NEDERLAND TOURNEY/Post updates here

So some teams that there had been big debates around competed here, HF and Lumberton.  I thought HF continued to prove themselves and now they are ranked in the TABC Top 25.  Lumberton was like a roller coaster ride in this tournament.  Same could be said for West Orange.  Anybody have any insight to the up and down play of these two teams.  

2 hours ago, catfever said:

So some teams that there had been big debates around competed here, HF and Lumberton.  I thought HF continued to prove themselves and now they are ranked in the TABC Top 25.  Lumberton was like a roller coaster ride in this tournament.  Same could be said for West Orange.  Anybody have any insight to the up and down play of these two teams.  

Lumberton went 2-2 and WOS went 0-4. I went to go watch the Fannett game and I’ll say this them, Silsbee, HJ are the best 4A teams around here and it’s not even close. We could very well have 3 top 10 4A teams in this area when it’s all said and done I was very impressed. 

1 hour ago, Charles in Charge said:

Fannett should have lost to Orangefield and got destroyed by Nederland.  That's top 10 to you?  I think Lumberton is closer to being ranked than Fannett when they get all there players healthy.

Fannett didn’t have football players back when they played or if they had them back it was for 2 days 

@The Natural is spot on.  I was able to watch a lot of the Nederland Tourney and thought that HF at times could play with anyone but they have to become more consistent (they have the pieces).  Saw HJ play Nederland at HJ and thought they are for sure a top 10 team in 4A, they're just missing a true big.  Silsbee can be beat but I would give them the edge over both HJ & HF.  Their strength of schedule is unmatched and will have them battle tested more than anyone.

Lumberton has the same screamer on the sideline that does more yelling than coaching and with no D1 kid it's a toss up who finishes 4th between Lumberton and WOS.  WOS is very undisciplined compared to years past with kids walking off the court and cussing the coach out.  It was embarrassing to watch the coach at the Nederland Tournament deal with his big kids the way he had to.

HJ and HF will have battles for the district titles this year.  Silsbee, LCM, OF and toss up for fourth in my opinion comes out of District 22-4A this year.  There is still a lot of ball to be played and a lot of things that can be fixed or broken.  

1 hour ago, Jerry West said:

@The Natural is spot on.  I was able to watch a lot of the Nederland Tourney and thought that HF at times could play with anyone but they have to become more consistent (they have the pieces).  Saw HJ play Nederland at HJ and thought they are for sure a top 10 team in 4A, they're just missing a true big.  Silsbee can be beat but I would give them the edge over both HJ & HF.  Their strength of schedule is unmatched and will have them battle tested more than anyone.

Lumberton has the same screamer on the sideline that does more yelling than coaching and with no D1 kid it's a toss up who finishes 4th between Lumberton and WOS.  WOS is very undisciplined compared to years past with kids walking off the court and cussing the coach out.  It was embarrassing to watch the coach at the Nederland Tournament deal with his big kids the way he had to.

HJ and HF will have battles for the district titles this year.  Silsbee, LCM, OF and toss up for fourth in my opinion comes out of District 22-4A this year.  There is still a lot of ball to be played and a lot of things that can be fixed or broken.  

What stood out to me:

#23 for Hf plays some lazy/undisciplined defense or he did at least versus humble. 4th qtr of that game #23 didn’t play but did play in the OT. 🤷‍♂️

I like the tenacity of hf s pg on both ends of the court.

I did not understand what type of press that was that hf ran…..almost seemed like a waste of energy. 

HF will go far as long as the defense plays as one unit. 
season is still early and with a new coach…hopefully they get into a groove and look in sync 

1 hour ago, Jerry West said:

We have a newbie in here, that’s always been WOS problem and that won’t change, Lumberton just got one post player back and still waiting on another one once they get them back I think it will help a lot, one thing for certain they will play very hard and always will for Coach Mitchell and they will be well prepared.. OF better start scoring more if they are going to clinch a playoff spot I watch them against anahuac and it was like watching paint dry, Silsbee is by far 1, 2 I would put LCM and 3rd and 4th are toss ups. I think Fannett and Hj split during the season, does Huffman upset one of them is going to be the big question mark. 

15 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

Fannett should have lost to Orangefield and got destroyed by Nederland.  That's top 10 to you?  I think Lumberton is closer to being ranked than Fannett when they get all there players healthy.

