You would think this would make Surratt haul out of Carthage. Probably wishful thinking.

lostaussie

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Actually, TCU just fired Patterson. Surratt should at least be on their radar. 

Exactly!

And not at you but in general: John Outlaw rollin in his grave right now. Lufkin sucks. Ain't my Lufkin i grew up watching. 

51 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Holy Moly, I’m blown away for a school like UTSA to throw out that kind of money.  And why some college is not beating down Surratt’s door with a big contract amazes me.

yea i think they have lost their marbles on paying that kind of money.  Surratts time will come at the time of his choosing.  I know Carthage opponents are anxious for the day thus this topic comes up frequently.

9 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Actually, TCU just fired Patterson. Surratt should at least be on their radar. 

Why, there are 30 coordinators in the power 5 conferences who are more qualified? See the job Aranda is doing at Baylor, Smart at Georgia and Tucker in Michigan State. Everybody isn't Art Briles, most are Todd Dodge and a few are Chad Morris. Briles, Traylor and Morris were offensive wizards at the high school level. Surratt is more like Gary Joseph and Joey McGuire where defense was the main basis for their success. Patterson was a defense first guy and just got fired.  

58 minutes ago, house said:

yea i think they have lost their marbles on paying that kind of money.  Surratts time will come at the time of his choosing.  I know Carthage opponents are anxious for the day thus this topic comes up frequently.

UTSA is paying what they need to retain their guy. There's Texas oil money in San Antonio too and that type of contract wouldn't be approved by their donors if they didn't have it, plus they line themselves up for a nice payday if he decides to take another job. Prior to Traylor's contract at UTSA there were already about 15 group of 5 guys at $1.5M+ and 5 at or over $2M so that's not really all that eye-opening. 

53 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

I wonder if Patterson ends up at LSU? 

First two calls LSU should make are to James Franklin and Mel Tucker followed closely by Ryan Day. My fist call at TCU would be to Seth Litrell to see if I could get him on the cheap. Patterson recruited my cousin Christian Matthews hard coming out of Arlington Bowie and the reason I kept hearing about why he wasn’t landing more kids from the area was because of his style of coaching. His next job probably won’t be at a power 5 school unless they just want his recruiting ties. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Patterson was a defense first guy and just got fired.  

but that's after a very long and very successful career at TCU:

Patterson is winningest coach in Horned Frogs' history. Patterson has led the 

This is the hidden content, please
 to six conference championships—one 
 title in 2002; four 
 titles in 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011; —and nine 
 victories—including victories in the 
 and 
. His 
 finished the season undefeated at 13–0 after a 21–19 Rose Bowl victory over the Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day 2011, and ranked second in the final tallying of both major polls.

Its amazing Patterson did this with not near the all 4-5 star recruits UT etc. gets. Patterson thrived with lots of 3 stars with a few random 4's and 5's mixed in. Amazing really.   

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

but that's after a very long and very successful career at TCU:

Patterson is winningest coach in Horned Frogs' history. Patterson has led the 

to six conference championships—one 
 title in 2002; four 
 titles in 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011; —and nine 
 victories—including victories in the 
 and 
. His 
 finished the season undefeated at 13–0 after a 21–19 Rose Bowl victory over the Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day 2011, and ranked second in the final tallying of both major polls.

Its amazing Patterson did this with not near the all 4-5 star recruits UT etc. gets. Patterson thrived with lots of 3 stars with a few random 4's and 5's mixed in. Amazing really.   

Most of his success at TCU came prior to them joining the Big 12 in the WAC where TCU and Fresno St. had the most talent in the conference in a average basis. That success is why he got to keep his job even though half his season in the Big 12 he’s finished at or below .500. 

Outside of Boykin falling into his lap because he didn’t want to play receiver his only other plus season in the Big 12 was one year after Kenny Hill transferred from A&M. There are plenty of coaches who’ve won with three stars. Those fans in Baton Rouge will realize that the first time he loses to Mississippi St.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:20 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Why, there are 30 coordinators in the power 5 conferences who are more qualified? See the job Aranda is doing at Baylor, Smart at Georgia and Tucker in Michigan State. Everybody isn't Art Briles, most are Todd Dodge and a few are Chad Morris. Briles, Traylor and Morris were offensive wizards at the high school level. Surratt is more like Gary Joseph and Joey McGuire where defense was the main basis for their success. Patterson was a defense first guy and just got fired.  

You obviously have not keep up with carthage they have never had a dominant defense and has been known for there offense only highsvhool I know of that runs a true pro style offense. He was approached by texas before trayler but turned it down and has had numerous other offers . He will not be going anywhere till his son graduates then who knows he could own records they may never get broken if he stays 

1 hour ago, Bansheefan said:

You obviously have not keep up with carthage they have never had a dominant defense and has been known for there offense only highsvhool I know of that runs a true pro style offense. He was approached by texas before trayler but turned it down and has had numerous other offers . He will not be going anywhere till his son graduates then who knows he could own records they may never get broken if he stays 

They’re giving up about 10ppg this year and gave up less than that last year. I didn’t feel like going all the way back through but in the recent title years it looks like they only gave up 20ppg twice. Colleges don’t hire you to come run a pro-style offense. If that was the case Gary Joseph, who runs the best pro-style offense in Texas, would’ve been the most sought after guy in high school. You must not watch much high school football if Carthage’s offense is the only one you’ve seen like that, Katy has 9 titles running it. I definitely don’t keep up with them though, haven’t checked a single one of their scores since they played Crosby unless is comes across High School Scoreboard. 

They're not winning because of the offensive style, they win because the other schools they play that size have a talent deficiency. Colleges are looking for innovation like Briles and Morris brought, not the guy who’s going to line up in the I formation and hand it off or run play-action. When Texas hired Traylor he was coming off a 950 point season at Gilmer and seen right up there in the mold with Briles and Morris. I’ve never seen a coach turn down a 2.5X pay raise so he could continue to live in East Texas. 

