Amazon says "time has come" for U.S. to legalize marijuana

InMAGAWeTrust

Like most issues in this country.. MONEY TALKS

Curious to hear what the personal freedom “conservatives”, who are anti-marijuana, think of this.. (Just kidding, in b4 “what about the kids?”)

Amazon is 

This is the hidden content, please
 the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement 
, a House bill that would end the federal ban on marijuana. The company also 
 the recently introduced 
, a similar bill proposed in the Senate.

43 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Let each state decide.  The US should have no say in the matter, along with a million other things they stick their nose in.

Shouldn’t it be de-facto ‘not illegal’ then? As in, there shouldn’t be a rule in the first place?

Also, what if the state is clearly in the wrong? Like historically on prohibition, interracial marriage, gay marriage, and so on. 

Just thinking out loud. 

48 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I favor on the legalization side. After watching and talking to my now deceased grandmother about her pain and the hoops to jump thru to get her some pain relief I’m for it.

Man I see all the various pain pills the doctors have prescribed to some family members and it just makes me shake my head.

I think with Amazon lobbying for it, the “movement” may have some real traction at the federal/national level, finally  

8 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Shouldn’t it be de-facto ‘not illegal’ then? As in, there shouldn’t be a rule in the first place?

Also, what if the state is clearly in the wrong? Like historically on prohibition, interracial marriage, gay marriage, and so on. 

Just thinking out loud. 

Whether it’s legal or not should be a state call. Prohibition was actually a constitutional amendment, not a state call.

I feel the gov should be out of the marriage business altogether, tax brackets included. When states trample individual rights is the only time the fed gov should get involved imo.  
The constitution defines all enumerated powers given to the fed gov and all else should fall to the states.  Sadly we’re a long way from that.

6 minutes ago, baddog said:

What better way to ensure the complete takeover of a country than to have all of its inhabitants in a drunken stupor like Cheech and Chong. 

While I'm still on the fence about legalizing it, although leaning more toward it now that my son is grown, alcohol is much more dangerous than weed. Plus since it is illegal, buying it puts you in contact with people that may be selling more than weed. Once legalized, I guess that last part won't be a problem.   

5 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

While I'm still on the fence about legalizing it, although leaning more toward it now that my son is grown, alcohol is much more dangerous than weed. Plus since it is illegal, buying it puts you in contact with people that may be selling more than weed. Once legalized, I guess that last part won't be a problem.   

The real gateway drug is MILK. First it was the milk, then the animal crackers, then Budweiser, marijuana, and now PCP ANGEL DUST. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 minute ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

The real gateway drug is MILK. First it was the milk, then the animal crackers, then Budweiser, marijuana, and now PCP ANGEL DUST. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I know my thought process is probably flawed about drugs.....happened as soon as I had my Son......before my Son, I wouldn't have cared if all drugs were made legal.....

Just now, thetragichippy said:

I know my thought process is probably flawed about drugs.....happened as soon as I had my Son......before my Son, I wouldn't have cared if all drugs were made legal.....

Oh my comment was more towards the general gateway drug argument (something tells me bad dog is a believer), not claiming that you were trying to make that argument or anything 

The mistake the government made in their war on drugs was declaring cannabis a schedule 1 drug putting it on the same level as heroin, xtc, LSD and others. 50 years later we know it is not a gateway drug and has many medical uses. Where states have legalized it in the form of medical or recreational use it has not totally shut down the illegal trade because the fallacy of the imposed tax being used for social projects.

You also need to understand that the science behind growing the different strains of cannabis make it easy for the new novice smoker (those over 60), to find an Indica, sativa or hybrid that is cheaper than the OTC drugs prescribed by their doctor. Many times saving them hundreds of dollars a year.

Depending on the side of Beaumont or Houston you live you can buy 1 ounce, 28.3 grams for $150.00 to $250.00. This is much less than dispensary price of $40-$90 per 3.5 grams or 1/8 oz which most of your semi-quasi "legal" state dispensaries charge. I use that term because when the state(s) legalize cannabis, it is still illegal on the federal level.

In Washington state and British Columbia you are asked to provide an id to verify age much like alcohol. In Michigan they not only ask for id, they actually put your name in the dispensaries data base but it is not quite clear if the state has the right to that information. If a person does buy it legally in say Colorado, Michigan, Washington or any other legal state there is not a problem until you leave that state. In doing so you now break federal law and depending on the quantity being carried it becomes trafficking.

The interesting part is individuals in Michigan can grow up to 12 plants per person for (personal consumption) and they are allowed to "gift" up to 1.5 ounces. The average plant yields around 17.5 ounces x $200 x12 = $42,000.00, this will unmistakably increase the "illegal" trade. Also Michigan law leaves it up to the "townships" to determine if they want that business in their community, which I believe fits our form of government the best. 

Amazon does not sell alcohol or tobacco, so their push for legalization of cannabis appears to be a red herring to me. If your company cannot sell it and god help us if you can start getting alcohol, tobacco and cannabis on line, then why push for decriminalization of cannabis.

Probably more info than y'all needed but it is Thursday...

3 minutes ago, Derf Nosneb said:

The mistake the government made in their war on drugs was declaring cannabis a schedule 1 drug putting it on the same level as heroin, xtc, LSD and others. 50 years later we know it is not a gateway drug and has many medical uses. Where states have legalized it in the form of medical or recreational use it has not totally shut down the illegal trade because the fallacy of the imposed tax being used for social projects.

You also need to understand that the science behind growing the different strains of cannabis make it easy for the new novice smoker (those over 60), to find an Indica, sativa or hybrid that is cheaper than the OTC drugs prescribed by their doctor. Many times saving them hundreds of dollars a year.

