Imagine that. We never saw this coming. 2 social workers kidnapped…..

tvc184

A woman called the police on 911 to have someone check on her son who was involved in a vehicle accident but checked himself out of the hospital. No problem, send in the Crisis Mobile Team. There is no need to send the police when someone is just having issues. We certainly don’t want to offend people by having them talking to cops with guns.

The  50 year old man then kidnapped the women at gunpoint when they arrive to investigate what was happening and to help him.  He held them hostage and stole their car, made them get gas and then eventually took the car for himself after he kicked them out.

I am certainly glad they at least got out without physical injury. Of course if they would’ve sent the police, they may have ended up shooting the guy if he pulled a gun on them.

The obvious solution to some people is to send in an unarmed crisis worker. I am sure for safety, they sent two women instead of just one. I guess two unarmed women is safer than one? 

The chief now says they need another healthcare worker in the dispatch office to evaluate and give information to the unarmed Crisis Team workers.  That may work in some situation but how does it work in this case when the man’s mother had no clue what was happening and only that he had been in an accident. The dispatch social worker likely could have found nothing. If something was found like he might’ve been violent, they would have to end up sending in the dreaded police.

I have seen the solution as seen by some people is not to send in the police because if there’s a violent confrontation the police will likely have to kill the person. So they will send in a crisis team but if that crisis team determines before they arrive by another member in the dispatch, they will end up sending in the people to speak with a violent person that they did not want to send him to begin with. 

I don’t know the solution but I saw a lot of predictions of this happening when the defund the police movement became all the rage. More and more some cities like Minneapolis ( who passed an ordinance to reduce their police force by 1/3 or something like that) will start sending you social workers to disturbance calls.

Smart idea? Maybe have an officer stand by while a crisis worker makes initial contact?

This is the hidden content, please

We don't live in a perfect world, never have and never will.

Medical malpractices cases average about 12,000 a year, when cop shootings are usually around a 1000 or less, and 95% or more of those are justified and never brought to court.  Do we hear CNN complaining about that?

Working for an ambulance company for 8 years, I often waited for the police when we had a call that was reported violent. A dead paramedic cannot help anyone......

4 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

We don't live in a perfect world, never have and never will.

Medical malpractices cases average about 12,000 a year, when cop shootings are usually around a 1000 or less, and 95% or more of those are justified and never brought to court.  Do we hear CNN complaining about that?

Working for an ambulance company for 8 years, I often waited for the police when we had a call that was reported violent. A dead paramedic cannot help anyone......

We kind of jokingly now call EMS and the fire department, second responders.

Something that changed from when I first started, it is a routine police call now to say be en route to a certain location for whatever, EMS and fire are staging three blocks away. 

10 hours ago, tvc184 said:

We kind of jokingly now call EMS and the fire department, second responders.

Something that changed from when I first started, it is a routine police call now to say be en route to a certain location for whatever, EMS and fire are staging three blocks away. 

Unless they arm paramedics, which I’m 50/50 on, staging is a good thing

47 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

I am not disagreeing with the policy:…. But it’s why we “jokingly” call them second responders. 😀

But you know when I first started, we never heard the phrase, EMS and fire are staging. They would generally go in and then if they saw something, slow it down or back out and tell the police to come in and maybe step it up. With the crazy world we live in today and not 40 years ago, I agree with the policy.   
👌

For the second responders….. 😂

54 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Back in the day, my older brother had a good friend who was an ambulance driver (that’s what they were called back then). Man, the stories he could tell. Most made me sick. I couldn’t do it, especially the car wrecks. Some of that stuff would burn a place in my brain. He acted like it was nothing. I don’t think he was weird or anything like that. He was a good guy. I guess some people are cut out for things like that, not me.

The only comment I have for the thread title is…..We all know it is a bad idea to send unarmed, untrained social workers to what should be a police response. Can’t believe there are people who think it is. Defund the police is simply a lefty ploy to create havoc and mayhem. It enables the left to seize more control and is part of the grand scheme.

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I am not disagreeing with the policy:…. But it’s why we “jokingly” call them second responders. 😀

But you know when I first started, we never heard the phrase, EMS and fire are staging. They would generally go in and then if they saw something, slow it down or back out and tell the police to come in and maybe step it up. With the crazy world we live in today and not 40 years ago, I agree with the policy.   
👌

For the second responders….. 😂

yea, I don't remember staging, but shooting, stabbing, etc.....we would typically not get out of the ambulance until law enforcement arrived......although I partnered with a huge guy named Verne......he would get out no matter what.....was probably my funniest and scariest partner I ever had......he would probably say the same about my driving......I did manage to make it from Park Place to the ferry in I believe 46 minutes.......

8 hours ago, baddog said:

The only comment I have for the thread title is…..We all know it is a bad idea to send unarmed, untrained social workers to what should be a police response. Can’t believe there are people who think it is. Defund the police is simply a lefty ploy to create havoc and mayhem. It enables the left to seize more control and is part of the grand scheme.

Violence interrupters…someone in these liberal cities thinks it is a good idea.