On 11/1/2021 at 10:20 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Surratt is the offensive genius at Carthage, Preston is the defensive genius at Carthage. No matter what defense you throw at Surratt, he will adjust and pick you apart. 
Surratt is staying at Carthage at least until his son which is setting records as the eighth grade QB. They are undefeated and beating the paints off everyone they have played. He through five TDS in his last game. 
The 8th and 9th grades are loaded with talent. 

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

They’re giving up about 10ppg this year and gave up less than that last year. I didn’t feel like going all the way back through but in the recent title years it looks like they only gave up 20ppg twice. Colleges don’t hire you to come run a pro-style offense. If that was the case Gary Joseph, who runs the best pro-style offense in Texas, would’ve been the most sought after guy in high school. You must not watch much high school football if Carthage’s offense is the only one you’ve seen like that, Katy has 9 titles running it. I definitely don’t keep up with them though, haven’t checked a single one of their scores since they played Crosby unless is comes across High School Scoreboard. 

They're not winning because of the offensive style, they win because the other schools they play that size have a talent deficiency. Colleges are looking for innovation like Briles and Morris brought, not the guy who’s going to line up in the I formation and hand it off or run play-action. When Texas hired Traylor he was coming off a 950 point season at Gilmer and seen right up there in the mold with Briles and Morris. I’ve never seen a coach turn down a 2.5X pay raise so he could continue to live in East Texas. 

You need to dig a little deeper. 
Number 2 Gilmer minus 17 yards until 3 rd Quarter. 22 total yards rushing.  
Jasper 56 total yards. 
Rusk minus 8 yards rushing. 
Pleasant Grove 35 yards rushing. 
Madisonville minus yards rushing until back ups come in. 
The only team that ran the ball was Crosby and that was due to 6 starters out and five turnovers. 
There were 7 turnovers in the Rust game. 
The Dawg offense have 8 first time starters on varsity including the QB and have made a lot of turnovers deep inside the Dawgs side of the field. 
That is reason the Dawg D has given up 10 points a game. If the offense don’t turn the ball over. No one scores on this Dawg defense.

9 minutes ago, Horton said:

Surratt is the offensive genius at Carthage, Preston is the defensive genius at Carthage. No matter what defense you throw at Surratt, he will adjust and pick you apart. 
Surratt is staying at Carthage at least until his son which is setting records as the eighth grade QB. They are undefeated and beating the paints off everyone they have played. He through five TDS in his last game. 
The 8th and 9th grades are loaded with talent. 

Yeah, I guess for everything except the slot-t? Y’all keep middle school records out there? Prieto’s son plays qb for one of our middle school teams and we were smashing people 64-0 with running clocks but I bet if UT offers him $300k he’s gone? Couldn’t tel you the first thing about s record either. Maybe Surratt is a different type guy and prefers his kid to play against a lower level of competition than what he could have while he was living on the water in Lake Travis? 

If Surratt stays until his son is gone he’ll be almost 60. Bye the way, it’s a lot easier to “adjust” when you have the most talent in the class. Ask Tom Westerberg. 

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, I guess for everything except the slot-t? Y’all keep middle school records out there? Prieto’s son plays qb for one of our middle school teams and we were smashing people 64-0 with running clocks but I bet if UT offers him $300k he’s gone? Couldn’t tel you the first thing about s record either. Maybe Surratt is a different type guy and prefers his kid to play against a lower level of competition than what he could have while he was living on the water in Lake Travis? 

If Surratt stays until his son is gone he’ll be almost 60. Bye the way, it’s a lot easier to “adjust” when you have the most talent in the class. Ask Tom Westerberg. 

If you had a chance to coach your kid in a Texas high school state championship at cowboy stadium, you going to tell me you would pass that up. I call BS on that. Surratt has had many offers at the college level for big money but turned them all down. 
He is I believe the 2nd highest paid coach at the high school level. Some things mean more than money. 
After his son graduates his phone will be ringing off the wall. 

13 minutes ago, Horton said:

You need to dig a little deeper. 
Number 2 Gilmer minus 17 yards until 3 rd Quarter. 22 total yards rushing.  
Jasper 56 total yards. 
Rusk minus 8 yards rushing. 
Pleasant Grove 35 yards rushing. 
Madisonville minus yards rushing until back ups come in. 
The only team that ran the ball was Crosby and that was due to 6 starters out and five turnovers. 
There were 7 turnovers in the Rust game. 
The Dawg offense have 8 first time starters on varsity including the QB and have made a lot of turnovers deep inside the Dawgs side of the field. 
That is reason the Dawg D has given up 10 points a game. If the offense don’t turn the ball over. No one scores on this Dawg defense.

Lol, Crosby had 16 first time starters. Eight on each side of the ball. Thank you so much for posting these stats and proving my point to the other Carthage guy. Carthage wins with defense. 

I don’t care who you had out, same way you feel about you guys is the same way I feel about Myles limping around for a whole half and having to play a backup, who’s not even the backup now, at times. Ask PA Memorial and Barbers Hill what it’s like like to face him in the second half while he’s upright? You don’t feel like it would’ve been close and neither do I, and we were the ones who were actually up 17-0. 

I’m not going to reply to the Carthage people again because it’s a never ending saga, I know that game nearly three months ago now is still the high point is y’all’s season. 

4 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

This, coming from a Crosby poster? ROTFLMAO!!!

Yeah, spent way too much effort tryin to explain why we played down to BH that night. Looking at how there's a good chance BH will finish .500 or below, I don't think you can describe it as anything other than that. BH might finish the season without beating on playoff team outside of an HISD school.