Crosby vs Texas High

Cougar14.2

Crosby gets an undefeated Texas High for a second consecutive year. Last year in the area round is was 62-28 early in the fourth quarter then Crosby got off the gas. Can the Tiger avenge the their underwhelming performance from last year? 

Texas High looks to be a little better on defense than they were last year and slightly less effective on offense than their previous campaign. Crosby’s defense probably isn’t what it was last year but the offense seems pretty equivalent. Does Crosby win back to back regional titles or does TH avenge last year’s drubbing? 

Common opponents: 

PNG 21 - TH 44

Marshall 12 - TH 27

PNG 28 - Crosby 69

Marshall 14 - Crosby 52

Actually we have three common opponents, which is unusual.

Crosby 57 Texas City 28

Texas High 31 Texas City 0

I am interested in the Crosby district mates that have played the Tigers, honest assessment. I think your opening comments are fair. The key for Texas High will rest with the 11 that brought them to this point - the defense. They don’t need to over commit as they did last year. I think one of the interesting battles will be the Cougar passing game versus the Tiger’s secondary. I am impressed that Myles only has 3 interceptions. He will be facing an opportunistic group that has 20-25 INTs this season. Looking forward to the rematch.

32 minutes ago, Bordertown said:

Actually we have three common opponents, which is unusual.

Crosby 57 Texas City 28

Texas High 31 Texas City 0

I am interested in the Crosby district mates that have played the Tigers, honest assessment. I think your opening comments are fair. The key for Texas High will rest with the 11 that brought them to this point - the defense. They don’t need to over commit as they did last year. I think one of the interesting battles will be the Cougar passing game versus the Tiger’s secondary. I am impressed that Myles only has 3 interceptions. He will be facing an opportunistic group that has 20-25 INTs this season. Looking forward to the rematch.

Crazy I forgot that one. Crosby was 36-7 against Texas City at the half, 50-13 after three quarters. 

Crosby didn’t have a lot better athletes than TH did last year, I just thought we looked a lot better coached. TH didn’t seem like they knew what to do on defense the entire night? Last year TH had an advantage on Crosby at about half the position groups on the field, this year they don’t. 

My shorthand analysis of this game is, ”Can the TH offense score more than the 52 points Crosby will get on their defense?” 

2 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Crazy I forgot that one. Crosby was 36-7 against Texas City at the half, 50-13 after three quarters. 

Crosby didn’t have a lot better athletes than TH did last year, I just thought we looked a lot better coached. TH didn’t seem like they knew what to do on defense the entire night? Last year TH had an advantage on Crosby at about half the position groups on the field, this year they don’t. 

My shorthand analysis of this game is, ”Can the TH offense score more than the 52 points Crosby will get on their defense?” 

You wanna bet on Crosby scoring 52? I'll take the under. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think it will be incumbent on the Tiger defense to make stops and disrupt your offense. Think the race is to 35. We have successfully handled your district mates that were averaging in excess of 35 ppg on offense. Crosby is a different animal and after last year they should be prepared. If you score 52, you have earned the win.

Crosby has scored over 50 in 9 of the last 10 games.  Texas High hasn’t scored 50 all year.  I agree that Texas will have to keep the Cougars short of that mark to get the win.  

I think this game may still go to the wire.  Maybe it’s a 44-41 game.  Take Crosby since all the playoff luck has followed them over the last 11 months.  

Had to copy and paste this from the other post. Couldn't waste my good assessment.

TH haven't had to score 50 to win.  Their defense is not only fast but they're  disciplined. I know one thing they are not going to play press man all night against us like they did PNG. Somebody getting cooked. 

I trust Crosby coaching staff to find ways to exploit that defense and I trust Crosby defense to make some stops. They won't have the success Manvel and Consol had running the ball. I'm thinking something like "Hagler vs Hearns" with Crosby being Hagler. Starts out as a brawl but ends in a emphatic KO

19 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

TH haven't had to score 50 to win. 

That’s because we haven’t given up 50 points.😎 Could have easily hung 50 on PNG, but there was no need. Shut it down after 3 quarters.  I think the Crosby offense will be tested. Likewise, the Tiger defense will be tested. Question to be decided Friday - which one passes the test. 

20 minutes ago, Bordertown said:

That’s because we haven’t given up 50 points.😎 Could have easily hung 50 on PNG, but there was no need. Shut it down after 3 quarters.  I think the Crosby offense will be tested. Likewise, the Tiger defense will be tested. Question to be decided Friday - which one passes the test. 

We put 49 on PNG at the half. 

so saying you can score 50 on PNG means literally nothing to Crosby. 

7 hours ago, Bordertown said:

I think it will be incumbent on the Tiger defense to make stops and disrupt your offense. Think the race is to 35. We have successfully handled your district mates that were averaging in excess of 35 ppg on offense. Crosby is a different animal and after last year they should be prepared. If you score 52, you have earned the win.

You’ve only handled our district mates because y’all didn’t play Crosby in the second round like you did last year. You saw what we did in the second round to your district mate versus what y’all did to them though. Crosby may have 35 at the half against TH?

