2021 UIL Region 10 Marching Band Contest Thread!

It's that time of year folks! The UIL Region 10 Marching Band Contest will be held Saturday October 16, 2021 at Port Neches-Groves HS Stadium. 30 bands will be competing to earn that coveted Division 1 rating and the chance to move on to state competition.

Admission is $5 and children 10 and under are free to get in.

I do plan to attend and record all the bands as my brother and I have diligently tried since 2006.

Because of the pandemic, ALL classifications have the opportunity to advance to the state marching band contest this year. Keep in mind that we have separate open class and military class tracks for state marching band contest.

Some of my thoughts:
- Some schools missing from the last full year (2019) include Hull-Daisetta, Diboll (moved back to Region 21), Hudson, Woodville.
- West Orange-Stark will be participating for the first time since 2013 and am looking forward to how their director has built up the program since their conversion to show-style
- Beaumont United and West Brook High Schools are competing as Non-Varsity Bands; they will not be able to advance to area or state even if they earn a Division 1 rating
- With all the classification changes, there are only 5 5A bands and a single 6A band left in our region, especially with the merger of Beaumont Central and Ozen and the departure of the Baytown ISD schools back in 2016.

Best wishes to all participating bands as they finish learning their music/drill and polishing up their shows in the next 2 weeks.

231100274_2021Region10MarchingContestSchedule.thumb.PNG.4572c71d93fba5e45028d43a880f943c.PNG

That's just sad that West Brook and United are in the non-varsity category.  West Brook had one of the best programs in the state back when it was formed, and now it's just a shell of it's former self.   They weren't corps back then and didn't go to state in marching, but they earned I's and their concert band was incredible.   Soundpower of old would have never competed in non-varsity.

I'm not sure what the deal is with United, but I'm guessing both they and West Brook must have extremely weak programs now.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, FormerBruin said:

That's just sad that West Brook and United are in the non-varsity category.  West Brook had one of the best programs in the state back when it was formed, and now it's just a shell of it's former self.   They weren't corps back then and didn't go to state in marching, but they earned I's and their concert band was incredible.   Soundpower of old would have never competed in non-varsity.

I'm not sure what the deal is with United, but I'm guessing both they and West Brook must have extremely weak programs now.

United has just went through a band director change.  The new guy’s first year and lacked an assistant.  So I’ll give this year a pass.