Crosby vs Barbers Hill

Cougar14.2

After losing seven in a row Barbers Hill has won two of the last three contest against Crosby. Last year’s game was more of a regression to the mean with The Hill losing by 27 points in The Jungle. This year Crosby travels to Mont Belvieu in hopes of starting a new streak. Knocking off what looks to be a solid Cougar team would be a great win for the Eagles early in the Abseck era. 

The big question for Crosby at the beginning of the year was would they be as good only returning 6 starters from that great team one year ago.  Still not sure if their as good, but they are more balanced not relying on a couple of superstars to take them to the next level. The Big question for BH of course was will Abseck have the Eagles competing in time for district? I think he is close adding new wrinkles to the offense each week. Crosby will be a huge test and I still give them a 14 point edge going Into this contest. BH will have to come in with the perfect game plan to offset the stingy Crosby defense and play great defense to hold them at bay.  In other words Crosby is the better team on paper in all facets of the game and BH will have to be nothing but perfect to win.

One thing you usually have to do if you want to go deep in the playoffs is run the ball and play defense. I think Abseck is making that BH’s identity. Haggler just had another huge game, 231 yards on 20 carries, and BH rushed for over 400 as a team. 

Considering the way BH leans on the run game and the way Crosby has been stopping it this year I like our chances there. Another thing that keeps popping up is the rate the BH qb turns the ball over at. Throwing three picks against KP doesn’t bode well when you consider Holdren is going to see a lot better pass rush this week against Crosby. 

Dayton sold out to stop the run against Crosby and got burned in the passing game. BH’s weakest position group is probably their dbs, if Myles is going to be as accurate and decisive as he was with the football Friday night I think BH is going to have trouble covering Kirkwood and company. 

I think BH needs to come out and score some points early or this one may get away from them. Crosby’s defense is good and if BH becomes one dimensional on offense it could be a long night for the Eagles. 

9 hours ago, #COUGAR08 said:

Crosby by 27. Don't ask me why, just feels right!

Feels wrong to me 😂 . I’m hoping for a closer game, but you never know. Abseck better have something up his sleeve though because we’re going to need it. One thing this year that we shouldn’t get surprised by is Crosby’s defense. No one even knew Crosby could play defense until last year and that completely threw BH off and they never recovered. 

17 hours ago, BHFAN said:

The big question for Crosby at the beginning of the year was would they be as good only returning 6 starters from that great team one year ago.  Still not sure if their as good, but they are more balanced not relying on a couple of superstars to take them to the next level. The Big question for BH of course was will Abseck have the Eagles competing in time for district? I think he is close adding new wrinkles to the offense each week. Crosby will be a huge test and I still give them a 14 point edge going Into this contest. BH will have to come in with the perfect game plan to offset the stingy Crosby defense and play great defense to hold them at bay.  In other words Crosby is the better team on paper in all facets of the game and BH will have to be nothing but perfect to win.

We definitely are worse at special teams and that could be an X-Factor. 

So in reality i see two possible games. 

BH gets ahead early is able to run the ball a little and you have a close game that goes either way and will likely be determined by X-Factor plays. 

BH gets down a couple scores early and then tries to pass the ball, it snowballs and Crosby looks unbeatable. 

1 minute ago, Cougtalk said:

BH gets ahead early is able to run the ball a little and you have a close game that goes either way and will likely be determined by X-Factor plays. 

BH gets down a couple scores early and then tries to pass the ball, it snowballs and Crosby looks unbeatable. 

Agreed we have not done well under pressure playing from behind. We force to many things which ends up in a turnover.  Key for BH is to stay in the game and make something happen late. Play all 4 quarters and keep your composure. There is no lead safe with Crosby because they have several players that can take it to the house. Our secondary hasn’t done very well this year and will have to step up as well for this game. 

1 hour ago, Cougtalk said:

Yeah pretty much. I'm wondering if we will be able to get as much penetratation against BH's offensive line as we had against others. BH looks pretty solid up front. On the other hand I also look to see some jail break screens from BH against all the blitzing that Crosby does. 

1 hour ago, MrFleet23 said:

Yeah pretty much. I'm wondering if we will be able to get as much penetratation against BH's offensive line as we had against others. BH looks pretty solid up front. On the other hand I also look to see some jail break screens from BH against all the blitzing that Crosby does. 

Like BHfan alluded to, if Crosby brings pressure Holdren is probably going to throw it to us multiple times. If Crosby shuts down the run game the way we have on everybody except Manvel I don't think he is the Jamar Sanders type player that can beat you by himself.

One thing I like that Crosby did was to adjust to Dayton going quick in the passing game after Dayton initially adjusted to Crosby's pass rush. Womack's pick was due to Dayton's QB forcing a bad throw with pressure in his face but three of the other four picks were guys jumping routes after our defenders started to realize Denton didn't have time to look guys off. Without the escapability of Manvel or PAM's QBs you may see a similar performance from BH's QB this week. 

The kids heard a lot of chatter over the Summer about what they weren't supposed to be able to do. I think they have a huge chip on their shoulder and are out to prove people wrong this year. I've probably seen Crosby and Dayton play 25 times and have never seen either team get handled like that. Only thing I remember close to it was the 49-7 game in the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Like BHfan alluded to, if Crosby brings pressure Holdren is probably going to throw it to us multiple times. If Crosby shuts down the run game the way we have on everybody except Manvel I don't think he is the Jamar Sanders type player that can beat you by himself.

One thing I like that Crosby did was to adjust to Dayton going quick in the passing game after Dayton initially adjusted to Crosby's pass rush. Womack's pick was due to Dayton's QB forcing a bad throw with pressure in his face but three of the other four picks were guys jumping routes after our defenders started to realize Denton didn't have time to look guys off. Without the escapability of Manvel or PAM's QBs you may see a similar performance from BH's QB this week. 

The kids heard a lot of chatter over the Summer about what they weren't supposed to be able to do. I think they have a huge chip on their shoulder and are out to prove people wrong this year. I've probably seen Crosby and Dayton play 25 times and have never seen either team get handled like that. Only thing I remember close to it was the 49-7 game in the playoffs. 

For whatever reason Crosby plays best with that chip. I hope they stay underrated. 

RE the new coach, I said weeks ago there will be a new system and a transition period for BH. I said then I expected BH to be 1-4, but more importantly 1-1 and battle tested at this point. I think they will be 2-3 (instead) and 1-1 and battle tested. I am more concerned how they respond after this game, Crosby should win with ease this week. That's just the reality of it.  

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

One thing I think your off on and that’s Holden’s escapability. He does read the blitz pretty well and will burn you if your coming in hot. BH’s O line protects him pretty good, but he won’t be sitting back there all day by any means.  The screen will be needed to keep the Coogs honest along with quick passes. 

1 minute ago, BHFAN said:

One thing I think your off on and that’s Holden’s escapability. He does read the blitz pretty well and will burn you if your coming in hot. BH’s O line protects him pretty good, but he won’t be sitting back there all day by any means.  The screen will be needed to keep the Coogs honest along with quick passes. 

Nah, Fam we keep hearing this those D-lineman from the Cougars are fast and will get to the QB over and over and over. Go check that PAM tape and see what escapable Quarterbacks look like,.