This Is Interesting Concerning Automobile Chips!

Reagan

This is a tweet from investor Cathie Wood:  " Today, $TSLA (Tesla) announced that in the third quarter it sold 241,300 vehicles globally, up 73% year over year(YOY) and 20% quarter over quarter (QQQ).  Meanwhile, $GM (General Motors), blamed the -33% YoY decline in its US sales on chip shortages.  What?  #EVs (Electric Vehicles) require 3-5x more chips per car produced!"

Thoughts?!

14 minutes ago, Reagan said:

This is a tweet from investor Cathie Wood:  " Today, $TSLA (Tesla) announced that in the third quarter it sold 241,300 vehicles globally, up 73% year over year(YOY) and 20% quarter over quarter (QQQ).  Meanwhile, $GM (General Motors), blamed the -33% YoY decline in its US sales on chip shortages.  What?  #EVs (Electric Vehicles) require 3-5x more chips per car produced!"

Thoughts?!

That’s pretty damned odd… Unless Tesla had a good back stock of chips already. 

12 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Thoughts?!

I read an interesting article on the subject yesterday.  They explained that the chips that traditional car makers use are older technology... and that chip manufacturers aren't willing to invest in manufacturing, older, slower, larger chips for automakers when most new technology is relying on new technology.  Part of the problem was blamed on longevity.  The average smart phone is replaced after 3 or 4 years, max.... because technology is evolving that quickly.  People are driving their cars for 10+ years in most cases, so the technology becomes obsolete before the car has run through its expected life cycle... and automakers aren't worried about cutting edge technology that will be obsolete long before the product is worn out.  

It was pretty in depth, and I'm guessing that the Tesla products are more technologically advanced and using newer designed chips/processors.

31 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I read an interesting article on the subject yesterday.  They explained that the chips that traditional car makers use are older technology... and that chip manufacturers aren't willing to invest in manufacturing, older, slower, larger chips for automakers when most new technology is relying on new technology.  Part of the problem was blamed on longevity.  The average smart phone is replaced after 3 or 4 years, max.... because technology is evolving that quickly.  People are driving their cars for 10+ years in most cases, so the technology becomes obsolete before the car has run through its expected life cycle... and automakers aren't worried about cutting edge technology that will be obsolete long before the product is worn out.  

It was pretty in depth, and I'm guessing that the Tesla products are more technologically advanced and using newer designed chips/processors.

I have a brilliant idea!!  Go back to making cars that didn’t need a damn chip.  

6 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s pretty damned odd… Unless Tesla had a good back stock of chips already. 

Thoughts:
I don’t know the answer but…..

That little snippet in the OP is almost meaningless. Maybe the article went out to explain it better but that first part is nonsense.

it says that Tesla produced around 240,000 which was a 73% increase. Wow, shocking. GM WAS DOWN 33%!!

According to that post, the 240,000 was a 73% increase. That means the previous year they produced about 140,000. Meanwhile in general motors in 2020 produced 6,800,000 vehicles. They are down 33% this year because of chips (claimed) which means they sold about 4,500,000.

That means Tesla had enough chips to make 240,000 vehicles and GM had enough chips to make 4.5 million or 18 times as many. 

I was thinking investor was better at math. 

13 hours ago, Hagar said:

I smell Environmentalist Leftist involved.  These loons could care less how it affects Americans or America.

Good thought!  I didn't think of this possibility.  Originally there was a fire at a chip factory in Japan.  Could it have been eco-terrorist?  Hummmm!!

19 hours ago, Hagar said:

I smell Environmentalist Leftist involved.  These loons could care less how it affects Americans or America.

Come to think of it, there is also not any lawn mowers to be had, except for zero turn.  I ask the guy at Lowe's what's the deal and he said they can't get any.  Also none at Fred Millers and none at Home Depot.  Wonder if there's a correlational between the cars and lawn mowers, environmentally speaking?  

This is all a part of the grand scheme. Call me crazy, a conspiracy theorist, whatever one can come up with. All of this is connected with the government paying people handsomely to stay home due to Covid. Look at the resistance worldwide. The world order is happening. Wait till China pulls the plug on rare earth materials, which they own that market, no one will be able to get a cell phone. Talk about panic.