East Chambers student shot at football game

BMTSoulja1

It says it was from a 22 and nobody heard any shot. It was probably somebody a good distance off shooting at something in a tree, target practicing etc. 

I think it is squirrel season so it’s probably somebody out there in the woods since a lot of people use a 22.

I have not bought .22 rounds in a long time but many years ago there used to be a warning on the box saying that it would travel up to a mile.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

It says it was from a 22 and nobody heard any shot. It was probably somebody a good distance off shooting at something in a tree, target practicing etc. 

I think it is squirrel season so it’s probably somebody out there in the woods since a lot of people use a 22.

I have not bought .22 rounds in a long time but many years ago there used to be a warning on the box saying that it would travel up to a mile.

Interesting info.  

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Interesting info.  

When I am teaching the Penal Code at the police academy, I actually make up a scenario like this to distinguish between Murder, Manslaughter and Criminally Negligent Homicide. 

If you shoot and kill someone, it could be any of those which range from two years maximum to 99 years. One of the scenarios is that you were shooting a gun and accidentally hit someone a good distance away that you did not even know was there.

Fortunately this girl appears to be suffering from a minor injury but it could have been a lot worse.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

When I am teaching the Penal Code at the police academy, I actually make up a scenario like this to distinguish between Murder, Manslaughter and Criminally Negligent Homicide. 

If you shoot and kill someone, it could be any of those which range from two years maximum to 99 years. One of the scenarios is that you were shooting a gun and accidentally hit someone a good distance away that you did not even know was there.

Fortunately this girl appears to be suffering from a minor injury but it could have been a lot worse.

My grandfather let me shoot his .22 at around 13 years old.  We were in the country, but there were houses and camps 1/2 mile away or so. So, until he trusted me I could only shoot the rat/varmint bullets (loaded with BB's).....he would always tell me they could travel a mile......and I always thought that would be a pretty lucky shot since I shot in the dense woods most of the time.

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

My grandfather let me shoot his .22 at around 13 years old.  We were in the country, but there were houses and camps 1/2 mile away or so. So, until he trusted me I could only shoot the rat/varmint bullets (loaded with BB's).....he would always tell me they could travel a mile......and I always thought that would be a pretty lucky shot since I shot in the dense woods most of the time.

That’s why I was thinking about squirrel hunting. We would go out in the national forest and use 22s to hunt and shoot squirrels in the top of the trees. Once it gets past that canopy, no telling where it will come down.

I worked with a man whose daughter was shot while driving down West Port Arthur road. Bullet came through the windshield and struck her in the chest. She’s was able to pull over and put on her flashers.  She was probably traveling about 50-60 mph when it happened. Man, the timing of it all. A second sooner or later could have made it miss. They caught the guy who fired the shot. Don’t remember the caliber. 

3 hours ago, baddog said:

I worked with a man whose daughter was shot while driving down West Port Arthur road. Bullet came through the windshield and struck her in the chest. She’s was able to pull over and put on her flashers.  She was probably traveling about 50-60 mph when it happened. Man, the timing of it all. A second sooner or later could have made it miss. They caught the guy who fired the shot. Don’t remember the caliber. 

A second? 

I talk about timing all the time particularly and did so particularly  when I was working. A car going 60 miles an hour goes approximately 90 feet a second. In 1/10 of one second her vehicle went about 9 feet. If she would have entered that space and 1/10 of a second earlier or 1/10 of a second later, she would’ve never been hit. 

When people get in a car accident and the other person ran a stop sign but maybe hit the back passenger door where no one was at, they will say something like, I was in a bad wreck but I did not get hurt or maybe got a couple of bruises. Yeah…… but if you had entered that intersection 1/30 of second earlier, we would  be calling you a ride to the morgue.

Life is literally that close in time. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

A second? 

I talk about timing all the time particularly and did so particularly  when I was working. A car going 60 miles an hour goes approximately 90 feet a second. In 1/10 of one second her vehicle went about 9 feet. If she would have entered that space and 1/10 of a second earlier or 1/10 of a second later, she would’ve never been hit. 

When people get in a car accident and the other person ran a stop sign but maybe hit the back passenger door where no one was at, they will say something like, I was in a bad wreck but I did not get hurt or maybe got a couple of bruises. Yeah…… but if you had entered that intersection 1/30 of second earlier, we would  be calling you a ride to the morgue.

Life is literally that close in time. 

I think it’s closer to 1/29th of a second, but who’s counting. Just trying to covey a story about the daughter of a man I knew. Wasn’t expecting it to be dissected…..but thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I think it’s closer to 1/29th of a second, but who’s counting. Just trying to covey a story about the daughter of a man I knew. Wasn’t expecting it to be dissected…..but thanks for the info.

I was agreeing with you but using your post to try to show how really narrow life can be. 

On 10/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, baddog said:

feel like i remember this case.  didn't she pass away, and wasn't it several years before the shooter was arrested?

46 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

feel like i remember this case.  didn't she pass away, and wasn't it several years before the shooter was arrested?

Yes, she died. It took about 4 years to catch the guy. Seems like he was caught robbing people in the area with some of his cronies, and they somehow tied him to the shooting. I worked with her dad but not when this happened. I saw him on TV is the only reason I knew who it was.

2 hours ago, baddog said:

Yes, she died. It took about 4 years to catch the guy. Seems like he was caught robbing people in the area with some of his cronies, and they somehow tied him to the shooting. I worked with her dad but not when this happened. I saw him on TV is the only reason I knew who it was.

I remember this as well

wasn’t there a kid or kids in the car too

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

2 hours ago, baddog said:

This is the hidden content, please

If anyone wants to watch the story about Allison Clark’s murder, I believe the entire thing is on YouTube. Paula Zahn did a story on it which was on TV about a year or so ago. I believe it has three or four Port Arthur PD detectives that worked on the case. I was with them in their office when they did a lot of it and they went as far as driving to Texarkana to follow up on leads. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, bullets13 said:

Coincidentally, I found a .22 projectile on our playground at HF about 3 weeks ago.  I didn't think much of it because of where our school is located.  But people definitely need to be aware of where their bullet could go.  

That reminds me of a story from maybe 50s or 60s. As I recall being told... There was a young girl shot and killed on a playground at a school in West Orange. They said it came from a shooting range out near Du Pont. That's over a mile away. And to think, 1/10 of a second? Crazy

3 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

That reminds me of a story from maybe 50s or 60s. As I recall being told... There was a young girl shot and killed on a playground at a school in West Orange. They said it came from a shooting range out near Du Pont. That's over a mile away. And to think, 1/10 of a second? Crazy

At that range, you are not only talking about time but angle. Whatever angle to the left or right that rifle barrel was pointing, had it be in 1/100 of an inch and either direction, it would’ve never happened. 

3 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Did you account for the wind and rotation of the earth?

The Coriolis Effect only applies in certain directions. I would have to know the exact range and direction the bullet was fired. But…. Wherever the bullet came down, the same angle of the barrel would apply. :)