Barbers Hill vs A&M Consolidated/ A&M Consolidated wins 41-35.

AggiesAreWe

Congratulations to the Hill on a great , exciting and successful year. Anytime you lose a close one, especially in playoff rounds, there are going to be decisions made, usually in the 4th, on plays that are questioned. Both teams had them. But as i said last week, the seniors from the Hill will be talking about their upset of FB Marshall at their 30th reunion if not longer, and a few what ifs about tonight. My teammates talk about our playoff loss to state champion Brownwood often, but beating Waco Midway also. Bittersweet . And this may be the tipping point class that sends the Hill to constantly reach multiple rounds  in the playoffs. Great job players, fans and new coaches. 👍🏻✝️🐻

7 hours ago, oldman said:

May could have been more if they didn’t have to transition. Please…. Explain that statement.

Sure.. transitioning to a new coaching staff your senior year that got here in July can’t be easy fir players or coaches. Just saying if TW didn’t head out I think the season would have been a little less chaotic. In the end the result may have been the same but we will never know. Next season should be more consistent with a full year under Abseck.

• Bigdog changed the title to Barbers Hill vs A&M Consolidated/ A&M Consolidated wins 41-35.
11 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Kid shouldn’t have gone out of bounds sure, the pass on 3rd and short can’t happen unless your committed to 4th down. Dunno I woulda run it on 4th. 

We all can say yea they shouldnt have passed it on 3rd down. If the ball isnt tipped #10 was wide open in the flats..  Run it on 3rd and get stopped short of the 1st ok.  Clock still gets stopped as AMC had 1 TO left. 

Now it would have been nice if they had stayed in bounds but high school kids in the moment..  You never know what you gonna get.

Barbers Hill. You were very much in doubt of making the playoffs. The team gel and then did the unthinkable and knocked of the number 2 team in the state. You then turned around and was a couple of plays from beating another top ranked region 3 team. What an incredible season and one that makes the entire district 12-5a proud. Love what you guys accomplished this season. We look forward to your support for the last two teams standing. I really believe that all season we were talking bad about our district because we are all beating up on each other and the reason for that is that we may have been better than we thought with a reeal state champion contender in Crosby. You guys did your part to make sure our district was put on the map. PNG has a tall task next week and we make no bones about it, We had the same tall order this past week. That is why we play the games. 12 5a has become one of the better district in the state this season. Barbers Hill you made us PROUD I take my hat of to you. 

One thing that isn’t getting mentioned enough is the breakdown of BH’s 3rd phase. For a school of that size, and talent base, they have to be able to produce better special teams play. Specifically punting and kickoffs.  Hats off to the QB for pulling double duty as the punter, but that team would have benefited greatly from better punts all night; especially that last one.  The short kickoffs appeared to be done out of necessity, but again, starting at the 35 vs the 20 makes a big difference.  The battle of field position matters in games like this and BH’s special teams execution hurt them at the worst times.  

3 hours ago, TWH99 said:

One thing that isn’t getting mentioned enough is the breakdown of BH’s 3rd phase. For a school of that size, and talent base, they have to be able to produce better special teams play. Specifically punting and kickoffs.  Hats off to the QB for pulling double duty as the punter, but that team would have benefited greatly from better punts all night; especially that last one.  The short kickoffs appeared to be done out of necessity, but again, starting at the 35 vs the 20 makes a big difference.  The battle of field position matters in games like this and BH’s special teams execution hurt them at the worst times.  

Stick to Volleyball 

7 minutes ago, oldman said:

Stick to Volleyball 

Hahaha, what a sensitive reply.  Better go get some kleenex for those blue tears of yours.  I guess you're cool with 20 yard punts and 30 yard kick offs then?  Come back with a better response next time or go ahead and sit this one out.  One thing for you to think about in the long offseason, what is BH going to do to get better disciplined against the read option so they don't get burned by lack of backside contain like they did most of last night?  

5 minutes ago, TWH99 said:

Hahaha, what a sensitive reply.  Better go get some kleenex for those blue tears of yours.  I guess you're cool with 20 yard punts and 30 yard kick offs then?  Come back with a better response next time or go ahead and sit this one out.  One thing for you to think about in the long offseason, what is BH going to do to get better disciplined against the read option so they don't get burned by lack of backside contain like they did most of last night?  

No blue tears here..  just a football fan that dislikes individuals that criticize contantly

5 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Barbers Hill. You were very much in doubt of making the playoffs. The team gel and then did the unthinkable and knocked of the number 2 team in the state. You then turned around and was a couple of plays from beating another top ranked region 3 team. What an incredible season and one that makes the entire district 12-5a proud. Love what you guys accomplished this season. We look forward to your support for the last two teams standing. I really believe that all season we were talking bad about our district because we are all beating up on each other and the reason for that is that we may have been better than we thought with a reeal state champion contender in Crosby. You guys did your part to make sure our district was put on the map. PNG has a tall task next week and we make no bones about it, We had the same tall order this past week. That is why we play the games. 12 5a has become one of the better district in the state this season. Barbers Hill you made us PROUD I take my hat of to you. 

