Buna @ Tarkington

RetiredCoach14

On 9/28/2021 at 1:52 PM, scat_trap said:

A guy that m-f's his kids for motivation at half time?

It's more than just a head coach; Nick Saban would get his brains bashed in there.  The community wants someone to fix the athletics problem there with certain kids getting the accolades and other kids put on the back burner; and the kids they want with the accolades are babied and coddled at home and told they're the best out there cause cousin, or brother, or uncle was an exceptional athlete there (even though he wasn't mediocre anywhere else).

I'm pretty sure Tarkington started to create a "utopian" society and has ended up the way it is.  I distinctly remember walking out of their gym in 7th grade after a basketball game and hearing one of the elder people say "they just won cause of dem black kids"...so if that's what's being up out there they're getting built in excuses

12 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

I can promise you Bass forgot about Tarkington a lot quicker than they forgot about him 

1 hour ago, cat001 said:

You're a clown bro. Bass actually left Tarkington in a better place than it was before he got there. 

Scat, clearly you are part of the problem in Tarkington. I do not believe for one second that Bass M-F'd kids at halftime. He was always going to be a short timer in Tarkington and the only way that would've changed was if the community rallied around the program and things began to change. Clearly that didn't happen and was never going to happen. 

I am sure you will enjoy him being the head coach of successful 5A and 6A programs into the future while Tarkington continues to be what they've always been. 

1 hour ago, cat001 said:

You're a clown bro. Bass actually left Tarkington in a better place than it was before he got there. 

The 1st comment was directed at him, the rest was directed to the community at large.  If you mean by making the program better by not making the play-offs the 2 years he was there with a more talented group than Tarkington has than I guess you're right; he did leave it off better.

3 minutes ago, scat_trap said:

The 1st comment was directed at him, the rest was directed to the community at large.  If you mean by making the program better by not making the play-offs the 2 years he was there with a more talented group than Tarkington has than I guess you're right; he did leave it off better.

Kids actually enjoying football again and being around the coaching staff and speaking positively about things was a change. It did not equate to wins and losses (losing an entire offseason to COVID didn't help) but overall it became a better place because he was there. But keep going off you obviously know it all.

13 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Scat, clearly you are part of the problem in Tarkington. I do not believe for one second that Bass M-F'd kids at halftime. He was always going to be a short timer in Tarkington and the only way that would've changed was if the community rallied around the program and things began to change. Clearly that didn't happen and was never going to happen. 

I am sure you will enjoy him being the head coach of successful 5A and 6A programs into the future while Tarkington continues to be what they've always been. 

I wish the guy nothing but luck.  He knows the right people in SETX and has the right connections to get another head gig.  I hope he ends up like John Snelson because it will further prove my point that there are successful coaches out there that have been in T-Town and that Tarkington WILL NOT do the things that they need to in order to try and be successful.

I have never lived in Tarkington or remotely close to Tarkington whatsoever.  If you go back and read my previous post instead of drooling over the chance to defend someone you'll see why I think the way I do about Tarkington.  In fact, according to Google Maps my house is exactly 261 miles from T-Town.

Just now, cat001 said:

Kids actually enjoying football again and being around the coaching staff and speaking positively about things was a change. It did not equate to wins and losses (losing an entire offseason to COVID didn't help) but overall it became a better place because he was there. But keep going off you obviously know it all.

I made ONE comment about an observation I've personally witnessed...the rest of my comments are directed elsewhere and this is what you're hyper focused on?  And before you jump on the "he's an angry assistant" I'm not.

I really do wish Tarkington people would get out of their own way and look at how to better enrich ALL the students' lives there instead of the few that have kids in admin and "big names" in the community.

3 minutes ago, scat_trap said:

I wish the guy nothing but luck.  He knows the right people in SETX and has the right connections to get another head gig.  I hope he ends up like John Snelson because it will further prove my point that there are successful coaches out there that have been in T-Town and that Tarkington WILL NOT do the things that they need to in order to try and be successful.

