Weekend For Orange County Football

Hagar

1 hour ago, Tim Riggins said:

Yeah, the gold uni's looked great, '63/'64/'65 were the only years for them though.  Glad you brought up the gold "traveling" jackets. Combined with white shirts and black ties was a good look too.

That is awesome they had that back then. Literally looked like they were making a business trip, especially in '64.

And what a weekend for Orange County football.  Possibly two District Championships on the line Friday and all 4 teams OC schools.  WOS vs Orangefield and Vidor vs LCM.  Wonder when was the last time this scenario happened (if ever)?

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Ironically, in 64 season the Pirates had an awesome passing attack.  It’s possible they had more passing yards than any team in the Triangle. 😂😂😂

Our offense went in the opposite direction over the years.😂

I was thinking the other day, my nephew was only 3 years old when Mathews switched to the Slot-T offense in 2007. Just shows how long he has implemented that offense.🤯

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

And what a weekend for Orange County football.  Possibly two District Championships on the line Friday and all 4 teams OC schools.  WOS vs Orangefield and Vidor vs LCM.  Wonder when was the last time this scenario happened (if ever)?

I don’t know about 4 teams in 1994 LCM vs WOS battle for the DC. LCM went 1 and WOS 2 into playoffs. 

9 hours ago, Hagar said:

Ironically, in 64 season the Pirates had an awesome passing attack.  It’s possible they had more passing yards than any team in the Triangle. 😂😂😂

Hagar, you are right about that passing attack.  Larry Tilton was QB1 and had 18 TD passes that set an OC record at the time.  Was district MVP.  His favorite target was Jerry Wheeler.  Wheeler had 11 TDs receiving that year and was leading OC  receiver.  

17 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

Hagar, you are right about that passing attack.  Larry Tilton was QB1 and had 18 TD passes that set an OC record at the time.  Was district MVP.  His favorite target was Jerry Wheeler.  Wheeler had 11 TDs receiving that year and was leading OC  receiver.  

Were y’all in a spread formation or under center ? 

1 hour ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Were y’all in a spread formation or under center ? 

Under center.  No spread that I recall seeing back in those days.  Today's wide receivers were called "split ends" back then.  Typical  plays had a split end and a tight end, two tight ends on obvious running plays.  Backfield was usually 2 halfbacks and a halfback. Sometimes one of the halfbacks would move into what is called the "slot" today.  

1 minute ago, Tim Riggins said:

Under center.  No spread that I recall seeing back in those days.  Today's wide receivers were called "split ends" back then.  Typical  plays had a split end and a tight end, two tight ends on obvious running plays.  Backfield was usually 2 halfbacks and a halfback. Sometimes one of the halfbacks would move into what is called the "slot" today.  

Meant to type two halfbacks and a Fullback......

5 hours ago, Tim Riggins said:

And George Thurman was the TE.  Seems like Don Minton was FB (killed in Vietnam) and Bubba Pullen was one RB.  Can’t remember other.  Sparky Robinson played both ways but was All State DT.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

And George Thurman was the TE.  Seems like Don Minton was FB (killed in Vietnam) and Bubba Pullen was one RB.  Can’t remember other.  Sparky Robinson played both ways but was All State DT.

I’ve heard so much about that Vidor squad. Sparky was a beast and they were ranked #1 all the way through destroying every team in their path up until the state semis. I heard the Pirates put up some points and blew most teams out. Easily winning district agains some good Bmt teams, PNG, Ned and the like. They built the stadium that the Pirates play in now after the deep playoff run but the head coach retired not long after

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Gary Cole was the other RB (and one of only 4 underclassmen on the '64 team).  Jerry Wheeler would sometimes line up as a running back as well.

22 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I’ve heard so much about that Vidor squad. Sparky was a beast and they were ranked #1 all the way through destroying every team in their path up until the state semis. I heard the Pirates put up some points and blew most teams out. Easily winning district agains some good Bmt teams, PNG, Ned and the like. They built the stadium that the Pirates play in now after the deep playoff run but the head coach retired not long after

Played 3 Beaumont schools, French, Forest Park and Kelly, but didn't play PNG or Nederland. Remember  Vidor was 3A then and played LIttle Cypress, Jasper, Channelview Liberty, West Orange, Bridge City and Silsbee.  Hung 50 on LIttle Cypress and 56 on Jasper, but French, 14-6, and Forest Park, 14-7, were tough games.

5 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

How many guys are still around from that 1964 team? I know they blew LC out that year 

I know of six that are still around. Sparky Robinson was the most decorated of them as an All-State player and is still  with us..also know of 8 that have passed on. Lost track of the other 12.

10 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Sparky was a beast.  On the program I think they had him at 190 or 195 but he probably was more like 180-185.  I think there was only one kid listed at 200 or better.  Of course kids weren’t as huge then as they are now.  Sparky didn’t see all that well.  Heard one man say he’d get in the opposing backfield & grab several backs and throw the ones away that didn’t have a ball 😂.  His Dad, and several uncles, were all ironworkers and all incredibly strong, and all really good folks.  Very active in LL and Babe Ruth baseball, and a big reason the LL was started in Vidor.  His older cousin, Rusty Morgan, got a scholarship to Rice as a DL.  One of his Uncles made All State at French (DL) in the early 50’s and Coached me in Babe Ruth.

12 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Bridge city needs A Worster to bad his grandson attends LCM

Lol, for sure.  If you’ve read the above post about Sparky Robinson, Worster was similar.  He looked (ran) big at BC & UT but I met him & he was just average size.  Seems sometimes Mother Nature takes an average size person & gives them extraordinary abilities and strength.   

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Lol, for sure.  If you’ve read the above post about Sparky Robinson, Worster was similar.  He looked (ran) big at BC & UT but I met him & he was just average size.  Seems sometimes Mother Nature takes an average size person & gives them extraordinary abilities and strength.   

Yes that’s true. His son on the other hand was different story. His son was pretty good size guy moved the ball well at fullback