Police investigating after Southeast Texas man robbed at gunpoint while trying to sell AR-15

BMTSoulja1

This is the hidden content, please

Very unsettling.  That's why I'm extra careful when responding to adds or try to sell something myself online.  I purchased a vehicle about 7 years back from one of these adds from a guy from Orangefield and was nervous, but I took some big precautions prior, during, and after the purchase. 

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Very unsettling.  That's why I'm extra careful when responding to adds or try to sell something myself online.  I purchased a vehicle about 7 years back from one of these adds from a guy from Orangefield and was nervous, but I took some big precautions prior, during, and after the purchase. 

I’m always very careful as well. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

We buy and sell a lot of stuff online.  Never, ever at your house.... always someplace public.   Take somebody with you.  Exercise your 2A... trust me, the other guy is carrying his. 

I did it and I first met at a public place wile riding with a passenger. When it came to going to their house, I had another person that followed us. Turns out, the person I was buying from was there with his dad.  So I assumed he wasn’t taking any chances as well.  

17 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I did it and I first met at a public place wile riding with a passenger. When it came to going to their house, I had another person that followed us. Turns out, the person I was buying from was there with his dad.  So I assumed he wasn’t taking any chances as well.  

We met some kids to sell a four wheeler at Walmart in Liberty.  They were out of Houston. There were two of us and three of them.  The guy who "knew about four wheelers" took if four a spin around the parking lot, then the guy who was actually buying it was gonna take it for a spin.  He hopped on, then stopped and handed his pistola to one of his friends for safekeeping.  We were laughing because I'm pretty sure that everybody was armed.  

It's also kinda funny how people don't realize what you're doing tactically.  There's a reason that I'm off to the side... and it's not social distancing, lol.  

On 11/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, CardinalBacker said:

We met some kids to sell a four wheeler at Walmart in Liberty.  They were out of Houston. There were two of us and three of them.  The guy who "knew about four wheelers" took if four a spin around the parking lot, then the guy who was actually buying it was gonna take it for a spin.  He hopped on, then stopped and handed his pistola to one of his friends for safekeeping.  We were laughing because I'm pretty sure that everybody was armed.  

It's also kinda funny how people don't realize what you're doing tactically.  There's a reason that I'm off to the side... and it's not social distancing, lol.  

yea, I sold a washer and dryer at my Dad's house.....kinda hard to meet to sell that. My wife stayed in the house with her gun ready, and I had mine on me. They ended up being a really nice older couple. I even through in a working microwave we replaced. You never know who going to show up.

5 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

yea, I sold a washer and dryer at my Dad's house.....kinda hard to meet to sell that. My wife stayed in the house with her gun ready, and I had mine on me. They ended up being a really nice older couple. I even through in a working microwave we replaced. You never know who going to show up.

I cannot agree with this!  It’s “threw” in, not “through” in.

Back to semi-seriousness…….

There are two ways a robbery goes down in a case like this. One is the seller claims to be selling something like a gun or maybe even something illegal like drugs. The buyer shows up with $1000 and is met with a gun to the face and he is robbed. Unlike robbing a random guy on the street who may or may not have money, in this case you know he’s agreed to have the money in hand.

The other way is the buyer is the robbery suspect. You are selling something he wants such as a gun or maybe even something illegal like drugs. The only thing is that he is not bringing money but instead bringing a gun to make the deal. So when you produce the merchandise and ask for the cash, you get a gun to the face and off he goes with your merchandise.

Never say never but I am guessing that someone is not going to show up at your house with intent to grab the washer and dryer and flee. If I was ever going to make a deal at home, that would probably be it. 

37 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I cannot agree with this!  It’s “threw” in, not “through” in.

Back to semi-seriousness…….

There are two ways a robbery goes down in a case like this. One is the seller claims to be selling something like a gun or maybe even something illegal like drugs. The buyer shows up with $1000 and is met with a gun to the face and he is robbed. Unlike robbing a random guy on the street who may or may not have money, in this case you know he’s agreed to have the money in hand.

The other way is the buyer is the robbery suspect. You are selling something he wants such as a gun or maybe even something illegal like drugs. The only thing is that he is not bringing money but instead bringing a gun to make the deal. So when you produce the merchandise and ask for the cash, you get a gun to the face and off he goes with your merchandise.

Never say never but I am guessing that someone is not going to show up at your house with intent to grab the washer and dryer and flee. If I was ever going to make a deal at home, that would probably be it. 

I'm sure you are right, but I was on high alert....lol

7 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

I'm sure you are right, but I was on high alert....lol

I would be. That’s why I said never say never. 😀

I am pretty sure that you know but I don’t go anywhere where I might come in contact with another human without being armed.

About 30 years ago I was playing tennis at the YMCA in Port Arthur with another officer. We were running around quite a bit, I was lunging for balls and play pretty aggressively. At about the time we finished the other officer told me, I think it’s the first time I’ve ever seen you without a gun. I then lifted up my T-shirt and showed him the .380 that I had strapped inside my shorts. His reaction was like… WHAT!? You played all that tennis with a gun on you?

Yep…

What gets me is all the people I see selling cheap stuff online.  These shoes are barely worn, asking $5.  I’m not meeting a stranger ANYWHERE for $5.  The last person I sold something to online and met in person was a shotgun off a hunting site.  He had several thousand posts, and the agreement was made on a public thread.  I kinda figured if anything happened it would be pretty easy to figure out who he was.  We still met at a Buccee’s, even though neither of us expected a problem.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

What gets me is all the people I see selling cheap stuff online.  These shoes are barely worn, asking $5.  I’m not meeting a stranger ANYWHERE for $5.  The last person I sold something to online and met in person was a shotgun off a hunting site.  He had several thousand posts, and the agreement was made on a public thread.  I kinda figured if anything happened it would be pretty easy to figure out who he was.  We still met at a Buccee’s, even though neither of us expected a problem.  

I would meet at Buc-ee’s just for an excuse for a beaver nuggets. Let’s see, I live in Nederland and the other person lives in Beaumont and we need to make a deal. Let’s drive to Buc ee’s in Baytown….. 😂😂😂

I noticed when people have stuff for sale online and I always think, why would I waste my time with that? Some of the stuff that is for sale I would either donate, find a friend that wants it or throw it in the trash. 🗑 

Maybe they are just hurting that much for money and need something for Ramen noodles to eat for a week.  If I was not in dire straits however, I would never bother selling something at that kind of  price, period.