I have never lived in Tarkington or remotely close to Tarkington whatsoever.  If you go back and read my previous post instead of drooling over the chance to defend someone you'll see why I think the way I do about Tarkington.  In fact, according to Google Maps my house is exactly 261 miles from T-Town.

When you're fighting history and unsupportive community (in terms of support for football) I get your point. My point is success in Tarkington cannot be measured in wins and losses unfortunately. Competitiveness and kids enjoying the game and learning life lessons should be more of the focus and if they get a coach that can focus on those things and they stay long enough then the wins will come just takes a special person to commit to such a task

6 hours ago, cat001 said:

When you're fighting history and unsupportive community (in terms of support for football) I get your point. My point is success in Tarkington cannot be measured in wins and losses unfortunately. Competitiveness and kids enjoying the game and learning life lessons should be more of the focus and if they get a coach that can focus on those things and they stay long enough then the wins will come just takes a special person to commit to such a task

There are guys like that all over the state of Texas that are willing to commit to that.  The point you're not getting in saying exactly what you just posted is contradictory.  "History dictates...but if someone commits..." the people in charge of hiring or firing have to realize that; not the guy signing the contract extensions.

I know of a guy that was a holdover from Howard's staff that would have done EXACTLY what you're talking about and the powers that be wanted to bring in someone that had a track record with the supt.  The guy I'm in reference to wanted to be there and would have fallen on the sword for any of those kids.  That's not a stab at Bass, but again, those who make decisions there.

I'm also going to ask you this.  Is it more imortant to win or have fun?  Isn't teaching kids how to battle through adversity what those life lessons are all about?  Are the life lessons you're wanting supposed to be sitting around a camp fire singing Kumbaya while someone is teaching them as long as things are fun and that life will be ok?  Is it ok for ALL of them to be taught those lessons or just the ones with or without the last name? 

I'm not saying winning can't be fun, but how do you teach a group of individuals how to win without instilling discipline and mental/emotional toughness with it all being "fun"?  The answer is you can't fully have fun while you're teaching life lessons.  People only learn from negative self-experiences to be able to empathize with the things they're learning.  Bottom line unless the community is willing to bring a guy in and let him grow the program they're either going to keep attracting guys that are young and just trying to get the head coach title on his resume or guys that are burned out.

15 hours ago, scat_trap said:

There are guys like that all over the state of Texas that are willing to commit to that.  The point you're not getting in saying exactly what you just posted is contradictory.  "History dictates...but if someone commits..." the people in charge of hiring or firing have to realize that; not the guy signing the contract extensions.

I know of a guy that was a holdover from Howard's staff that would have done EXACTLY what you're talking about and the powers that be wanted to bring in someone that had a track record with the supt.  The guy I'm in reference to wanted to be there and would have fallen on the sword for any of those kids.  That's not a stab at Bass, but again, those who make decisions there.

I'm also going to ask you this.  Is it more imortant to win or have fun?  Isn't teaching kids how to battle through adversity what those life lessons are all about?  Are the life lessons you're wanting supposed to be sitting around a camp fire singing Kumbaya while someone is teaching them as long as things are fun and that life will be ok?  Is it ok for ALL of them to be taught those lessons or just the ones with or without the last name? 

I'm not saying winning can't be fun, but how do you teach a group of individuals how to win without instilling discipline and mental/emotional toughness with it all being "fun"?  The answer is you can't fully have fun while you're teaching life lessons.  People only learn from negative self-experiences to be able to empathize with the things they're learning.  Bottom line unless the community is willing to bring a guy in and let him grow the program they're either going to keep attracting guys that are young and just trying to get the head coach title on his resume or guys that are burned out.

I know the exact guy you're talking about and he would have done a great job just never got a shot. All of the things you stated have merit. I'm not going to go question by question but we can agree and disagree on how to run a program. Tarkington community is an interesting one to say the least.