Buna ISD Responds to Racist Photo of Blackfaced Student

BMTSoulja1

27 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So if this pic took place off campus at a private party and was not a school sanctioned, sponsored party, then why is the school involved or even brought into this?

So private parties are now the business of the school?

This is so lame.

I agree.  I also want to know how the school was associated.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So if this pic took place off campus at a private party and was not a school sanctioned, sponsored party, then why is the school involved or even brought into this?

This is so lame.

Technically the school could be within their authority but it is a very narrow exception. The Supreme Court has ruled that’s such speech how to create a “substantial disruption” in classes.

Way back in the mid-1960s, the Supreme Court ruled in Tinker v. Des Moines School District in a 7-2 decision that wearing black arm bands in class in protest of the Vietnam war was protected speech Under the First Amendment.

Interestingly a similar case came up in front of the Supreme Court as this Buna case just four months ago. If I remember the case, a cheerleader was on their JV squad and tried out for the varsity squad. She did not make the squad  and she made an off campus and off school time post (I will clean up the language) something like… screw school, screw cheerleading, screw everything.

In response the school district kicked her off at the JV squad. She sued school district and in their defense they stated that she called a substantial disruption in classes. As evidence they brought testimony that a couple of classes discussed her for a few minutes. The Supreme Court in and 8-1 decision stated that discussing the cheerleader for a few minutes and in some classes does not constitute a substantial disruption of the school. Like in most cases they don’t define what that is.  Would that require riots at the school? Many students walking out of class in protest? I don’t know because issues such as this are on a case by case basis. The Supreme Court gives guidance for the lower courts to follow. Sometimes they give very distinct answers, which are called Bright Line Rules, which must be followed but those are extremely rare. This is not one of those cases.

So for Buna ISD to be able to take any kind of action at all, they need to be able to document a “substantial disruption” in school and having some students or parents not liking it does not even come close to feeling that description, in my opinion.

The very essence of the first amendment is making comments that people don’t like. Otherwise it would not be needed.

12 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

This is the hidden content, please

Thoughts, fellas?

It’s hard to comment without being speculative. The lady who brought it to the school stated "We're no longer going to be quiet and let this go on.”… Let what go on?

Was the student being knowingly  disrespectful  by dressing up as Tyler Perry’s Madea? I'm at a loss. 

On 10/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Thoughts, fellas?

The fact that we're still having this conversation when "White Chicks" can be purchased, rented, or streamed is a bad joke. 

The idea that "I can do it, but you can't" in regards to costumes, words, etc, is possibly the dumbest thought pattern that has been in place since actual racism was an issue. 

Here's the problem in a nutshell... some white kid shared (not created) a blatantly racist tweet, then a gang of black kids beat the hell out of him, and the black parents don't understand why their kids are in trouble.  

The level of ignorance is just astounding... and it's another reason why that particular community can't get out of the past.  It's obvious that "sticks and stones" isn't a foundation for dealing with conflicts in that community. 

52 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Here's the problem in a nutshell... some white kid shared (not created) a blatantly racist tweet, then a gang of black kids beat the hell out of him, and the black parents don't understand why their kids are in trouble.  

The level of ignorance is just astounding... and it's another reason why that particular community can't get out of the past.  It's obvious that "sticks and stones" isn't a foundation for dealing with conflicts in that community. 

You cannot combat words with violence. Period

2 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

In your title you put the word “Racist”

do you find it racist for someone to dress up as madea?

It's the same old tired argument... ""The Eyes of Texas" hurts my feelings because it may or may not have been sung in blackface 200 years ago.  Y'all are a bunch of racists!!!"

And seriously... if you have a problem with a word, but only when spoken by people of a certain shade.... guess what?  YOU'RE the racist!

I mean in my college playing days me and teammates would get hair braided each week the day before game or day of…. Am I guilty of cultural appropriation…..of the 12 players 2 were white. All teammates were good with it and encouraged it. I even went on a few dates with a black girl…..uh oh…is that considered cultural appropriation?

To me the only one that seems racist is the one that brought this to light……tyeisha hall.

her son broke down…..I highly doubt that but then again if your being taught all things white are racist then maybe so.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

This is so lame.

I'm not saying it's not lame, but we had to run until we threw up, had players kicked off teams, etc. etc. etc. when I was in school for things that happened at private, non-sanctioned parties.  

I know i'm not as conservative as a lot of you guys, but I do lean to the right, and I have some definite issues with a lot of the liberal sensitivity and cancel culture going on these days.  That said, I've got a little different outlook on this one.  I can absolutely understand why African Americans find blackface offensive, and any white person stupid enough to wear it in today's social climate is an idiot who deserves whatever they get.  Do I think a kid dressing as Madea is the same as blackface used in old minstrel shows?  Of course not.  But if this kid told me in advance what he was planning, this is almost exactly how I would've expected things to play out.  

40 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I can absolutely understand why African Americans find blackface offensive

I literally cannot. Ask a black kid what a minstrel show is... Show a black audience the clip of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor where Gene Wilder has his face painted black (before the "black-face" phenomenon surfaced) and tell me how many of them laughed their butts off. It's all contrived.

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I literally cannot. Ask a black kid what a minstrel show is? Show a black audience the clip of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor where Gene Wilder has his face painted black (before the "black-face" phenomenon surfaced) and tell me how many of them laughed their butts off. It's all contrived.

I guess since Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor used the N-word a lot in blazing saddles it should be ridiculous for black people to be offended if a white person calls them that?  

Just now, bullets13 said:

I mean, I guess.  I guess since Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor used the N-word a lot in blazing saddles it should be ridiculous for black people to be offended if a white person calls them that?

Apples & Oranges friend. A young man dressing up as Madea is WAYYYYYYY different than calling a black person a derogatory slur. More like a Kiwi fruit & a tricycle... not even in the ball park.

10 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Apples & Oranges friend. A young man dressing up as Madea is WAYYYYYYY different than calling a black person a derogatory slur. More like a Kiwi fruit & a tricycle... not even in the ball park.

I agree that they're different, but it's the same type of logic.  (they did it 40 years ago, so why should they care now?)  Social norms have changed a lot.  What if a white guy calls a black guy the N-word but doesn't mean it as a slur and uses the soft A ending?  Is that okay then?  If he isn't trying to be offensive does it mean it's not offensive?

Just now, bullets13 said:

I agree that they're different, but it's the same type of logic.  (they did it 40 years ago, so why should they care now?)  Social norms have changed a lot.  What if a white guy calls a black guy the N-word but doesn't mean it as a slur and uses the soft A ending?  Is that okay then?  

It depends on the person receiving it. 

17 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I guess since Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor used the N-word a lot in blazing saddles it should be ridiculous for black people to be offended if a white person calls them that?  

Btw, Richard Pryor wasn't in Blazing Saddles...it was Cleavon Little. So you're saying they all look alike???

If you’re offended by somebody dressing up like a wholesome character…. You’re a racist. Plain and simple. 

There is no doubt that the person complaining is the only racist in this story. 

The fact that all of us are now like “oh, pardon my flag… I’ll go hide it so that you won’t be angry anymore” is a joke. I guarantee that Tyler Perry isn’t offended by all of those whiteys buying his dvds.