You would think this would make Surratt haul out of Carthage. Probably wishful thinking.

lostaussie

11 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, spent way too much effort tryin to explain why we played down to BH that night. Looking at how there's a good chance BH will finish .500 or below, I don't think you can describe it as anything other than that. BH might finish the season without beating on playoff team outside of an HISD school. 

Crosby is well know for making every unrelated thread about themselves, that, and as you just proved yet again, BH in your head 24/7/365!  LOL!

14 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Crosby is well know for making every unrelated thread about themselves, that, and as you just proved yet again, BH in your head 24/7/365!  LOL!

LMAO, says the guy who literally hangs on every word I post. Y'all are 5-4 and a non-factor as usual, I promise you nobody is thinking about BH. That's why we're posting playoff threads talking about Madison, Marshall and FBM. 

Katy runs a dumbed down version of a true prostyle offense very run heavy carthage will do it all from I formation to spread it out and throw it around thats why they win you may load up and stop the run but they will throw for 400+ or or same way with stopping the pass they have over 300 different plays how many highschools do that? Also the defense has only been dominate last two years prior years they were just a good 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

They’re giving up about 10ppg this year and gave up less than that last year. I didn’t feel like going all the way back through but in the recent title years it looks like they only gave up 20ppg twice. Colleges don’t hire you to come run a pro-style offense. If that was the case Gary Joseph, who runs the best pro-style offense in Texas, would’ve been the most sought after guy in high school. You must not watch much high school football if Carthage’s offense is the only one you’ve seen like that, Katy has 9 titles running it. I definitely don’t keep up with them though, haven’t checked a single one of their scores since they played Crosby unless is comes across High School Scoreboard. 

They're not winning because of the offensive style, they win because the other schools they play that size have a talent deficiency. Colleges are looking for innovation like Briles and Morris brought, not the guy who’s going to line up in the I formation and hand it off or run play-action. When Texas hired Traylor he was coming off a 950 point season at Gilmer and seen right up there in the mold with Briles and Morris. I’ve never seen a coach turn down a 2.5X pay raise so he could continue to live in East Texas. 

I know you are not replying to Carthage posters, so no need to reply. I’m not necessarily trying to get in a debate, just clearing the air for others who might read this and are interested.

Surratt runs a true multiple set offense. That is pro-style. I think you guys are getting that mixed up with the old school pro-set out of I formation or split back like Katy runs. That is not what Surratt runs. He runs an extremely sophisticated offense that is pretty much concepts of every all rolled into one. He uses TE and FB in the I formation all the way to 5 wide empty set in the shotgun and everything in between. QB is checking into plays at the line of scrimmage from a particular set based on defensive looks. The OL has more blocking schemes than most college teams (and that comes from college lineman that have played at Carthage). Surratt offense when ran correctly with the right personnel is unstoppable. Very few times has it been unleashed to the max. Most of the best Carthage teams were not playing in 2nd halfs. Look at what Carthage did last year with staters playing about 1/2 of the games, even through most of the playoffs.  Carthage is very balanced and plays good D. So you are not going to see them scoring 70 a game even though they could. That s just it their style. A good Carthage offense will score about 700 points per year give or take in 16 games. So there is no comp with a team like Katy because they don’t run the same offense. Not even close. Btw I really like Katy’s offense. To be honest I don’t think another program in the state runs an offense like Carthage when the whole playbook is installed. And that doesn’t happen every year if you get what I mean. Have to have the QB and OL to make it happen. And elite TE doesn’t hurt.

Surratt is a offensive genius. There just isn’t another way to say it. He is a QB coach and OC when it comes down to it. You can look back at what he did with Ryan Mallet in the early 2000’s at THS and Surratt continued to mentor him until he was finished playing. He would come stay in Carthage for a couple weeks in the summer. Surratt won a state title as OC at THS and left for Carthage in 2007. Check out THS from about 2001 until 2006 and then look at what they did after Surratt came to Carthage. Norton had a hell of a staff, but still one guy leaves and wins 8 state titles in 14 years. And that was at the 2nd highest level in the state at THS. I know I sound like any other homer but it’s is what it is. I’m telling you legit football people around the state know. This guy just has “it”.

As the other guys mentioned Surratt has had plenty of opportunities to leave for positions similar to what Traylor had when entering the CFB ranks. I think people will see soon enough. He will move on when his son graduates IMO. Not trying to sound like a homer on this one. Surratt is seen by his peers as that dude. Coaches around the state know.

If anybody has time and wants to see what Surratt’s offense really looks like wide open and executed at a high level go watch last years state championship. Or the state title game with Kennedale in 2017 (just trying to think about games that will be on YouTube). Some witnessed it first hand against Silsbee in the 1st half of a playoff game in 2017. That was the best offensive performance I have ever seen at any level. Unreal execution.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:44 AM, house said:

Don Hyde at LaVega is a highly respected defensive mind in high school coaching.  We remember his comments before that championship game with Carthage when he said they dissected the Carthage offense and it took so many pages it boggled their mind. 

It was something crazy like 75 pages. I can’t remember the exact number. That was just different formations!