Armed citizen shoots two robberd in Port Arthur

tvc184

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I just hope/pray the shooter comes out unscathed.  Should get a medal but in this new world we live in, you never know.

In my 37+ years in Port Arthur, I have never seen a person defend themselves or someone else and get prosecuted. I have seen a lot of people claim self-defense when it obviously was not. There are several cases that I know of where it was clearly someone breaking into a home or robbing a store, etc. and none were prosecuted to my knowledge and not even close. It’s not like they had to hire an attorney to try and justify it. Of course it is not the police department that makes a judgment on self-defense or any criminal situation for that matter.  That is done by the district attorney or having the district attorney present it to a grand jury. The police investigate and hand over their findings to the attorneys.

On one case probably 25 years ago, somebody broke into an old man’s house through a living room window (I think but so long ago). Anyway my best friend was on patrol that night and came upon a dead man in the middle of the street and you could see that he had been shot. In fact there was a good blood trail and he followed it back up the road may be a block or so all the way to the window where the now deceased guy tried to break in. There was an old man sitting in the living room with a .410 shotgun. My partner said the other guy made a statement something like, “Officer, that guy broke into my house last night and I said by God if he tries it tonight I’m gonna shoot him. I let him get halfway through the window and then shot him “. The old guy had brought like a kitchen chair into the living room and just sat there and waited. He was going to stay awake all night to see if the guy came back… and he did. Cleared/justified. 

I went to the police station for the first time in about 11 weeks since fighting off Covid (still a way to go physically) and spoke to a detective about the case.

WOW!! Talk about an incident. With all the speculation I saw on various forums, I don’t think anybody could believe or guess this story. I have probably worked on 150 homicides and I would’ve never guessed this one

I was wondering exactly what happened like everybody else. Was this guy in line to get chicken and just pulled his gun and started shooting or what? Inquiring minds want to know…….

But for all the speculation on was this guy justified  or did he endanger customers, why did he get involved and blah blah blah, all I can say is, WOW!!

19 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I went to the police station for the first time in about 11 weeks since fighting off Covid (still a way to go physically) and spoke to a detective about the case.

WOW!! Talk about an incident. With all the speculation I saw on various forums, I don’t think anybody could believe or guess this story. I have probably worked on 150 homicides and I would’ve never guessed this one

I was wondering exactly what happened like everybody else. Was this guy in line to get chicken and just pulled his gun and started shooting or what? Inquiring minds want to know…….

But for all the speculation on was this guy justified  or did he endanger customers, why did he get involved and blah blah blah, all I can say is, WOW!!

Curiosity at at 10 on the 1-10 scale, lol.   😂😂😂

Hope the story comes out.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

You wrong for posting that with no conclusion.....lol

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Just want to ask you one favor, if the video ever gets cleared for release, post it on here.  🙏

I mention my experience a lot of times but in almost four decades, I would have never guessed this. I suppose maybe I would if I was just trying to make up a bunch of different scenarios like if someone said, make up 20 different ways this might’ve happened, but just thinking about a person in a restaurant shooting someone, I would normally have never come up with this conclusion.

15 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I mention my experience a lot of times but in almost four decades, I would have never guessed this. I suppose maybe I would if I was just trying to make up a bunch of different scenarios like if someone said, make up 20 different ways this might’ve happened, but just thinking about a person in a restaurant shooting someone, I would normally have never come up with this conclusion.

Lmbo, you’re killing me. 😂😂😂

36 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Lmbo, you’re killing me. 😂😂😂

You know when somebody tells you a juicy secret but then says I will tell you but please don’t tell anyone and you say, don’t worry I will never mention it.

But it is such a good story, you  break down and go to your best friend and tell him but say, please don’t tell anyone because I promised not to tell. The friend goes then to another friend……

My old Cajun boss used to have a saying that went….

”Don’t  tell but if you tell, tell the one you tell not to tell”.

But I will not compromise a police investigation or cut myself off from information because I could not keep my mouth shut. One time another detective came to me with such juicy information. It was actually within his business to tell me because it involves him. My friend said don’t tell anyone else because you are the only one I have told and the only one I am  going to tell.  He was not compromising anything but just did not want anyone to know just yet. A couple of days later I heard the same story but from another person. I went straight to my friend and said hey, I have not told anyone because I gave my word but I just had another police officer give me the same information. He admitted that yes, he broke down and told a couple of other people. Oh well……

I am not that person though.

But wow…..

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

You know when somebody tells you a juicy secret but then says I will tell you but please don’t tell anyone and you say, don’t worry I will never mention it.

But it is such a good story, you  break down and go to your best friend and tell him but say, please don’t tell anyone because I promised not to tell. The friend goes then to another friend……

But I will not compromise a police investigation or cut myself off from information because I could not keep my mouth shut. One time another detective came to me with such juicy information. It was actually within his business to tell me because it involves him. My friend said don’t tell anyone else because you are the only one I have told and the only one I am  going to tell.  He was not compromising anything but just did not want anyone to know just yet. A couple of days later I heard the same story but from another person. I went straight to my friend and said hey, I have not told anyone because I gave my word but I just had another police officer give me the same information. He admitted that yes, he broke down and told a couple of other people. Oh well……

But wow…..

And hats off to you for not being “that person”.  Had the exact thing happen to me.  Hold it in until you get the green light.  Then we want every juicy detail.  😂🤣😂

13 hours ago, tvc184 said:

But wow…..

Will you revisit the subject whenever it's more common knowledge?  I'm curious.

8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Sure. If you can’t tell from my posts, I love talking law and in particular Police work.

I teach college credit courses at LIT in Beaumont on the Texas Penal Code,  Code of Criminal Procedure,  report writing and my favorite, arrest, search and seizure which is basically constitutional law and statutory law on what is legal for the police.

I know personally about a lot of the cases that are in the news and sometimes  discussed in this forum but I simply cannot give me information. It is not illegal to give the information unless it is a juvenile suspect’s name but it can sometimes destroy an investigation. I would even sometimes like to discuss why the police don’t give this information. They aren’t hiding it, They are simply going by the law that tells them what evidence they could used in court (Code of Criminal Procedure).

Up until five months ago when I retired, many of the times if you saw an article in the newspaper or the television media, the words were exactly mine cut and pasted from a news release that I had written. I might have been the only seen supervisor but I only release with the police department want me to.

Once the charges have been filed, I can discuss a lot of the issues that I will not beforehand.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Sure. If you can’t tell from my posts, I love talking law and in particular Police work.

I teach college credit courses at LIT in Beaumont on the Texas Penal Code,  Code of Criminal Procedure,  report writing and my favorite, arrest, search and seizure which is basically constitutional law and statutory law on what is legal for the police.

I know personally about a lot of the cases that are in the news and sometimes  discussed in this forum but I simply cannot give me information. It is not illegal to give the information unless it is a juvenile suspect’s name but it can sometimes destroy an investigation. I would even sometimes like to discuss why the police don’t give this information. They aren’t hiding it, They are simply going by the law that tells them what evidence they could used in court (Code of Criminal Procedure).

Up until five months ago when I retired, many of the times if you saw an article in the newspaper or the television media, the words were exactly mine cut and pasted from a news release that I had written. I might have been the only seen supervisor but I only release with the police department want me to.

Once the charges have been filed, I can discuss a lot of the issues that I will not beforehand.

Nope... that's how it should be.  A solid prosecution > my curiousity.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Sometimes it is very hard, but I respect TVC's position and his balance of speaking publically and maintaining confidentiality all at the same time. I would imagine that is a tough line sometimes.