East Texas Girl Killed By Father in Hunting Accident

bullets13

I can’t even imagine trying to live with yourself after that.  I’m having trouble envisioning a scenario where she was out in the woods and he mistook her for a deer.  If I were a betting man I’d guess it happened while entering or exiting a deer blind.  I’m not always great about unloading my rifle before getting in and out, but I dang sure did when I had my daughter with me a couple of weeks ago.  It’s one of the few times you’re ever in a situation where you might not have full muzzle control.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I can’t even imagine trying to live with yourself after that.  I’m having trouble envisioning a scenario where she was out in the woods and he mistook her for a deer.  If I were a betting man I’d guess it happened while entering or exiting a deer blind.  I’m not always great about unloading my rifle before getting in and out, but I dang sure did when I had my daughter with me a couple of weeks ago.  It’s one of the few times you’re ever in a situation where you might not have full muzzle control.  

It was one or the other because I see the time of the 911 call was about 5:15 PM. It is getting very dark in the woods about that time. The likely scenarios are that she was hunting nearby and he stupidly fired or because it was getting dark, they were getting out of the blind to head for the car or camp and something went wrong.

I am usually adamant about unloading my firearm when moving around like getting in and out of a blind. I might walk with it loaded, particularly in the dark.

I almost always at least open the bolt before I move.

16 hours ago, bullets13 said:

There is no way he will ever be the same. I can't even let my mind think about it.....

Read an article stating the dad thought he’d cleared his weapon.  He was “adjusting the gun in his vehicle” when the gun went off, striking his daughter. “The father was clearing the hammer of his high-powered rifle and when he tried to drop the hammer, he believed the firearm was unloaded.”  It wasn’t, and he struck his daughter. 

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Read an article stating the dad thought he’d cleared his weapon.  He was “adjusting the gun in his vehicle” when the gun went off, striking his daughter. “The father was clearing the hammer of his high-powered rifle and when he tried to drop the hammer, he believed the firearm was unloaded.”  It wasn’t, and he struck his daughter. 

That is simply a mistake that I doubt I could live with......

I was reading the comments in another forum. There was a lot of sympathy for the father and it was a tragic accident and so on. The bottom line is the father assumed that the gun was unloaded from the latest explanation. His negligence in not checking the gun, then pointing it at his daughter and trying to let the hammer down (I think he just pulled the trigger), caused the death of a small child. it seems like people thought that it was unbelievable, horrible and nothing but a tragic accident. Absolutely….. And this was likely from a very experienced hunter and person who had been around guns for 25 or 30 years.

Most of those same people want to hang Alec Baldwin for…. not checking the gun, pointing it at someone else……. And this from a guy who probably knows nothing about guns and trusted another person who was supposed to be an expert they said it was empty.

Apparently if you’re you are very experienced with firearms but related to the person you killed by doing almost exactly the same thing, it is acceptable, even if it is a small child. 

Hypocrisy?

I am not claiming that everybody feels that way. I just find it odd that some people think that one situation is a horrible tragedy and there is no need for further action. The same person will turn around in another horrible tragedy and be adamant that somebody needs life in prison for the other similar situation. 

I think so much of the anger towards Baldwin had to do with his political affiliations.  I also remember glee from the left when VP Cheney peppered his friend on a bird hunt.  

You have to admit that somebody who actively wants gun rights restricted, but then makes themselves rich by PRETENDING to use guns, then does something hare-brained like pointing an "unloaded" gun at a group of people and pulling the trigger while not even filming is kinda ironic/karmic. EVERYBODY gets taught "don't ever point a gun at somebody.... even if it's unloaded."  Also, there is a substantial difference between a misfire/accidental discharge like in the hunter's case and pointing a gun at somebody and pulling the trigger.  Or at least that's my understanding of what happened.  

But I agree... reactions are 100% political and hypocritical.