Yeah, TH’s defense is statistically 1.25ppg better than it was last year but I don’t really see anything drastically different that says they’ll be able to slow Crosby down. I actually thought the defense looked better with Clayton Smith last year, Brown plays that role now and he’s not near the player Smith was. Plus y’all still try to play that press man coverage we burned y’all in last year. Our district mates you had the success against didn’t have the personnel to take advantage of those flaws, Crosby does though. 

Offensively I just don’t think TH is all that great. They just scored 37 offensive points on the worst defensive team to make the playoffs from our district. Majority of those points were because PNG was taking bad run fits against that power play. QB consistently misses routine throws and I don’t see any stud playmakers on the outside. I don’t think Crosby is as physical as we were in the front seven last year but we’re faster and judging from the games I went back and watched I don’t think TH has the personnel to push us around up there like AMC did. 

I always say playoffs are about matchups and I think this is a much more favorable one than what we lined up with against AMC. AMC is a mirror image of BH and Crosby struggled with them too, very similar scores in those contest. We haven’t struggled with anybody else since early September though. 

39 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Word from the east tx forum is T high has some starters that will miss due to grades. Wanted to see a good game but if they are missing some starters I think Crosby advances. At least we will get a LH rematch. 

That's too bad.  hate to see it,  but school work is a big part of Friday night lights

1 hour ago, aledoalumni said:

Word from the east tx forum is T high has some starters that will miss due to grades. Wanted to see a good game but if they are missing some starters I think Crosby advances. At least we will get a LH rematch. 

That's so sad, kids not taking care of business sucks. They must be a 6 week system up there. 

2 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Don’t believe the Hype Crosby! This sounds like some of the rhetoric that Carthage started to get your guard down 😀 I’ll take the Coogs in this one. TH looked good against an improved PNG team from the regular season, but I think Crosby will cause to many match up challenges. Crosby by 14

I have seen both schools and there is no doubt in my mind that if Crosby does not turn the ball over they will win. Texas High does not have a lot of speed on the outside receivers and there is not a stand out player on the team. Crosby QB can scramble and this will kill Texas High when they blitz... I can see Crosby running away with this game...

36 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Don’t believe the Hype Crosby! This sounds like some of the rhetoric that Carthage started to get your guard down 😀 I’ll take the Coogs in this one. TH looked good against an improved PNG team from the regular season, but I think Crosby will cause to many match up challenges. Crosby by 14

Yeah that Carthage lie just keeps on growing. Had 5 OL out two RB's  and the middle linebacker got pregnant. And none of them recovered because they had the same team still playing 

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You’ve only handled our district mates because y’all didn’t play Crosby in the second round like you did last year. You saw what we did in the second round to your district mate versus what y’all did to them though. Crosby may have 35 at the half against TH?

Yeah, TH’s defense is statistically 1.25ppg better than it was last year but I don’t really see anything drastically different that says they’ll be able to slow Crosby down. I actually thought the defense looked better with Clayton Smith last year, Brown plays that role now and he’s not near the player Smith was. Plus y’all still try to play that press man coverage we burned y’all in last year. Our district mates you had the success against didn’t have the personnel to take advantage of those flaws, Crosby does though. 

Offensively I just don’t think TH is all that great. They just scored 37 offensive points on the worst defensive team to make the playoffs from our district. Majority of those points were because PNG was taking bad run fits against that power play. QB consistently misses routine throws and I don’t see any stud playmakers on the outside. I don’t think Crosby is as physical as we were in the front seven last year but we’re faster and judging from the games I went back and watched I don’t think TH has the personnel to push us around up there like AMC did. 

I always say playoffs are about matchups and I think this is a much more favorable one than what we lined up with against AMC. AMC is a mirror image of BH and Crosby struggled with them too, very similar scores in those contest. We haven’t struggled with anybody else since early September though. 

Who is the pig playmaker Crosby has this year I need to watch ? #4? #20? Qb #10?just sayin . You were the exact guy predicting TC and png to beat t high. and now those teams are no good? Against TC it was you saying it was a great matchup for them and a trap game 24-17 type game and png you kept saying t high didn’t see an offense like Png since Crosby last year.  Yeah they wont be afraid to play man press cause they got a corner with a D1 offer 10 ints one in every playoff game so far. 15 at the other corner had a broke wrist last year vs y’all 2 year starter he’ll be alright neither one of them played vs y’all so they didn’t get cooked. No disrespect Not sure if you realize this but LB’s usually sure up a defense at the 2nd level making most of the tackles. Not even close they are better this year than last pure fact they can run  one LB with some d1 offers that wasn’t the case last year. and Brown will find ways to make plays . You’re right smith isn’t across from him so he gets a double team still has 13 sacks and probably 2-3 blocked punts few blocked extra points he will find a way to make an impact. 

imo Crosby oline is suspect 78 at left tackle and center 55 pretty big but outside of that we’ll see. If t high did lose players it’s gonna be uphill from the start. Not good when playing a team like Crosby but I think they’ll be up for it. Hope they are !  I think T high shows a little different look this week. We would have to go back to Jacksonville game to see plays open up they haven’t done anything special but they haven’t had to do anything other than run the ball to win all those games. I think it set them up pretty good coming in to this game just cause they haven’t had to show anything. Qb has had somewhat bad year but this one has been circled for him I think he’ll be ready.