season is around the corner!! who are some teams to put an eye on

22 hours ago, whsalum said:

In those 3 years how many district championships has HF won ? I think Huffman graduated one player albeit a good one. HJ has a ton of returning talent and will be the deepest team in the district. Huffman and HJ have had a bonafide basketball coach for years. We probably just need to agree to disagree.Β 

HJ has always been 2nd place in a two team race every year under their current head coach and then gets bounced in the 2nd round. They lost to BC blowing a 20pt lead last year and that team was better. Stop it 🀣. They will finish 3rd this year and that's ok considering the other two teams. 

14 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HJ has always been 2nd place in a two team race every year under their current head coach and then gets bounced in the 2nd round. They lost to BC blowing a 20pt lead last year and that team was better. Stop it 🀣. They will finish 3rd this year and that's ok considering the other two teams. 

HJ finished as co-champions last year and lost a seeding game by one point to the eventual state runner up. The loss to BC should not have happened even with their best player suspended. They got caught looking past the Cardinals. Just for grins tell me who finished 3rd in that district race last year going 0-4 against the top two teams and then got beat like a rented mule by a young Silsbee Tiger team ?Β 

14 hours ago, whsalum said:

HJ finished as co-champions last year and lost a seeding game by one point to the eventual state runner up. The loss to BC should not have happened even with their best player suspended. They got caught looking past the Cardinals. Just for grins tell me who finished 3rd in that district race last year going 0-4 against the top two teams and then got beat like a rented mule by a young Silsbee Tiger team ?Β 

The team that suffered injuries in the middle of district and that beat Silsbee, HJ, and Huffman the previous year in a row with thatΒ same team, but healthy. As far as last years first round lost to Silsbee. Didn't that same Silsbee team come within minutes of making it to state? πŸ€”Β  Make no mistake a healthy HF team wouldn't have lost to HJ or Huffman twice. HJ barley made it out of that home game against HF which had just gotten back their best player after being out a month with an ankle injury. And of course had certain coachesΒ not been scared to play aΒ  certified bucket and not gotten him ruled ineligible, despite him being a former HFISD student who was simply returning to finish high school, thoseΒ injures wouldn't have effected them as much as theyΒ did. Well he's eligible this year plus the previous 4Β two year starters and the backups. They now can score and defend from all 5 positions in their starting lineup, plus the next 3-4 players off the bench. Their starting 5 will possibly be 6'1, 6'2, 6'3, 6'3, and 6'4 with all of them being able to score in 4A basketball.Β  Good luck with your assessment of how that district will turn out 🀣🀣.Β 

Silsbee is a year older and little bigger than last year. I see Harris is listed at 6'3 and Miller is about 6'2. They have gotten physically bigger along with Botley, Jones, Harper and a few others. Did Raymond Bastrop graduate last year? I really liked to watch him play. Silsbee will be deeper than the championship teams from the past. There are some kids on last years freshman team who will be on varsity balling out as well. I think they will be able to go 5-6 deep off the bench.Β 

17 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee is a year older and little bigger than last year. I see Harris is listed at 6'3 and Miller is about 6'2. They have gotten physically bigger along with Botley, Jones, Harper and a few others. Did Raymond Bastrop graduate last year? I really liked to watch him play. Silsbee will be deeper than the championship teams from the past. There are some kids on last years freshman team who will be on varsity balling out as well. I think they will be able to go 5-6 deep off the bench.Β 

Baltrip and Gilder graduated.

Silsbee returns 4 starters and 5 other players who saw significant minutes last year.

With the additions from JV/9th teams, Silsbee will be at least 10 deep.

2 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

I keep seeing posts of β€œdeeper than championship teams”, Β I love the depth and makeup of this current team and what they will accomplish is yet to be seen. Β However they will have a hard time truly being deeper than that first championship team. Β That team had two legit starting fives and a player or two still on the bench.

19 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I keep seeing posts of β€œdeeper than championship teams”, Β I love the depth and makeup of this current team and what they will accomplish is yet to be seen. Β However they will have a hard time truly being deeper than that first championship team. Β That team had two legit starting fives and a player or two still on the bench.

My disclaimer is I didn’t see Silsbee play last year so I know little about this years team. But I’d beΒ Β skeptical to compare them with the likes of Bush, Adams, McCain, BarnesΒ Β etc. Β They could wind up being better but that would be a hard task.Β 

47 minutes ago, no-look said:

My disclaimer is I didn’t see Silsbee play last year so I know little about this years team. But I’d beΒ Β skeptical to compare them with the likes of Bush, Adams, McCain, BarnesΒ Β etc. Β They could wind up being better but that would be a hard task.Β 

The Tigers will be very good over the next 3 seasons but I don’t see them being compared to the teams that won back to back titles. Bush just put those teams on a different level.Β 

On 10/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, whsalum said:

The Tigers will be very good over the next 3 seasons but I don’t see them being compared to the teams that won back to back titles. Bush just put those teams on a different level.Β 

Yep. Bush was the motor. Watched him play several times. Fun to watch.Β 

I don't think this group at Silsbee will be deeper than that 2017 team. That 2017 team actually had 9 players that went on to play either football or basketball at the next level. They were truly 12-13 deep.

