Bisd?

5GallonBucket

4 hours ago, mat said:

I have mixed feelings. In my day, fights were an occasional occurrence, a time or two I may or may not have been involved. If caught, the school would handle it. In most cases, I'm not in favor of criminal changes. Some yes, but I don't know where to draw the line. 

The school certainly should handle such problems. I don’t ever recall seeing a police officer at a school ever.

”Should handle” is the problem however.

What do you do with the students who may want to learn at least enough to be able to get a job when they get out of high school? Do you say oh well, you happen to go to a crappy public school or do you call in someone else like the police to try to gain control?

Maybe they could try something like this…

16 hours ago, mat said:

I have mixed feelings. In my day, fights were an occasional occurrence, a time or two I may or may not have been involved. If caught, the school would handle it. In most cases, I'm not in favor of criminal changes. Some yes, but I don't know where to draw the line. 

I thought the same thing.  I think TVC's opinion is interesting because it seems to me that the last thing you'd want to do is hang a kid with assault charges for a schoolhouse fight.  

When I was in school, a fight in PE or Athletics meant a quick trip to the coach's office and I'm certain that paperwork was never even sent in to the principals office.  You just got lit up and put back in line.  

I've got the opinion that the heavy-handed approach leads to situations where good kids can't defend themselves for fear of prosecution... which means that the kids who aren't afraid of prosecution can pretty much do whatever they want. I can't count the times that we saw a bully get taken down a peg or two, either by a victim or a samaritan.  Kids today just can't do that, and the end result is that the bad kids have a whole campus full of victims at their disposal.

But like I said.. it's been a while since I was in school.  

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I thought the same thing.  I think TVC's opinion is interesting because it seems to me that the last thing you'd want to do is hang a kid with assault charges for a schoolhouse fight.  

When I was in school, a fight in PE or Athletics meant a quick trip to the coach's office and I'm certain that paperwork was never even sent in to the principals office.  You just got lit up and put back in line.  

I've got the opinion that the heavy-handed approach leads to situations where good kids can't defend themselves for fear of prosecution... which means that the kids who aren't afraid of prosecution can pretty much do whatever they want. I can't count the times that we saw a bully get taken down a peg or two, either by a victim or a samaritan.  Kids today just can't do that, and the end result is that the bad kids have a whole campus full of victims at their disposal.

But like I said.. it's been a while since I was in school.  

I taught my kid from a young age that he had every right to defend himself against an attack.  It worked well for us, he was only in one fight and it lasted only a couple seconds as he only swung one time and put the dude on his butt. I picked him up from school and we went for dinner and ice cream. He was around 13. School imo should not have different self defense rules than real life.....I mean, school is suppose to prepare you for real life, right?  I see both sides, but my old school mentality can't make sense of letting yourself get beat up.