.

But if my skepticism of these rumors is misplaced, and if it is in fact the case that in spite of Coach Faircloth's clear, undeniable accolades and accomplishments, either PN-GISD will decline to renew Coach Faircloth's contract, or Coach Faircloth will voluntarily leave PN-GISD under pressure from the school board or administration, it will be the first time in several years that I've had good reason to reconsider the faith I have in the party or parties responsible for his departure. Forcing Coach Faircloth's ouster, whether directly or through indirect means, would reflect a severe error in judgment which would have consequences for PN-G students for generations to come - a mistake even worse than running off Danny Malone, which will likely result in similar or worse consequences, and the same lingering shame and regret. To say nothing of losing Coach Faircloth's demonstrated ability to develop successful PN-G athletes and programming, it would also clearly signal to any potential replacement that a three round playoff run capping off thirteen years of unquestionably and consistently successful leadership is not enough to satisfy the powers that be at PN-G, or worse yet, to overcome local political grudges. Ending Coach Faircloth's tenure prematurely would be a grave disservice to the PN-G community and, more importantly, its kids. I have no doubt whatsoever that I am not the only member of the PN-G community who feels this way.

For PN-G's sake, here's hoping these rumors are nothing more than idle gossip. Scalp 'em, Indians.

10 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Nick Saban's not for sale. Texas learned that lesson the hard way.

These rumors of Coach Fairlcoth's possible departure are disturbing. The kind of disturbing that lures a long-dormant messageboard user out of hibernation the same night his college alma mater wins a conference title over the #1 team in the country.

I know very little regarding Coach Faircloth's future at PN-G from firsthand knowledge. Generally, I avoid spreading rumors when I don't know the information to be accurate from firsthand knowledge, and on the occasions when I think it's necessary to discuss those rumors, I always make certain to note that I can't speak to their actual veracity. This is one of those occasions. Simply put, I have no idea whether it's true that Coach Faircloth's position at PN-G is in jeopardy.

Here's what I do know. I first heard word that Coach Faircloth's tenure at PN-G may be at risk six weeks ago. I've heard several different iterations of that rumor in the weeks since. I trust, and deeply respect, many of the sources that have brought these rumors to my attention, but in each case, those sources have only been able to provide me with information on a secondhand basis. What little direct evidence I've been able to glean for myself has, if anything, contradicted rumors of Faircloth's impending departure, or at least rumors that the school board has chosen not to renew his contract. For these reasons, and in light of a highly successful 2021 football season that saw the Indians exceed all expectation, I've been highly skeptical of these rumors, and have deliberately chosen only to discuss them when someone else brings them up. I remain skeptical of these rumors now, though I'll admit to some concern in the face of their apparent durability and, now, their growing prevalence among PN-G fans.

Brandon Faircloth has been the best head football coach and athletic director PN-G has had in at least 40 years. That is not a statement I make lightly; the evidence is overwhelming. PN-G's all-time win ratio on the football field is .610. Coach Faircloth's win ratio at PN-G is .667, the best of any PN-G coach since Danny Malone. The Indians currently have an active playoff streak stretching back nine consecutive appearances, an all-time school record. The Indians have gone three rounds deep in the playoffs four of the last six seasons, the most consistent streak of deep playoff runs PN-G has had since Doug Ethridge's tenure at PN-G in the 1970s. Coach Faircloth has both more wins and more playoff appearances to his name than any football coach in PN-G history.

Statistically speaking, the indisputable best quarterback in PN-G history, several runners-up at the quarterback position, the indisputable best receiver in PN-G history, several runners-up at that position, two of the best runningbacks in PN-G history, and perhaps the best kicker in PN-G history have all been coached by Brandon Faircloth. The best offenses to ever play for PN-G have been coached by Brandon Faircloth, and one of the best defenses in school history was coached by him as well. Coach Faircloth has fielded one of the only four PN-G players in school history to earn All-American honors. He's coached a school record 39 players to achieve All-State honors - fifteen more than Coach Ethridge. Dozens of PN-G players have simultaneously earned academic honors. Coach Faircloth has sent more football players on to play college ball than any coach in PN-G history. Roschon Johnson, Blake Bost, Adam Morse, Tate Sandell - the list goes on. You can verify all of these statistics and all of these facts on our outstanding fan-made website, www.pngindians.com.

The lone accomplishment claimed by other PN-G coaches that has eluded Coach Faircloth as a head coach is a state championship appearance. No Golden Triangle team in the same classification as PN-G (4A prior to 2014, 5A since then) has made a state championship appearance since West Orange-Stark in 2000. Take this from a die-hard PN-G native turned reluctant Austin-area resident: the amount of wealth, funding, resources and talent concentrated in suburban Texas football programs far and away exceeds anything small town schools like PN-G are able to amass, and even exceeds what PN-G was able to pull together in the days before Robin Hood. Given the amount of money he threw into Highland Park's program, there's an argument to be made that Jerry Jones effectively bought his grandson a state championship. Schools like Westlake, Lake Travis, Cedar Park, Austin Vandegrift, Euless Trinity, Southlake Carroll, Aledo and Katy Cinco Ranch have backing from dozens of multi-millionaires, professional players, coaches and trainers alike, and in some cases, literal billionaires. This was not the case in the 1950s, the 1970s or the 1990s. The reason that you see programs like Crosby and Barbers Hill on the rise is because they're rapidly becoming suburban programs with that kind of cash on hand. The days of the upper level classifications in Texas high school football (i.e., the 6A and 5A divisions) being dominated by rural schools like PN-G, Odessa Permian, Tyler Lee, Waco Midway and the like are, at least for the moment, gone. The fact that Coach Faircloth has managed to keep PN-G competitive despite our area's relative disadvantage is a testament to his coaching prowess in and of itself.