I'm just going off what area coaches have told me what they think about this group. All have stated that outside of Harris and Miller, there is no Adams, Bush or McCain. But they believe that both Harris and Miller can be those type stars if not already there. They also said this group is much deeper than what Adams, Bush and McCain had there junior and senior seasons. This talk is widely based on what these coaches saw in middle school. Silsbee had several weapons with this current group and not like when Adams and McCain were middle schoolers.

I'll just say this, based on what I have saw and what others have told me, I will be very disappointed if this particular group doesn't at least make a state championship game appearance during these next 3 years. I honestly think they are primed to win another state championship. Maybe not this year, but in next three for sure.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, whsalum said:

HJ missed their chance at a state run last year, and won't have another realistic chance for quite some time.Β  They were basically evenly matched with Huffman, but bombed out in the first round against BC.Β  For the first time in a long time the 4A tournament played like the small town tourney it should be every year, and HJ had their best team for the better part of a decade.Β  Combined with both Silsbee and Yates being way down, HJ should've been about 50/50 with Huffman to go to state.Β  This area will be running through silsbee again for the next several years.Β  They should have a very interesting competition for district this year between HH/HF/HJ.Β  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of 2-loss teams tie for district champs.Β Β 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, ST413 said:

Agree

11 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I don't think this group at Silsbee will be deeper than that 2017 team. That 2017 team actually had 9 players that went on to play either football or basketball at the next level. They were truly 12-13 deep.

I'm just going off what area coaches have told me what they think about this group. All have stated that outside of Harris and Miller, there is no Adams, Bush or McCain. But they believe that both Harris and Miller can be those type stars if not already there. They also said this group is much deeper than what Adams, Bush and McCain had there junior and senior seasons. This talk is widely based on what these coaches saw in middle school. Silsbee had several weapons with this current group and not like when Adams and McCain were middle schoolers.

I'll just say this, based on what I have saw and what others have told me, I will be very disappointed if this particular group doesn't at least make a state championship game appearance during these next 3 years. I honestly think they are primed to win another state championship. Maybe not this year, but in next three for sure.

They have a very very good group of 10th graders and some good 11th graders. That 8th grade team that won that Houston middle school tourney was deep.Β 

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

HJ missed their chance at a state run last year, and won't have another realistic chance for quite some time.Β  They were basically evenly matched with Huffman, but bombed out in the first round against BC.Β  For the first time in a long time the 4A tournament played like the small town tourney it should be every year, and HJ had their best team for the better part of a decade.Β  Combined with both Silsbee and Yates being way down, HJ should've been about 50/50 with Huffman to go to state.Β  This area will be running through silsbee again for the next several years.Β  They should have a very interesting competition for district this year between HH/HF/HJ.Β  I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of 2-loss teams tie for district champs.Β Β 

I can agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I think the district championship in HH/HF/HJ district will come down to whichever team can steal a win on the road. We probably will be looking at another seedingΒ Β game which will be important to push a match up with Silsbee down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see why this current group is being compared to the 2017 years. Β They have a full bench right now. & more are coming after football. Β They don’t have the talent of the 2017 team, but they have a lot of athleticism. Β They have decent height. Β The coach was constaptly sending in new and fresh players, in waves. Β 

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, Cardinal 1 said:

Sears is the only valid threat on that team offensivey. Brown is a solid PG but not anything comparable to the PG from last year who was the real leader of that team. Unless he drastically fixed his game over the past month or so from the last time I saw him play this summer, then he will be ineffective in competitive games. Davis Jr can't guard his lunch in Sunday school, but he can shoot at a high clip if left open. All others are just solid role players. They will be a good team, but not district champs. They will be 3rd behind HF and Huffman. HF will win it barring injuries.Β 

I was going back in time looking for something else, but couldn't not quote this.Β  you have a lot of quotes in this thread that aged poorly.Β Β 

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

I was going back in time looking for something else, but couldn't not quote this.Β  you have a lot of quotes in this thread that aged poorly.Β Β 

Isiah Malbrough changed everything for HJ and is main reason they are having a great district run. I dont think anyone saw him coming! The kid developed his game seemly overnight and is just a junior!

48 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Isiah Malbrough changed everything for HJ and is main reason they are having a great district run. I dont think anyone saw him coming! The kid developed his game seemly overnight and is just a junior!

No sir I gotta disagree. I saw this coming from a mile away. I told ya they had some kids coming off a 20-1 JV club who would contribute big time. Isiah was one of the kids I was referring to. My biggest miss on this club was White. He didn’t return and would have been a difference maker big time for this club. Samaha has really developed also in his sophomore season. Looks like the Hawks will finish district exactly where I had em penciled in. Maybe there is something to tradition and maybe the Coach is a little better than he was given credit for??Β 

4 hours ago, whsalum said:

No sir I gotta disagree. I saw this coming from a mile away. I told ya they had some kids coming off a 20-1 JV club who would contribute big time. Isiah was one of the kids I was referring to. My biggest miss on this club was White. He didn’t return and would have been a difference maker big time for this club. Samaha has really developed also in his sophomore season. Looks like the Hawks will finish district exactly where I had em penciled in. Maybe there is something to tradition and maybe the Coach is a little better than he was given credit for??Β 

Yeah he's good at getting the kids from Beaumont their freshman year so that they can play at least 3 years varsity πŸ˜‚