Depending on the side of Beaumont or Houston you live you can buy 1 ounce, 28.3 grams for $150.00 to $250.00. This is much less than dispensary price of $40-$90 per 3.5 grams or 1/8 oz which most of your semi-quasi "legal" state dispensaries charge. I use that term because when the state(s) legalize cannabis, it is still illegal on the federal level.

In Washington state and British Columbia you are asked to provide an id to verify age much like alcohol. In Michigan they not only ask for id, they actually put your name in the dispensaries data base but it is not quite clear if the state has the right to that information. If a person does buy it legally in say Colorado, Michigan, Washington or any other legal state there is not a problem until you leave that state. In doing so you now break federal law and depending on the quantity being carried it becomes trafficking.

The interesting part is individuals in Michigan can grow up to 12 plants per person for (personal consumption) and they are allowed to "gift" up to 1.5 ounces. The average plant yields around 17.5 ounces x $200 x12 = $42,000.00, this will unmistakably increase the "illegal" trade. Also Michigan law leaves it up to the "townships" to determine if they want that business in their community, which I believe fits our form of government the best. 

Amazon does not sell alcohol or tobacco, so their push for legalization of cannabis appears to be a red herring to me. If your company cannot sell it and god help us if you can start getting alcohol, tobacco and cannabis on line, then why push for decriminalization of cannabis.

Probably more info than y'all needed but it is Thursday...

You seem like a smart guy Fred, maybe once day I will visit you in Colorado (if you’ll host me, of course 😜)

i think amazons lobbying was more so to help address the “labor shortage”, as people are turning to their respective vices more now than ever to deal with this crazy world, and the current testing rules significantly limit the pool of talent for them to hire from 

but obviously, and I think most people can agree, no one wants people who are actively high out here driving and delivering packages. On their own time, after work, most normal people don’t care 

5 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

You seem like a smart guy Fred, maybe once day I will visit you in Colorado (if you’ll host me, of course 😜)

i think amazons lobbying was more so to help address the “labor shortage”, as people are turning to their respective vices more now than ever to deal with this crazy world, and the current testing rules significantly limit the pool of talent for them to hire from 

but obviously, and I think most people can agree, no one wants people who are actively high out here driving and delivering packages. On their own time, after work, most normal people don’t care 

Not moving to Colorado buddy, moving to Michigan. 

Actually most employers do not random test anymore, especially the education system. Hemp is now legal in Texas which has led to the CBD craze, but the current testing procedures cannot tell the difference between someone that smoked CDB less than .1 THC content and Cannabis with 15%-30% THC.

Your comment "no one wants people who are actively high out here driving and delivering packages", is actually laughable. If you or anyone else knew how many people "medicate" and that what it is, medicating everyday you would be shocked. It would scare the heck out of most people if I took y'all down the rabbit hole of those who medicate on a daily basis and 99.9% of you would never know it. Chances are 50% of the work force is working with someone right now that medicated before work, during their breaks or lunch and when they get home. There is no difference between medicating with cannabis or prescription drugs that people use everyday that contain opioids or Hydrocodone.

1 hour ago, Derf Nosneb said:

Not moving to Colorado buddy, moving to Michigan. 

Actually most employers do not random test anymore, especially the education system. Hemp is now legal in Texas which has led to the CBD craze, but the current testing procedures cannot tell the difference between someone that smoked CDB less than .1 THC content and Cannabis with 15%-30% THC.

Your comment "no one wants people who are actively high out here driving and delivering packages", is actually laughable. If you or anyone else knew how many people "medicate" and that what it is, medicating everyday you would be shocked. It would scare the heck out of most people if I took y'all down the rabbit hole of those who medicate on a daily basis and 99.9% of you would never know it. Chances are 50% of the work force is working with someone right now that medicated before work, during their breaks or lunch and when they get home. There is no difference between medicating with cannabis or prescription drugs that people use everyday that contain opioids or Hydrocodone.

Alright man, at this point you’re just arguing just to argue. It doesn’t matter what I say, you’ll disagree.

Argue with Amazon from here on out -

The commerce giant also said that screening job applicants for cannabis makes it hard for the company, the nation's second-biggest private employer, to expand its workforce.

58 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Alright man, at this point you’re just arguing just to argue. It doesn’t matter what I say, you’ll disagree.

The commerce giant also said that screening job applicants for cannabis makes it hard for the company, the nation's second-biggest private employer, to expand its workforce.

That's a sad reflection on our workforce.

3 hours ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Take a step back, I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out the facts of the debate and why I called it a red herring. 

Like covid, if you don't screen for it, it's a mute point on employment status. Last I checked there is no federal or state law that requires drug screen for employment, but I am not positive. What I do know is any employer public or private can require a drug screen if it is their policy. I think if you work a job where "safety" is the number one responsibility, those employees should be random checked. Same goes for truck drivers, mfg, medical, law enforcement.

The actual point of my comment was, people medicate each and everyday and the chance that you will interact with a person who is medicated is close to 50%. By medication I am referring to cannabis, alcohol, tobacco and prescription drugs.

2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

That's a sad reflection on our workforce.

I personally know hundreds of fellow employees over the years that medicate. Weather that be cannabis, legal/illegal pills or alcohol and alcohol is probably the most common medication used by outside sales people. Heck I could go to 75% of the football games in Houston and point out officials who I guarantee smoked cannabis 1 hour before kick off.  

I don't think its a sad reflection on the workforce, more of a reflection of todays problems in society.

I’m all for it.  It’s no worse than alcohol if you’re not buying it from a guy who might also convince you to give something like meth or heroin a try.  In fact, most smokers I know/have known tended to get in a lot less trouble and do a lot less stupid crap than the people I know/have known that drink to inebriation.