BISD lifts mask mandate

bullets13

I worked there last year, and I can say that it worked.  Didn’t have but maybe 8-10 cases in the entire school amongst kids the entire year, and no spreading in any classes.  I’m at a new district this year and we had a massive outbreak at the start of the school year.  At least 180 students across 4 campuses the first month of school.  Over 40 students got sick at my campus in that time, and it’s a similar size to the school I worked at last year.  That said, the students learn a lot better under normal conditions, and a lot of them now have natural immunity, which will slow outbreaks in the future.  I certainly enjoy teaching without a mask.  

12 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I worked there last year, and I can say that it worked.  Didn’t have but maybe 8-10 cases in the entire school amongst kids the entire year, and no spreading in any classes.  I’m at a new district this year and we had a massive outbreak at the start of the school year.  At least 180 students across 4 campuses the first month of school.  Over 40 students got sick at my campus in that time, and it’s a similar size to the school I worked at last year.  That said, the students learn a lot better under normal conditions, and a lot of them now have natural immunity, which will slow outbreaks in the future.  I certainly enjoy teaching without a mask.  

Well, since the vaccine is now available for kids 5-11, this may play a big part in the outbreaks slowing down.  Not really a believer in natural immunity in this case with Covid.  Too many people I know/knew that didn't make it though this pandemic.  

I think the timing is right locally with the disease being all but eliminated in our area.  I guess the real question is whether or not there will be another surge.

My hope is that the disease will continue to mutate and lose its punch, so to speak.  This last round was a lot worse as far as transmissions, but the rate of fatalities was actually lower than the first round.  I hope that trend continues, because I think it's safe to say that it's not going completely away in the near future.

I'm also convinced that the vaccines(s) aren't nearly as good as we'd all hoped. Big pharma is making too much money, and too much of it is going back to politicians.   I'm not surprised that they're now looking at a third shot... there were four spots on my vax card, not just two. 

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, since the vaccine is now available for kids 5-11, this may play a big part in the outbreaks slowing down.  Not really a believer in natural immunity in this case with Covid.  Too many people I know/knew that didn't make it though this pandemic.  

I'm not trying to say this in a callous way, and I don't want it to be misunderstood as such... I'm very much pro-vax, and in some situations i'm pro-mask.  But every person who gets infected becomes a dead end.  Either they fight it off and develop immunity, or they don't make it, and are no longer able to pass it on.  Vaccinations provide protection, there's no doubt about that.  But if I could trade my artificial immunity for the real thing (with no consequences) I'd gladly do it.  

14 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I'm not trying to say this in a callous way, and I don't want it to be misunderstood as such... I'm very much pro-vax, and in some situations i'm pro-mask.  But every person who gets infected becomes a dead end.  Either they fight it off and develop immunity, or they don't make it, and are no longer able to pass it on.  Vaccinations provide protection, there's no doubt about that.  But if I could trade my artificial immunity for the real thing (with no consequences) I'd gladly do it.  

It’s what I believe in. According to the statistics, I should be dead. They have a stat for everything. I would like to see the numbers on people who had Covid, survived, and did not get Covid again. I know it’s an ongoing stat, but so are the rest of them. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Gotcha

1 hour ago, baddog said:

It’s what I believe in. According to the statistics, I should be dead. They have a stat for everything. I would like to see the numbers on people who had Covid, survived, and did not get Covid again. I know it’s an ongoing stat, but so are the rest of them. 

Yes, I know people who’s caught it more than once.  Yes, there is a natural immunity.  I also know that even with the natural immunity, you can get double or even triple vaxxed to get the maximum immunity.  Know several that’s did it.  Chances of them catching it again or get hospitalized or even suffer any kind of symptoms decreases substantially.  

8 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Yes, I know people who’s caught it more than once.  Yes, there is a natural immunity.  I also know that even with the natural immunity, you can get double or even triple vaxxed to get the maximum immunity.  Know several that’s did it.  Chances of them catching it again or get hospitalized or even suffer any kind of symptoms decreases substantially.  

Yes sir, but I want a stat, not simply an I know of this person and that person. Needs to be a bit more scientific. 

It's obvious that the vaccine won't keep you from catching Covid, and it won't keep you from transmitting it, either.  It's also obvious that you can catch it multiple times. 

About the only positive thing that I can come up with is that apparently vaccinated people require hospitalization or die at a rate that is almost 100x lower than people who have not be vaccinated.    Does that mean that it can still rip through a nursing home and kill 8 vaccinated elderlies?  Yes, it can... but across the board people who have been vaccinated are doing better. 

29 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's obvious that the vaccine won't keep you from catching Covid, and it won't keep you from transmitting it, either.  It's also obvious that you can catch it multiple times. 

About the only positive thing that I can come up with is that apparently vaccinated people require hospitalization or die at a rate that is almost 100x lower than people who have not be vaccinated.    Does that mean that it can still rip through a nursing home and kill 8 vaccinated elderlies?  Yes, it can... but across the board people who have been vaccinated are doing better. 

I have to find the information, but I recall reading a study that having the vaccine substantially decreases the chance of catching it or transmitting it.