Weekend For Orange County Football

Hagar

12 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

I'm pretty sure this is Vidor's first 5-0 start since the 1964 state semifinalist team.

But it's great to see all these OC teams have big wins tonight.

And if not for that Hurricane, I’m 95% sure we’d be 6-0 now.

Yep, big wins tonight for OC.  Mildly surprised at LCM & BC wins.  Full disclosure, if you told me Vidor was going to have 5 turnovers, I’d picked Splendora, so in that aspect, Vidor’s win was a surprise.  WOS & OF, we’ll heck, they always win.  😄

12 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

I think this is the second week this season it's happened that all OC teams won.  Still pretty rare.   And you're probably right that 5-0 goes all the way back to '64, (my soph year btw)

That really is a rare feat for all OC teams to win. But that's awesome you were a sophomore during that amazing season.

8 minutes ago, Hagar said:

And if not for that Hurricane, I’m 95% sure we’d be 6-0 now.

Yep, big wins tonight for OC.  Mildly surprised at LCM & BC wins.  Full disclosure, if you told me Vidor was going to have 5 turnovers, I’d picked Splendora, so in that aspect, Vidor’s win was a surprise.  WOS & OF, we’ll heck, they always win.  😄

Probably just another Friday night to OF and WOS tonight lol while Vidor and LCM are enjoying the ride! 

35 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

1964 was a special, near magical season for VHS and the city itself. Will always remember it.  

Yes and on a side note, Vidor wore the best looking football uniforms I’ve ever seen anywhere.  

1 hour ago, piratevillain said:

I'm curious, what did the uni's look like then? 

From my feeble memory.
Old gold, not yellow, with white stripes over the shoulder outlined in black, as were the numbers, and stripe down the side of the legs.  Pants secured with a white belt.  Had old gold helmets with the white stripe also outlined in black.  Seems like a black Pirate on the side.  As I remember they wore them one more year.  Problem was the old gold faded some after a bunch of washings and when replacements were bought the new ones stood out.  The old gold was the unique factor.  Most “gold” today is a yucky yellow.  The Booster Club bought old gold sports coats with a black V on the pocket for away games and all players had a white dress shirt & black tie.  Guys looked sharp.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

From my feeble memory.
Old gold, not yellow, with white stripes over the shoulder outlined in black, as were the numbers, and stripe down the side of the legs.  Pants secured with a white belt.  Had old gold helmets with the white stripe also outlined in black.  Seems like a black Pirate on the side.  As I remember they wore them one more year.  Problem was the old gold faded some after a bunch of washings and when replacements were bought the new ones stood out.  The old gold was the unique factor.  Most “gold” today is a yucky yellow.  The Booster Club bought old gold sports coats with a black V on the pocket for away games and all players had a white dress shirt & black tie.  Guys looked sharp.

We need to return to a look like that it would be awesome. Not playing Nederland anymore so no need to worry about looking like them. I wish they had a gold uni that’d be sweet. We always accentuate the black or the white but what about the GOLD? 

36 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

We need to return to a look like that it would be awesome. Not playing Nederland anymore so no need to worry about looking like them. I wish they had a gold uni that’d be sweet. We always accentuate the black or the white but what about the GOLD? 

I can only guess that they still can’t get the old gold to hold its color.  Every team I’ve seen with a uniform part gold, the part gold is usually yellow.  That dark old gold was unique.  Btw, to my knowledge, Ned has never had the old gold so we’d still be unique.

@Tim Rigginsmight update my description.  I was out of school then.

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

From my feeble memory.

Wow, now that you described the jerseys I remember seeing them in The Vidorian for homecoming one year. Seemed like they were looking dapper for the away games! It would be awesome if Vidor could bring those uni's back like these college teams do. But I agree, these new yellow gold colors now days are fugly.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I can only guess that they still can’t get the old gold to hold its color.  Every team I’ve seen with a uniform part gold, the part gold is usually yellow.  That dark old gold was unique.  Btw, to my knowledge, Ned has never had the old gold so we’d still be unique.

@Tim Rigginsmight update my description.  I was out of school then.

Old Gold pants and jerseys.  Black numbers. Two narrow black stripes, 2 narrow white stripes around the sleeves, (not over the shoulder pads.)  Same type black and white stripes down the outside of the pants.  Solid old gold helmets.  White belts, white socks, black cleats.  (I'm looking at my junior year picture)  '65 was the last year for the gold uniforms, which did look awesome .  Next year, '66, we went to the all black home uniforms with the gold and black checkerboard strip outlined by white stripes over the shoulder pads.  Same kind of design down the pants legs.  In '66 you could also "earn" a black helmet with your play.  Everyone started the season with a gold helmet, but the coveted black helmet was awarded according to your play.  It was a big deal to wear the black helmet.  

5 minutes ago, Tim Riggins said:

Old Gold pants and jerseys.  Black numbers. Two narrow black stripes, 2 narrow white stripes around the sleeves, (not over the shoulder pads.)  Same type black and white stripes down the outside of the pants.  Solid old gold helmets.  White belts, white socks, black cleats.  (I'm looking at my junior year picture)  '65 was the last year for the gold uniforms, which did look awesome .  Next year, '66, we went to the all black home uniforms with the gold and black checkerboard strip outlined by white stripes over the shoulder pads.  Same kind of design down the pants legs.  In '66 you could also "earn" a black helmet with your play.  Everyone started the season with a gold helmet, but the coveted black helmet was awarded according to your play.  It was a big deal to wear the black helmet.  

Thanks for the update.  I was close.  Best looking uni’s I’ve ever seen.