Well said and Congrats on a great season!

46 minutes ago, TWH99 said:

The Defensive Coordinator came in with the new coach. The changed the defensive scheme during two a days. I would “assume” that HS kids were trying to adjust to new assignments and schemes in a short period of time could cause some breakdowns in assignments throughout the year. As far as punting goes, I know in the past a lot of teams use QB because there’s times where they scan before kicking and may take off. I don’t care for short kick offs, but even teams with a lot more talent do it.  Anyways, my .02

The defensive coordinator came and changed to "his" scheme before he even saw what personnel he had. They would have been better off sticking with last years DC's scheme. 

The QB did a good job most of the year punting, no complaints there but the short kickoffs were bad last night. Its not a bad idea having the QB punt because it does make the defense have to play honest for a potential fake. Just kick it out of bounds or kick it high enough they have to fair catch it. 

And how can there not be a kid on the soccer team that can kick long field goals? Surely there is one. 

I dont know how they replace the QB next year, he made so many critical yards with his legs and tough running. He is a very tough kid. The RB was also a very tough runner when healthy. 

oldman is a BH coach, he is sensitive to any coaching criticism.  He should probably stay off the boards but he cant help himself. 

29 minutes ago, kenny powers said:

The defensive coordinator came and changed to "his" scheme before he even saw what personnel he had. They would have been better off sticking with last years DC's scheme. 

The QB did a good job most of the year punting, no complaints there but the short kickoffs were bad last night. Its not a bad idea having the QB punt because it does make the defense have to play honest for a potential fake. Just kick it out of bounds or kick it high enough they have to fair catch it. 

And how can there not be a kid on the soccer team that can kick long field goals? Surely there is one. 

I dont know how they replace the QB next year, he made so many critical yards with his legs and tough running. He is a very tough kid. The RB was also a very tough runner when healthy. 

oldman is a BH coach, he is sensitive to any coaching criticism.  He should probably stay off the boards but he cant help himself. 

I agree, not sure if Oldman is current coach, former coach or overly sensitive parent, but message boards might not be the place for him.

Anyways, my assessment of the defense wasn't a slight on the kids, they are confined to the system that is designed by coaches. Discipline on the backside is something that needs to be ironed in with repetition during practice.  Switching to a new defensive philosophy that might not be in tune with the strengths of the current roster really puts those kids up against a wall.

On the QB punting, like I said, I commend him for wearing both hats.  In games like this the ability to change field position would have been so critical for BH.  For the most part his punts were okay, but that last one was unfortunate.  All in all, that QB played a very good game, he made critical plays with his legs and had a few good throws. 

Also, just so oldman doesn't think I am 100% negative, I thought BH's interior Oline play was pretty good most of the night.  The tigers had some big dudes playing on their Dline and for the most part BH held their own.

23 hours ago, Coachbearoso said:

Congratulations to the Hill on a great , exciting and successful year. Anytime you lose a close one, especially in playoff rounds, there are going to be decisions made, usually in the 4th, on plays that are questioned. Both teams had them. But as i said last week, the seniors from the Hill will be talking about their upset of FB Marshall at their 30th reunion if not longer, and a few what ifs about tonight. My teammates talk about our playoff loss to state champion Brownwood often, but beating Waco Midway also. Bittersweet . And this may be the tipping point class that sends the Hill to constantly reach multiple rounds  in the playoffs. Great job players, fans and new coaches. 👍🏻✝️🐻

Thank you sir. Its good to hear some true compliments instead of the left handed comments and critiques that follow BH so much. You echoed what I said at the beginning of this season, that the groundwork was set this year even after a late start, and it ended up being a good season. In fact beating #2 FBM is the highest profile win in recent BH history. Of course BH wanted to go farther, but yes, there are some things to be proud of this year. Great job Eagles!     

19 hours ago, BHFAN said:

Sure.. transitioning to a new coaching staff your senior year that got here in July can’t be easy fir players or coaches. Just saying if TW didn’t head out I think the season would have been a little less chaotic. In the end the result may have been the same but we will never know. Next season should be more consistent with a full year under Abseck.

Yep. I don't why more people can't understand that. Absek still has not had an offseason with his team, yet.  

15 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Thanks! You are exactly right. "Gel" is the exact term I used earlier in this season when BH struggled to find an identity under a new coach and staff. The critics howled but anyone with any football knowledge should realize it takes some time. The predecessor had five years, but some did not even want to give Absek five weeks. We appreciate you kind words! Thank You and good luck PN-G!   

21 hours ago, TWH99 said:

Yes those pooch kicks had a low trajectory that allowed returns a couple that went almost to the house. If pooching it MUST get height to force a fair catch. Championship teams in any sport must do the following 1- Great defense 2- Run a mistake free basic offense 3-Have great SPECIAL TEAMS or plays as they flip fields and change big momentum 👍🏻✝️🐻