Murder trial.

tvc184

I thought this was an interesting and maybe gruesome case. I was kind of involved in it on the very edges at the beginning but did no actual investigating.

This woman beat her father to death with a rolling pen. Then she rolled him up in a tarp and I believe taped the tarp shut. Then when confronted about it several days later, she claimed it was suicide.

I even wondered why this even went to trial unless the DA simply did not offer a plea bargain. I thought it was very interesting that the jury gave her 81 years because her father was 81 years old. They were looking to send a message maybe to give her something to think about and I thought that was great. Unless the law has changed, she has to actually do half of that time. She will be eligible for parole I think in her mid 90s so effectively it is a life sentence.

This is the hidden content, please

On 10/1/2021 at 4:45 PM, tvc184 said:

I thought this was an interesting and maybe gruesome case. I was kind of involved in it on the very edges at the beginning but did no actual investigating.

This woman beat her father to death with a rolling pen. Then she rolled him up in a tarp and I believe taped the tarp shut. Then when confronted about it several days later, she claimed it was suicide.

I even wondered why this even went to trial unless the DA simply did not offer a plea bargain. I thought it was very interesting that the jury gave her 81 years because her father was 81 years old. They were looking to send a message maybe to give her something to think about and I thought that was great. Unless the law has changed, she has to actually do half of that time. She will be eligible for parole I think in her mid 90s so effectively it is a life sentence.

This is the hidden content, please

Half of 60 years for any sentence 60 years and up (except for the crimes not eligible for parole; e.g., capital murder life without parole, continuous sexual abuse of a child).  So she will be eligible in 30 years.  Still a good chance it’s a life sentence.  

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Half of 60 years for any sentence 60 years and up (except for the crimes not eligible for parole; e.g., capital murder life without parole, continuous sexual abuse of a child).  So she will be eligible in 30 years.  Still a good chance it’s a life sentence.  

I figured/knew it was half but I only thought a “life” sentence was considered 60 years, not when they gave an actual year.  Yes, it will probably still be a life sentence.

11 minutes ago, baddog said:

That’s so dumb. If we know she will serve half of 60, why not give thirty to serve. To heck with the “half” stuff. I never understood that.

I believe that is to qualify for parole. Parole is a, if you’re a good guy or girl, we will let you out early. it has been so long since I looked into that but they used to give “good days” meaning that if you did not cause any problems, you got a like an extra day credit. I believe it is to help maintain discipline.  I remember back in the late 80s and maybe early 90s when the prison system was way overcrowded and Texas was under a federal lawsuit/mandate and they started giving like 20 for 1 good days. 

On a related subject, I know a woman that got 8 years for lying to the cops during an investigation.  She's been in over seven years and just got turned down for parole again.... and she's been a model prisoner, supposedly.   The case was a big deal in their small community and the DA/Judge/Victim's family have all worked to keep her locked up.  It doesn't help that the Ranger who investigated the case ended up having an affair (and is still with) the victim's mom.  Long story short, she'll do every day of her sentence when she's released next spring.  I guess the good news is that there won't be any parole... she's just done with it.  

If anybody wants to hear the story i'll type out my version of it. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Heck yeah. 

Livingston, Texas.  

Rachel Leggett was married to Timmy Leggett.  They were supposed to be out of town one evening so her son decided to throw a party... which got canceled because Rachel/Timmy didn't leave town.  Sometime after dark a pickup comes up in their yard doing doughnuts, so Timmy cranks off a couple of rounds from the front porch and the truck leaves.  They decide to call the sheriff to let them know what happened, but Timmy is on probation for a couple of DWIs so they decided to tell the cops that Rachel, not Timmy, was the shooter.  They also decided to tell the fuzz that Timmy was in the yard and the truck was trying to run Timmy over... because it makes the story less stupid.  They call 911 and the dispatcher tells them that the vehicle was en route to the hospital because somebody inside the truck got hit.  Rachel/Timmy go down to the SO and give statements saying that Rachel did the shooting because Timmy's life was in danger.  Then the kid that was shot died the next day.  Apparently the truck was being driven by one kid and the truck's owner was riding as passenger.  The kids in the truck didn't get the memo that the party got canceled and were just showing up being rowdy.

At this point, Rachel already confessed to shooting at the truck.  Timmy's fam retained an attorney and he advised them to stick with their story (Rachel was the shooter) because "nobody is going to jail anyways." This rocks on for about a year or so while Rachel is out on bond... And Timmy is working down in the Valley.  Apparently it gets lonely down in the valley (and Rachel can't leave town), so Timmy gets a mistress.  NOTE... if your wife is actively taking a murder charge for you, DON'T CHEAT.  Not even a little.  The attorney (hired by Timmy's folks) just keeps saying to stay the course, it'll all work out.  Against his advice, Rachel goes down and tells the truth to the authorities... DA, if I'm not mistaken.  

