Bisd?

5GallonBucket

55 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Harsher punishment for what?

For any threats that are made/weapons on campus…..

but also just in general

need to bring corporal punishment back….everyone understands pain and usually don’t want to feel pain. It’s a much better deterrent than suspending in school or out of school(most of the ones getting trouble want to be out of the classroom) so why reward them as such.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

What was the reason for the lockdowns?

U name it….

been multiple things on multiple campuses.

United has had 2 or 3 within the week, gun on campus, bomb threat.

annex building had one last week

west brook had one yesterday, supposedly kid brought gun on campus

theres been others but I can’t keep up.

12 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

For any threats that are made/weapons on campus…..

but also just in general

need to bring corporal punishment back….everyone understands pain and usually don’t want to feel pain. It’s a much better deterrent than suspending in school or out of school(most of the ones getting trouble want to be out of the classroom) so why reward them as such.

I don’t disagree at all with your thinking however I think bomb threats on campus are a felony. Once a bomb threat is called in, it is in the hands of the police, not the school district. I actually caught, arrested and proved who made a bomb threat when I was a detectives. They filed charges on the student.

Corporal punishment is legal under state law however good luck in today’s world about getting that approved. While  that is a great dream, it simply will not happen.

4 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I don’t disagree at all with your thinking however I think bomb threats on campus are a felony. Once a bomb threat is called in, it is in the hands of the police, not the school district. I actually caught, arrested and proved who made a bomb threat when I was a detectives. They filed charges on the student.

Corporal punishment is legal under state law however good luck in today’s world about getting that approved. While  that is a great dream, it simply will not happen.

Well it used to be allowed at bisd until Dr Allen became sup.

13 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

At one time probably everybody allowed it. I certainly took a couple of swats in high school. 

I liked dr Allen when she was at Marshall and at United but since she became sup….im finding more and more things I disagree with her on.

if I got swatted  at school I got another when I got home.

too many parents want to be friends instead of parents

3 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Hey if a kid called in a threat to a school and it was proven they did it what happens to the parents? Anything?

Nothing that I know of. I have arrested and in detectives filed charges on several juveniles and they would never any charges to bring against the parents. Being a crappy parent is not a crime.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

some school districts still enforce it.  It's amazing how much better the students behave over here at my new district vs. my old one (BISD).

24 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

some school districts still enforce it.  It's amazing how much better the students behave over here at my new district vs. my old one (BISD).

Is it because of corporal punishment or the attitude of the district officials? Maybe both?

I know that nobody likes to air out their dirty laundry in public but having worked at a high school for security as a police officer (but not for the school district itself), I have arrested people on campus that the school district wished I had not. I am hesitant to use the word cover-up because they really didn’t cover anything up. Sometimes they’re highly suggestive to let the school district handle it internally. That never happened though. When I put handcuffs on someone, they are gone. An officer I were working at a high school and we watched one student assault another right in front of us. A teacher was standing between them and one reached over the teacher and smashed the other in the face. We arrested him immediately for assault of which he faced up to a year in jail. Some school officials came over and said that they would like to handle it. Nope. Off the student went to the County Jail.

That is what I am wondering about as far as having a school backing up discipline (not necessarily from the police but any type of discipline) and trying to brush it under the rug so that it does not go public. That is one of the criticisms I have with a school district police departments. They are state licensed police officers but answer to school district officials. I think that a lot of times that comes into a conflict of interest for the school is not necessarily worried about enforcing the law as much as they are having control over the officers  on the campus. Of course they will not say that but I have talked to school district officers before… When I worked on campus, we were contract labor and not worried about our boss being a school superintendent or principal.

There was actually a pretty big incident at a high school several years ago and I was on duty for my police department and responded along with many officers. I had a school official look at me and my partner and ordered us on how to handle the situation. Uhhhhhh……. No. When I got that “order” my only response to be official was “Excuse me?”.  We are pretty much turned around and ignored what was being said and went about our business.

But that goes back to my question. Is it the corporal punishment or the backing of the school district or some kind of combination of both?

Edited for tpyos  ….. maybe I still missed some

15 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Is it because of corporal punishment or the attitude of the district officials? Maybe both?

I know that nobody likes to air out their dirty laundry in public but having worked at a high school for security as a police officer (but not for the school district itself), I have arrested people on campus that the school district wished I had not. I am hesitant to use the word cover-up because they really didn’t cover anything up. Sometimes they’re highly suggestive to let the school district handle it internally. That never happened though. When I put handcuffs on someone, they are gone. An officer I were working at a high school and we watched one student assault another right in front of us. A teacher was standing between them and one reached over the teacher and smashed the other in the face. We arrested him immediately for assault of which he faced up to a year in jail. Some school officials came over and said that they would like to handle it. Nope. Off the student went to the County Jail.

That is what I am wondering about as far as having a school backing up discipline (not necessarily from the police but any type of discipline) and trying to brush it under the rug so that it does not go public. That is one of the criticisms I have with a school district police departments. They are state licensed police officers but answer to school district officials. I think that a lot of times that comes into a conflict of interest for the school is not necessarily worried about enforcing the law as much as they are having control over the officers  on the campus. Of course they will not say that but I have talked to school district officers before… When I worked on campus, we were contract labor and not worried about our boss being a school superintendent or principal.

There was actually a pretty big incident at a high school several years ago and I was on duty for my police department and responded along with many officers. I had a school official look at me and my partner and ordered us on how to handle the situation. Uhhhhhh……. No. When I got that “order” my only response to be official was “Excuse me?”.  We are pretty much turned around and ignored what was being said and went about our business.

But that goes back to my question. Is it the corporal punishment or the backing of the school district or some kind of combination of both?

I ve seen what you talk about.

it’s a combination of both

17 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

both.  and also staff morale plays a big part of it, and love of community.  you have kids out here that respect their elders, love their school and community, and know they'll get their butts busted if they mess up.  You have staff that loves their job, gets treated with respect by school officials, and are backed up by those officials when there's an issue in the classroom.  The same is true for several districts in this area.  But when you run into districts where there's no sense of community amongst students, no respect for authority, and where district officials don't back up their teachers, you end up with 6 lockdowns in two weeks.  

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

both.  and also staff morale plays a big part of it, and love of community.  you have kids out here that respect their elders, love their school and community, and know they'll get their butts busted if they mess up.  You have staff that loves their job, gets treated with respect by school officials, and are backed up by those officials when there's an issue in the classroom.  The same is true for several districts in this area.  But when you run into districts where there's no sense of community amongst students, no respect for authority, and where district officials don't back up their teachers, you end up with 6 lockdowns in two weeks.  

Having never worked in a school except as a police officer, I suspect that is a big part of it.

Getting licks worked.....

My son was acting up trying to be a comedian in I think 4th grade.  We had a teacher/principle conference including my Son.  They wanted to put three post it notes on his desk daily and every time he disrupted the class they would remove one note. When he ran out of notes he would be sent to principle. The punishment there would be running on a treadmill.  I listened to this discipline plan with a grin. When they asked me my opinion, I told them I disagreed.  He will have one post it note, not three.  This would give him one warning then a trip to the office. In the office he would receive three licks, not run on a treadmill.....he was an athlete, that was exercise not punishment. My Son looked at me in disbelief when I said licks....lol   The principle agreed, I signed a form, and he NEVER made it to the principle.......but my guess is he lost that one post it note daily......lol     

I have mixed feelings. In my day, fights were an occasional occurrence, a time or two I may or may not have been involved. If caught, the school would handle it. In most cases, I'm not in favor of criminal changes. Some yes, but I don't know where to draw the line.