Jasper at Vidor/Vidor wins 8-7 !

AggiesAreWe

13 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Sadly the officiating (a necessary evil, & hats off to them) in several sports seems to have dropped off somewhat.  But bad as they may be, there’s no game without them.  I saw video of one play where the Jasper QB went back to pass & started rolling to his right.  #99 was bulling passed the center & right out in the open the center wrapped both arms around him in what looked like an attempted tackle.  Couldn’t believe there was no flag.  Anyway, proud of the Pirates.  As posted before, no quit in these guys.

I agree, without them none of these games are possible. But they did keep the game under control with all the personal fouls last night. But the flags were equally thrown pretty much both ways. But still a great game anyways! 

• Bigdog changed the title to Jasper at Vidor/Vidor wins 8-7 !
4 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

first and foremost, hats off to the Vidor Pirates for playing a helluva game and getting the win.

now, if I may address a call by the officials that very well may have impacted the outcome of the game. 

Jasper was flagged for excessive celebration after scoring their TD.  that is a dead ball foul that should have been enforced on pat.

instead it was enforced on Jasper's kickoff to Vidor.  instead of kicking from the 40 it was kicked from the 25. 

maybe those 15 yards may not have helped in the scoring drive but I can tell you this, it sure did NOT hurt it.

I don’t really like that call, excessive celebration when you finally score the only points of a hard fought game. But maybe a player took it too far and did something egregious. Definitely worked in the Pirates favor though the way they enforced it plus we got 5 more yards tacked on to the end for an offsides on the kickoff. Vidor still doesn’t score though if Jasper doesn’t commit a foul on the incomplete pass at the end. It would have been 4th and 14 without the penalty, they should have left the QB alone that pass play had no chance.

21 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I don’t really like that call, excessive celebration when you finally score the only points of a hard fought game. But maybe a player took it too far and did something egregious. Definitely worked in the Pirates favor though the way they enforced it plus we got 5 more yards tacked on to the end for an offsides on the kickoff. Vidor still doesn’t score though if Jasper doesn’t commit a foul on the incomplete pass at the end. It would have been 4th and 14 without the penalty, they should have left the QB alone that pass play had no chance.

It was because 2 players took off their helmets, which is a penalty. 

9 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

It's sad that with all of this technology, we can't get better info than we used to. I'll never understand it. 

It is not technology. It is because there is no one there that is paid to do it.

The local news media now is almost nonexistent compared to what it was. That is from regular news to sports to whatever. You can go to any of the local media Facebook pages and see dozens or even hundreds of comments about an incident. Then someone will ask, what about the details, which way did they run, what do they look like, etc. and why wasn’t that information in there? more than likely the reason is, the story was not from a reporter. It was likely from a news release from a police department and sometime copied word for word or it is rewritten saying the same thing. A reporter probably did not show up at the scene although I do see them on rare occasion.

I have brought this up before usually in another forum. As a police officer when I used to show up at some kind of major incident (house fire, shooting, robbery, etc.) 30 years ago, once the scene was secured, one of the next steps was to set up an area for the media. They naturally wanted  to get close to the scene where they could take pictures or talk to witnesses. I could show up at a large house fire at 2 AM and within about 30 minutes I might be talking to reporters from the Beaumont Enterprise and Port Arthur News and also from the three local television stations. So I would have at least five reporters asking questions and wanting to know details. I think they used to have at least one junior reporter listening to the police and fire scanners at night. I have had a few reporters called me and tell me that they just heard something on the radio and wanted to know if it was worth showing up at the scene.

I would not be surprised if any officer that has less than 15 years of experience, has ever talked  to or even seen a reporter at a major scene. They surely would not know what I was talking about  if I walked up to one and said, where is the media area going to be.

I believe it is the same way as sports. At one time the papers had full staffs of reporters for all kinds of new stories. I would not be surprised if newspapers have lost 80% or more of their reporters.

I think the technology is what killed it. The news media no longer depends on hiring several persons to drive to locations to find out what is happening. That includes local sports. They have not completely vanished and there are still reporters but they have certainly been cut way back.

In my opinion. 

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

It is not technology. It is because there is no one there that is paid to do it.

The local news media now is almost nonexistent compared to what it was. That is from regular news to sports to whatever. You can go to any of the local media Facebook pages and see dozens or even hundreds of comments about an incident. Then someone will ask, what about the details, which way did they run, what do they look like, etc. and why wasn’t that information in there? more than likely the reason is, the story was not from a reporter. It was likely from a news release from a police department and sometime copied word for word or it is rewritten saying the same thing. A reporter probably did not show up at the scene although I do see them on rare occasion.

I have brought this up before usually in another forum. As a police officer when I used to show up at some kind of major incident (house fire, shooting, robbery, etc.) 30 years ago, once the scene was secured, one of the next steps was to set up an area for the media. They naturally wanted  to get close to the scene where they could take pictures or talk to witnesses. I could show up at a large house fire at 2 AM and within about 30 minutes I might be talking to reporters from the Beaumont Enterprise and Port Arthur News and also from the three local television stations. So I would have at least five reporters asking questions and wanting to know details. I think they used to have at least one junior reporter listening to the police and fire scanners at night. I have had a few reporters called me and tell me that they just heard something on the radio and wanted to know if it was worth showing up at the scene.

I would not be surprised if any officer that has less than 15 years of experience, has ever talked  to or even seen a reporter at a major scene. They surely would not know what I was talking about  if I walked up to one and said, where is the media area going to be.

I believe it is the same way as sports. At one time the papers had full staffs of reporters for all kinds of new stories. I would not be surprised if newspapers have lost 80% or more of their reporters.

I think the technology is what killed it. The news media no longer depends on hiring several persons to drive to locations to find out what is happening. That includes local sports. They have not completely vanished and there are still reporters but they have certainly been cut way back.

In my opinion. 

So many advances in technology.  So many folks laud these advances, but you’ve pointed out one of the glaring downsides.  It’s great for out of area news, but local coverage suffers.  Yes, this is a good news/bad news scenario.  Sad because we lose so much local background and color, be it sports or a crime scene.  Cest la vie.

On 9/25/2021 at 7:02 AM, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

first and foremost, hats off to the Vidor Pirates for playing a helluva game and getting the win.

now, if I may address a call by the officials that very well may have impacted the outcome of the game. 

Jasper was flagged for excessive celebration after scoring their TD.  that is a dead ball foul that should have been enforced on pat.

instead it was enforced on Jasper's kickoff to Vidor.  instead of kicking from the 40 it was kicked from the 25. 

maybe those 15 yards may not have helped in the scoring drive but I can tell you this, it sure did NOT hurt it.

The coach has the option to take in on the PAT or the kickoff.  

2 hours ago, pine curtain said:

It happens all the time on Saturday football.

Here is a example where they were going to take it on the kickoff then decided to move the back for the extra point.

I don’t know the answer of the penalty. I thought the UIL rules were, we go by NCAA rules “except”, and then they change a bunch of rules.

Meaning, just because the NCAA does it does not mean the UIL approves it.