Liberty

PlayActionPass

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Some of the best coaches in the game never won one.  And.. some decent (at best) coaches won one or more due to some freakishly athletic players at opportune times. 

It all depends were one sets the bar.  I guess by some's opinion then a coach can be "one of the best" even going 0-10 every year.  

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

1st:  From 1st day of 2-a-days, a coaches goal is to win the district and win the State Championship.  Show me one that doesn't have that goal.  So, yes, that is the standard.  And, if a school district has any sense, they would make a hire with the goal of winning the State Championship.

2nd:  You have to wonder why he never won one.  Let alone play in one.  Personally yes he would have been gone.  Maybe the next one would have won 10 State Titles.  We'll never know.  But, again, what ever the school district is satisfied with.  But -- the fact is, Danaher never won one before or after the 7 years.

There is no question that the goal every year is to win the state title.. I'm talking about the standard to which you fire someone or not.  That's a little ridiculous.  Have some realistic expectations. 

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

It all depends were one sets the bar.  I guess by some's opinion then a coach can be "one of the best" even going 0-10 every year.  

I doubt anyone that has gone 0-10 every year would be on that list.  I mean the countless coaches that win 10+ or so games every year, make consistent playoff runs, and just do better with less.  Several folks on that list will spend an entire career having not gotten a ring. 

3 hours ago, KF89 said:

With the win state in 7 years or you are Fired philosophy, Neumann should have been fired at Nederland in 1999, Faircloth should have been fired at PNG in 2015 & Mathews should have been fired at Vidor in 2005.  All 3 are considered by the majority of setx high school football community as very good coaches & made the football programs better. Good thing Hooks won state at WOS before the 7 year limit was up.😁

Fact: Neumann never won a State Title.  Do you hold or do you fold?  My opinion:  Faircloth will not and Matthews will not win a State Title.  Again the difference is where you set the bar:  I want a great/elite-type coach not just a very good coach.  Oh, BTW -- doesn't the Vidor coach, after 22 years, still have a losing record.  Again --it's where you set the bar! 

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There is no question that the goal every year is to win the state title.. I'm talking about the standard to which you fire someone or not.  That's a little ridiculous.  Have some realistic expectations. 

If this is the coaches expectations every year -- then why is it ridiculous?!  So, in a reasonable amount of time, if the coach does not meet what their goal is every year, then why should this not be a firing standard?  

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

If this is the coaches expectations every year -- then why is it ridiculous?!

Quite a difference between a goal and what you're talking about.  Every good coach in the system will say that's their goal, train like a champion, have kids believing that they're winners, and do everything possible to win every game.. but will realistically know whether or not it's a legit possibility.  Coaches know their talent level and they know the other team's.  

On 1/6/2022 at 12:25 PM, oldschool2 said:

I doubt anyone that has gone 0-10 every year would be on that list.  I mean the countless coaches that win 10+ or so games every year, make consistent playoff runs, and just do better with less.  Several folks on that list will spend an entire career having not gotten a ring. 

This sentiment is exactly why I say Reginald Samples may be the best coach in the state the last 20 years considering where he's done it and who he's done it against. Samples has averaged something like 12.5 wins per season in 6A-D1 since taking 4A Dallas Lincoln to the state title game. Oddly enough no DISD team had been to the title game since, until SOC and one of his former players/understudy won a title this year. He has 311 wins in 32 years on the sideline, 10+ wins 14 of the last 15 seasons and has won 7 regional titles in the last 12 years. Dude is one of the greatest of all time.

20 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm intrigued.. What are you talking about?  What does one have to do with the other? 

I'm guessing you're from there?

Family is, just put it this way some people around there are pretending like they are DC politicians and every bad trend you see in the news they are doing. 

2 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Family is, just put it this way some people around there are pretending like they are DC politicians and every bad trend you see in the news they are doing. 

I don't watch the news.. please, enlighten me.  You mentioned "can't hospital expansions they desperately need done"..?  What does that even mean? There are no healthcare facilities in Liberty? 

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I don't watch the news.. please, enlighten me.  You mentioned "can't hospital expansions they desperately need done"..?  What does that even mean? There are no healthcare facilities in Liberty? 

There hospital they have there looks like a portable building. I was there about 13 years ago and it wasn’t in the best shape. I’d imagine with the new growth that Dayton is getting with large subdivisions they will be able to get a new hospital for the county. 

17 hours ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

There hospital they have there looks like a portable building. I was there about 13 years ago and it wasn’t in the best shape. I’d imagine with the new growth that Dayton is getting with large subdivisions they will be able to get a new hospital for the county. 

Makes sense.  But.. things that often make sense aren't the things that happen.