Moreover, Coach Faircloth's accomplishments are not limited to his coaching on the football field. As athletic director, it was Brandon Faircloth who made the brilliant decision to hire Coach Carter as head baseball coach. Coach Carter brought PN-G its first state title in baseball just four years ago. If I'm not mistaken, that also constituted PN-G's first state title in any sport since Coach Comeaux's last state championship run with the Rock-a-Noos in 1989. In the Faircloth era, both the boys' and girls' soccer teams have repeatedly made deep playoff runs, ending several seasons on the cusp of the state tournament. Our basketball teams, consistently PN-G's least successful athletic programs, have found their way to the playoffs. Our success in track and field has improved tremendously. To put it succinctly, the last time PN-G experienced the level of athletic success across the board that it has had with Brandon Faircloth in the fieldhouse, I wasn't born yet.

I know and respect several members of the PN-GISD administration and school board; in truth, my skepticism of these rumors is partly based on my faith in their ability to exercise good judgment. I went to school with Jake Lefort's son and Dallon James's younger sisters. I've shared lunch with Lana Parker. Scott Ryan was my assistant principal in middle school. I went to church with Jon Deckert and his family for several years. Julie Gauthier has been a workhorse for both PN-GISD and the City of Port Neches, and the fruits of her labors are demonstrable. I have been very pleased with their leadership the last several years. The PN-G community is two years or less away from all new elementary schools in the district, only ten years after replacing both middle schools and the stadium, and completely renovating the high school. In my opinion, PN-GISD made the best decisions of any school district in the state with respect to its COVID response, and navigated all the controversies of 2020 as best as anyone could expect. From cybersecurity breaches to explosions to hurricanes to freezes, the district's leadership has repeatedly shown its ability to maintain a high quality of education despite substantially greater adversity than anything the rest of the state has had to contend with. The district is in good fiscal shape, and has shown sustained success in non-athletic extracurricular pursuits, including the band, which is obviously of particular significance to me. The district also secured excellent ratings in all the state's academic metrics prior to COVID, and has consistently been rated one of the best school districts in the state in independent studies conducted by third party entities. Personally, I take immense pride in the fact that PN-GISD actually outscored Austin's best local school district by a point in the state's scoring system in 2019. There's no doubt in my mind PN-G continues to offer the best public education you can find anywhere in this state east of IH-45. Speaking from personal experience, Austin's policy circles are familiar with the district's strong reputation.

But if my skepticism of these rumors is misplaced, and if it is in fact the case that in spite of Coach Faircloth's clear, undeniable accolades and accomplishments, either PN-GISD will decline to renew Coach Faircloth's contract, or Coach Faircloth will voluntarily leave PN-GISD under pressure from the school board or administration, it will be the first time in several years that I've had good reason to reconsider the faith I have in the party or parties responsible for his departure. Forcing Coach Faircloth's ouster, whether directly or through indirect means, would reflect a severe error in judgment which would have consequences for PN-G students for generations to come - a mistake even worse than running off Danny Malone, which will likely result in similar or worse consequences, and the same lingering shame and regret. To say nothing of losing Coach Faircloth's demonstrated ability to develop successful PN-G athletes and programming, it would also clearly signal to any potential replacement that a three round playoff run capping off thirteen years of unquestionably and consistently successful leadership is not enough to satisfy the powers that be at PN-G, or worse yet, to overcome local political grudges. Ending Coach Faircloth's tenure prematurely would be a grave disservice to the PN-G community and, more importantly, its kids. I have no doubt whatsoever that I am not the only member of the PN-G community who feels this way.

For PN-G's sake, here's hoping these rumors are nothing more than idle gossip. Scalp 'em, Indians.

So when does Toby start?

15 hours ago, Hagar said:

Old Buddy, you’re about 2 & 1/2 pages late with this advise.  Seems some have tarred & feathered BF already.  If true, one very strange decision, if based on football.  And folks need to remember that PNG is about 400 students (Ned 500) in the hole each year.  There’s a reason Crosby & Barbers Hill come up in the top four so often.  Imo 5A-D2 has the biggest disparity in all the Classifications.  Sure, there are no doubt exceptions, but not many.  Those numbers mean something or the the UIL wouldn’t use them.