The law admits that they'd known that Timmy (not Rachel) was the shooter since that initial night at the SO because they'd overheard them discussing the matter.  But Rachel's confession had them stuck without a way to prosecute Timmy.  The trial comes and Rachel testifies against Timmy... something that they couldn't actually force her to do because she was still married to Timmy.  Based on her testimony Timmy gets 99 years... but they prosecuted Rachel for lying about her involvement early on.  I think a lot of it had to do with having bad counsel bought/paid for by the family of the guy who was put away by Rachel's testimony.  Most people thought that she would get a slap on the wrist based on her cooperation with getting Timmy convicted.  Wrong.  They convicted her and sentenced her to the maximum amount possible for the crime for which she was convicted.   After the sentence was handed down, the Judge walked down and hugged the victim's mom.  The Texas Ranger that investigated the shooting had an affair with the victim's mom... the mom and dad subsequently divorced.  The Ranger and the mom are still together, as far as I know.  

The kid played baseball and was a senior if my memory is correct.  Every year they have a big goat roping or some crap over there.   The family still thinks that Rachel should have received a life sentence, too.  She's been up for parole every year and gets turned down.  She's over eight years in now and will be released before her next possible parole date.  I personally think she should march through the next Rhett Latham Memorial Goat Roping with her head held high and buy a t-shirt, but that's just my vindictive side coming out. 

27 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Livingston, Texas.  

Rachel Leggett was married to Timmy Leggett.  They were supposed to be out of town one evening so her son decided to throw a party... which got canceled because Rachel/Timmy didn't leave town.  Sometime after dark a pickup comes up in their yard doing doughnuts, so Timmy cranks off a couple of rounds from the front porch and the truck leaves.  They decide to call the sheriff to let them know what happened, but Timmy is on probation for a couple of DWIs so they decided to tell the cops that Rachel, not Timmy, was the shooter.  They also decided to tell the fuzz that Timmy was in the yard and the truck was trying to run Timmy over... because it makes the story less stupid.  They call 911 and the dispatcher tells them that the vehicle was en route to the hospital because somebody inside the truck got hit.  Rachel/Timmy go down to the SO and give statements saying that Rachel did the shooting because Timmy's life was in danger.  Then the kid that was shot died the next day.  Apparently the truck was being driven by one kid and the truck's owner was riding as passenger.  The kids in the truck didn't get the memo that the party got canceled and were just showing up being rowdy.

At this point, Rachel already confessed to shooting at the truck.  Timmy's fam retained an attorney and he advised them to stick with their story (Rachel was the shooter) because "nobody is going to jail anyways." This rocks on for about a year or so while Rachel is out on bond... And Timmy is working down in the Valley.  Apparently it gets lonely down in the valley (and Rachel can't leave town), so Timmy gets a mistress.  NOTE... if your wife is actively taking a murder charge for you, DON'T CHEAT.  Not even a little.  The attorney (hired by Timmy's folks) just keeps saying to stay the course, it'll all work out.  Against his advice, Rachel goes down and tells the truth to the authorities... DA, if I'm not mistaken.  

The law admits that they'd known that Timmy (not Rachel) was the shooter since that initial night at the SO because they'd overheard them discussing the matter.  But Rachel's confession had them stuck without a way to prosecute Timmy.  The trial comes and Rachel testifies against Timmy... something that they couldn't actually force her to do because she was still married to Timmy.  Based on her testimony Timmy gets 99 years... but they prosecuted Rachel for lying about her involvement early on.  I think a lot of it had to do with having bad counsel bought/paid for by the family of the guy who was put away by Rachel's testimony.  Most people thought that she would get a slap on the wrist based on her cooperation with getting Timmy convicted.  Wrong.  They convicted her and sentenced her to the maximum amount possible for the crime for which she was convicted.   After the sentence was handed down, the Judge walked down and hugged the victim's mom.  The Texas Ranger that investigated the shooting had an affair with the victim's mom... the mom and dad subsequently divorced.  The Ranger and the mom are still together, as far as I know.  

The kid played baseball and was a senior if my memory is correct.  Every year they have a big goat roping or some crap over there.   The family still thinks that Rachel should have received a life sentence, too.  She's been up for parole every year and gets turned down.  She's over eight years in now and will be released before her next possible parole date.  I personally think she should march through the next Rhett Latham Memorial Goat Roping with her head held high and buy a t-shirt, but that's just my vindictive side coming out. 

That’s a helluva story. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Livingston, Texas.  

Several years ago we had a similar situation and the mother of one of the suspects lied to cover-up for her son. Because they were at least  three people involved, she was charged with murder under Organized Crime.  

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Livingston, Texas.  

I agree with Smash - helluva story.  And I agree with you - punishment and her inability to parole are b.s.  The idiots don’t realize they are disincentivizing someone coming clean, even if it’s not as early as they would have preferred.  

23 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I agree with Smash - helluva story.  And I agree with you - punishment and her inability to parole are b.s.  The idiots don’t realize they are disincentivizing someone coming clean, even if it’s not as early as they would have preferred.  

….. or maybe a better lawyer.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Now no question about that.  Immunity is in the ballpark in that situation.  

Yeah. I would’ve had a non-prosecution or a plea deal worked out before any testimony since she is not required to testify. I mean they had her for perjury no matter what. If she completely shut up they could’ve still prosecute her. I haven’t looked it up in a while but I’m fairly certain the law on perjury says that if you give two conflicting sworn statements, the state does not have to prove which one is a lie. If one of them has to be then, it is perjury.

So she had to make some kind of deal for her testimony, either as you say immunity or a very sweet plea deal like maybe Probation.