Carthage vs Jasper

Hagar

Can’t believe there hasn’t been a thread on this game (if there is one, I didn’t see it). Imo, this will be a low scoring affair.  Will Carthage win?  Almost a lock, but here’s the deal - Carthage offense not firing on all cylinders - Jasper’s defense is awesome (as is Carthage’s D).  This may be the lowest scoring game for Carthage all year unless Jasper gets turnover crazy.  I’ll put the O/U at 36 points.  😜

Just now, Hagar said:

Can’t believe there hasn’t been a thread on this game (if there is one, I didn’t see it). Imo, this will be a low scoring affair.  Will Carthage win?  Almost a lock, but here’s the deal - Carthage offense not firing on all cylinders - Jasper’s defense is awesome (as is Carthage’s D).  This may be the lowest scoring game for Carthage all year unless Jasper gets turnover crazy.  I’ll put the O/U at 36 points.  😜

I'm thinking 28-0.  But I could see Jasper scoring if Carthage offense does something silly or if that tough Jasper D makes a great play and scores defensively.  

However, if the Carthage Offense is truly improving and it wasn't just that they were playing Center's defense, maybe there is some wiggle room on the points.  

2 hours ago, RonStopable said:

I just had the opportunity to watch the Carthage/Center game. Carthage may have improved some on offense but It’s hard to judge with Center’s defense. 
This game may be more interesting than I originally thought.  
I know I will regret saying this but Jasper could pull the upset. 

Easy now just cause they whooped up on a overrated rusk don't mean they are at carthage lvl

4 hours ago, Bansheefan said:

Easy now just cause they whooped up on a overrated rusk don't mean they are at carthage lvl

I’m not saying they are on the same level. Carthage is not “hitting on all cylinders” offensively yet. Jasper has an extremely good defense and I’m not saying that because they whooped us 7-0 (never seen that score considered a “whooping” but whatever) Even with our weak schedule we avg 44 ppg coming into the Jasper game.
PNG scored 14 on Jasper they avg 33 ppg against everyone else. Vidor scored 8 they avg. 36 ppg and LCM scored 13 they avg. 33 ppg. Say what you want but Jasper is not giving up many points to anyone. If Carthage was rolling on offense at the moment it’s not contest but they are not. In a low scoring game anything can happen. One broken play, special team score, ect. can swing a game to either side. 

I’m not predicting a Jasper win. I believe Carthage will do enough on offense to win the game and Jasper will not score on offense. But if Carthage’s offense struggles.... you never know. 

1 hour ago, RonStopable said:

I’m not saying they are on the same level. Carthage is not “hitting on all cylinders” offensively yet. Jasper has an extremely good defense and I’m not saying that because they whooped us 7-0 (never seen that score considered a “whooping” but whatever) Even with our weak schedule we avg 44 ppg coming into the Jasper game.
PNG scored 14 on Jasper they avg 33 ppg against everyone else. Vidor scored 8 they avg. 36 ppg and LCM scored 13 they avg. 33 ppg. Say what you want but Jasper is not giving up many points to anyone. If Carthage was rolling on offense at the moment it’s not contest but they are not. In a low scoring game anything can happen. One broken play, special team score, ect. can swing a game to either side. 

I’m not predicting a Jasper win. I believe Carthage will do enough on offense to win the game and Jasper will not score on offense. But if Carthage’s offense struggles.... you never know. 

against PNG the defense only gave up 7pts.

unfortunately the other 7 was literally on the last play of 1st half when Jasper fumbled and PNG scooped and scored.

the game was called at beginning of 3rd quarter because of lighting.

just saying......

12 hours ago, RonStopable said:

As a Carthage fan, I absolutely see where you are coming from.  Carthage fans are excited to see what happens tonight so we can get an idea of if the offense has truly made some strides yet or not.  It's been about consistency at the QB position and cleaning up sloppy mistakes such as bad snaps/exchanges and missed assignments.  

As excellent as Jasper's defense has been, this should be a great measuring stick for the Carthage offense.  

22 hours ago, RonStopable said:

I just had the opportunity to watch the Carthage/Center game. Carthage may have improved some on offense but It’s hard to judge with Center’s defense. 
This game may be more interesting than I originally thought.  
I know I will regret saying this but Jasper could pull the upset. 

The ONLY way I see that happening is if Carthage turns the ball over on a very short field. If that happens multiple times, things will get interesting.

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

The ONLY way I see that happening is if Carthage turns the ball over on a very short field. If that happens multiple times, things will get interesting.

And then, maybe.  If Jasper can just keep it respectable it’ll be impressive.   As you well know, Carthage is that good.

some of you are already familiar with what I am about to say.  but anywho....

alright then....today is the day.

so much I really want to say but I will try to get to the point(s) asap.

starting with Jaspers ATROCIOUS offense. Pre season I was looking forward to us having/running a new "multiple set spread" offense as coached called it. Of course it would be a learning experience and would take time getting some kinks worked out as expected.  Thus far its the worst/weakest offense to date(including some other down years) Jasper has ever fielded.  there are some quality skilled guys but as an unit it just ain't working. Play calling has NOT helped those young men either by any means. ya,gotta at least give the kids a chance and it don't happen. Granted its a different OC this year, but even last year it was the same damn thing with Brian Barbay as OC. Prime example was against yall(by no means am I saying we could or would beat yall no matter what was called) but about mid way of 3rd qtr with the game score not so bad we lined up in what I call a goal line offense and STAYED in it the rest of the game. ###!?!  may as well told our young men to go curl up in the fetal position and give up. We have been able to have some time consuming drives in every game(lol against Rusk they only had the ball 15 seconds in 1st qtr) 6,7,or even 8 minute drives have not been un common. very few points but minimizing opponents time to score.  Tonight if any possible way to just have drives half the time of those long ones we had is the only way Jasper can keep it respectful.

As a whole we are Friday Night young this year. which I hope bodes well in the future as the young men grow and get experience.

Defensively we have 3 (most likely will be 4 tonight) sophomores starting.  it has been lots of fun watching them come into their own and I look forward to the future with them. As a whole against some good teams I am super proud of the showings they have had. Constantly, being with their backs to the wall due in part to the offensive lack of production those young men have give it hell I tell ya. very much so "bend but not break".  LCM  came out with a combo punch to start the game and went up 13-0. then that was it.  they were held to zero 1st downs the rest of the game.  that's impressive no matter who you play.

tonight though, I am afraid the advanced offense (which boo hoo yall say has not been ran very well only averaging 38.4 a game) that yall run and more importantly the fact that the Lord of the RINGS is on yalls side line just maybe to overwhelming for our young men.. Not gonna be the 4th and 45s like there was against Rusk.  I do understand yalls point about the execution. lol  when you win 8 titles in a little over a decade and currently on a 36/37 game win streak defending Champs its natural to expect the standard that has been put in place. 

in game coaching is non existent with Jasper also. all there is left to do is hope for the best while expecting the worse.  wow what a really long short story uh?  yall take care and let's hope all the young men involved in the game leave the same way as they started.(no injuries)

19 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

I for fun always like to see what cal preps "project a matchup" has for games.  sometimes it's not even close to being close. other times like this game I think it's pretty much spot on.

Carthage 31

Jasper  0

Not bad for a computer. It thought Jasper would stop them in the red zone 1 time.