To be clear, Lumberton lost by 41 to nederland and 30 to HF, but you think lumberton is better than HF because the horns "got destroyed by nederland" by 13 points, and won a close game against 7-2 orangefield?  Lumberton hasn't beaten a decent team all season.  The only two quality teams they played beat them by a combined 71 points.  I've heard of spin before, but you're taking it to the next level.  

11 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

To be clear, Lumberton lost by 41 to nederland and 30 to HF, but you think lumberton is better than HF because the horns "got destroyed by nederland" by 13 points, and won a close game against 7-2 orangefield?  Lumberton hasn't beaten a decent team all season.  The only two quality teams they played beat them by a combined 71 points.  I've heard of spin before, but you're taking it to the next level.  

Its all about matchups, Png lost go double OT against lcm and Png beat OF, Lumberton beat Png by 10, all about how you matchup 

I watched a lot of the Nederland tournament and will give you my thoughts for what it is worth.  LCM beats Lumberton easy.  Orangefield has one kid that can get hot from the 3 and knows how to drive.  Huffman did not impress me at all.  I think HJ and HF beat Huffman with no problem. I can see HF and HJ splitting.  HJ can get hot and are hard to beat.  HF is more physical and athletic.  If the HJ point guard is not hot then I think HF wins.  As stated above, Lumberton can't compete against teams that have any talent.  I expected more from them.  I have not seen Silsbee play yet this year.  Obviously not all teams mentioned were in the Nederland tournament, but I have seen all that I have mentioned.  In regard to WOS, coach has some talented kids, but from what I hear, one of his best didn't play and the other big was limited in play time (discipline issues)

3 minutes ago, locker room talk said:

I watched a lot of the Nederland tournament and will give you my thoughts for what it is worth.  LCM beats Lumberton easy.  Orangefield has one kid that can get hot from the 3 and knows how to drive.  Huffman did not impress me at all.  I think HJ and HF beat Huffman with no problem. I can see HF and HJ splitting.  HJ can get hot and are hard to beat.  HF is more physical and athletic.  If the HJ point guard is not hot then I think HF wins.  As stated above, Lumberton can't compete against teams that have any talent.  I expected more from them.  I have not seen Silsbee play yet this year.  Obviously not all teams mentioned were in the Nederland tournament, but I have seen all that I have mentioned.  In regard to WOS, coach has some talented kids, but from what I hear, one of his best didn't play and the other big was limited in play time (discipline issues)

So lcm beats Png by 2 in double OT and Lumberton beats Png without their post players  by 10 Lcm vs lumberton is always a battle, Lumberton lost a special player last year and a pretty dang good guard and you expect more out of them lol when they are 5-2 which isn’t bad being so early. Huffman will be fine once they find their identity, I think LCM Vs Huffman will be a good game tonight. HF has way more depth than HJ and I could actually see Fannett running away with that title. Fannett isn’t more physical than Hj, Fannett really doesn’t have a post player and HJ has two good bullies down low, all about matchups my friend. Nederland also has made strides just in the last week by watching them play in the tourney that what happens to a veteran ball club who has 10 plus seniors. 

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

So lcm beats Png by 2 in double OT and Lumberton beats Png without their post players  by 10 Lcm vs lumberton is always a battle, Lumberton lost a special player last year and a pretty dang good guard and you expect more out of them lol when they are 5-2 which isn’t bad being so early. Huffman will be fine once they find their identity, I think LCM Vs Huffman will be a good game tonight. HF has way more depth than HJ and I could actually see Fannett running away with that title. Fannett isn’t more physical than Hj, Fannett really doesn’t have a post player and HJ has two good bullies down low, all about matchups my friend. Nederland also has made strides just in the last week by watching them play in the tourney that what happens to a veteran ball club who has 10 plus seniors. 

PNG is up and down.  I was somewhat suprised that Lumberton beat PNG.  I think LCM has no problem with lumberton.  I don't totally disagree with your HF/HJ analysis but I still think they likely split.  With all of these teams and games.  If one team gets hot and eliminates turnovers, they can win.  Turn the ball over and miss shots, it is hard to win.  Overall, I stand by my above post.  I do get your point though.

17 minutes ago, locker room talk said:

PNG is up and down.  I was somewhat suprised that Lumberton beat PNG.  I think LCM has no problem with lumberton.  I don't totally disagree with your HF/HJ analysis but I still think they likely split.  With all of these teams and games.  If one team gets hot and eliminates turnovers, they can win.  Turn the ball over and miss shots, it is hard to win.  Overall, I stand by my above post.  I do get your point though.

Lumberton actually beat Png pretty good with not having there 2nd best player, I do see a split happening but I see Fannett winning that district.