Well, my friend, I didn't want to comment at all until there was something factual.  But, what was been said with no facts I had to interject some-what.  As always, there are two sides to every story.  I'll not give an actual opinion until something has been decided.  And when I do -- there'll be nothing more to be said!!  HA!! Just kidding!    :)

I have zero connection to PNG other than I've seen them play a few times, but I am not a member of the community or do not live anywhere near there.  Reading the thread and checking the link to the schoolboard members and pairing it up with the 2021 PNG roster.  It looks like there are current two board members that had kids on the team.  Just a hunch, but I bet the smoke starts there.  I would think a decision like this would have to be personal, since it seems Coach Faircloth has been successful and well respected by the community.  Interested to hear the rest of the story.  Good luck to Coach Faircloth (I'm sure there are plenty of football programs out there that will be very happy to get him as their coach), and the athletes going forward no matter which way this turns out.

15 minutes ago, RidinTheRange said:

I have zero connection to PNG other than I've seen them play a few times, but I am not a member of the community or do not live anywhere near there.  Reading the thread and checking the link to the schoolboard members and pairing it up with the 2021 PNG roster.  It looks like there are current two board members that had kids on the team.  Just a hunch, but I bet the smoke starts there.  I would think a decision like this would have to be personal, since it seems Coach Faircloth has been successful and well respected by the community.  Interested to hear the rest of the story.  Good luck to Coach Faircloth (I'm sure there are plenty of football programs out there that will be very happy to get him as their coach), and the athletes going forward no matter which way this turns out.

BINGO.Some would rather their kids play than win which is selfish.  Good investigative skills

If there are administrators & board members wanting Faircloth gone at png, that's one of the the most ignorant decisions ever made in PNG ISD history. That would pretty much top most of the ignorant decisions by the admins. & board members the last 30 years at NISD. 

3 hours ago, RidinTheRange said:

Both of those players have seen the field. I've seen one on Special teams, and his Dad isn't the type to do something petty like this. The other kid has seen the field also, on defense. Can't see his dad doing this either. Coach Faircloths own son doesn't see the field every play either. Sooooo, I don't know.....if he does leave, I'm going to miss those high octane offenses of his. 

PAM should scoop him up. Can you imagine what he could do with those athletes on offense.

If they (Administration and Board) let this happen there will be a major turnover on the board next vote cycle! The grass is almost never greener on the other side, especially when it comes coaching at PN much less SETX in general. NO one is perfect and you will always be able to find things about coaches that you wont like. It comes down to results and for the most part results matter, except this instance if this is all true.  

Likely something along the lines that led to us having 20 cheerleaders and everyone makes NDNettes. Parents are soft. Kids are soft. If they are not good enough parents complain. Post on Facebook and get the PN rumor mill flowing. Before too long we will have STJFL rules where every kid gets at least 10 plays. 

38 minutes ago, aki1994 said:

Likely something along the lines that led to us having 20 cheerleaders and everyone makes NDNettes. Parents are soft. Kids are soft. If they are not good enough parents complain. Post on Facebook and get the PN rumor mill flowing. Before too long we will have STJFL rules where every kid gets at least 10 plays. 

Trust me I’ve known many administrators and they say Cheerleader, band and Indianette parents are the worst. 

On 12/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, Hagar said:

Old Buddy, you’re about 2 & 1/2 pages late with this advise.  Seems some have tarred & feathered BF already.  If true, one very strange decision, if based on football.  And folks need to remember that PNG is about 400 students (Ned 500) in the hole each year.  There’s a reason Crosby & Barbers Hill come up in the top four so often.  Imo 5A-D2 has the biggest disparity in all the Classifications.  Sure, there are no doubt exceptions, but not many.  Those numbers mean something or the the UIL wouldn’t use them.

Just to be clear, Crosby was making the playoffs 15 years ago as one of the smallest schools in the district. BH actually won the district one year as the smallest school. There are a lot more "exceptions" to that rule than you think. Just off the top of my head I think about FB Marshall, SOC and Lucas Lovejoy. Heck, LH is growing but only had a stated enrollment of like 1,385 when they made the semis last year. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Just to be clear, Crosby was making the playoffs 15 years ago as one of the smallest schools in the district. BH actually won the district one year as the smallest school. There are a lot more "exceptions" to that rule than you think. Just off the top of my head I think about FB Marshall, SOC and Lucas Lovejoy. Heck, LH is growing but only had a stated enrollment of like 1,385 when they made the semis last year. 

Fifteen years ago, Crosby and Barbers Hill were in different districts that were much less competitive than the modern day 22-5ADII. And as I recall, both schools were getting thumped by PN-G in both predistrict play and the playoffs. I recall Crosby losing 37-7 one year and 38-7 the next, and Barbers Hill losing to PN-G five consecutive times over four seasons.

Fast forward to today, when both schools have 300+ students more than PN-G, a ton more upscale subdivisions in town and at least in Barbers Hill's case, lots of nice, new facilities and cash to spend on coaches from Allen, and it's a different story.

If there was a program that we can legitimately say was punching above its weight class back then, it was Dayton. Look at them now.

2 hours ago, PNGFaithful said:

Trust me I’ve known many administrators and they say Cheerleader, band and Indianette parents are the worst. 

I was a band parent, mine graduated this year. I've never been apart of a more supportive group. The band is huge. It takes a lot. The band gets the visitor concessions. The only time that side is packed is MCM.