GCCISD Week 3

Peppermint Patty

6 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

where as GCCISD is more about the everyone gets a trophy mentality with the 3 schools. That way they can have 3 bands, 3 qbs etc.  

I hear what you are saying about one unified school, but I don't think having more kids on the field or in the band is necessarily a bad thing. At any given moment, 33 (3x 11) are on the field, as opposed to 11. More opportunities for more students. Those other 22 matter. This extends to things like one act play, academic contests etc. too.  

I want to be clear though I am not advocating for "everyone gets a trophy". You have to earn accomplishments, as opposed to to being handed a ribbon for just showing up. Ultimately, I don't think sports should drive school size and attendance but of course it happens to some degree. Growth's raw numbers and logistics should decide how many and what size schools districts have. Many different valid views here, I can see both sides of it. 

I'm not sure why GCM has not been better  Usually the newer school always gets a new school bump in output because that's where the upwardly mobile families that care about sports are moving. They also have McNair I am assuming? I would have bet good money on it that GCM would have at least been able to have LaPorte type success let's say. Instead they are no better than Lee or Sterling really over the last decade.

15 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

Yes I was talking about attendance and atmosphere. Like Patty said, many are RSS graduates from the 90s whose kids attend BH. There is a rivalry between the kids now that wasn't there when I was in school.

Back in the mid 90s BH was a 3a and where you went if you couldn't hack it at 5A Sterling or Lee to get to play. That is no longer the case with the boom that has occurred out there with mostly Baytown people. BH puts a lot of effort into making it known that sports are very important where as GCCISD is more about the everyone gets a trophy mentality with the 3 schools. That way they can have 3 bands, 3 qbs etc.  I much prefer the one horse town where everyone is an eagle and an administration that wants to win and understands the publicity that comes with it. 

Now that the schools are roughly the same size, RSS and BH should play every year and I'm ok with mixing in GCM every once in while vs playing an HISD schools or traveling an hour away to play someone.

I often drive by stallworth on a friday night and feel terrible for those kids with hardly anyone in the stands. Most of the time its either Lee or GCM that is playing when I see that. Go watch a BH game on a Friday night and the home side stands are full. If I am kid that is where I would want to play, its a great atmosphere. 

That right there is funny lmao.  But Your last statement is correct. Drives me crazy to not see fans in the stands of these schools..

12 hours ago, panamamyers said:

I'm not sure why GCM has not been better  Usually the newer school always gets a new school bump in output because that's where the upwardly mobile families that care about sports are moving. They also have McNair I am assuming? I would have bet good money on it that GCM would have at least been able to have LaPorte type success let's say. Instead they are no better than Lee or Sterling really over the last decade.

McNair has not produced athletes in years. 

1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

McNair has not produced athletes in years. 

OK but I still don't get it. They should be better than they are. Any other new school anywhere is built because upwardly mobile families are filling out the area and they are almost always good in sports for a period of time. Just seems weird that GCM has had what...two good years in a decade and a half?

13 hours ago, panamamyers said:

OK but I still don't get it. They should be better than they are. Any other new school anywhere is built because upwardly mobile families are filling out the area and they are almost always good in sports for a period of time. Just seems weird that GCM has had what...two good years in a decade and a half?

We have a Quilted Northern problem in Baytown- Undeniably soft. 

22 hours ago, BlackShirts5 said:

That right there is funny lmao.  But Your last statement is correct. Drives me crazy to not see fans in the stands of these schools..

What is so funny? I saw it a few times in my class. One in particular couldn't make varsity football or baseball but went to BH and became all state. Family rented an apartment on eagle drive.  Not saying all of BH was not capable, I am saying the ones that transferred in from Baytown were coming for a reason.

In baseball ,football and basketball RSS would have spanked any BH team in boys sports back then. Not sure on the girls side but on the boys side the gap was huge. Not sure what year was the breaking point but its def not the case anymore obviously.

23 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

What is so funny? I saw it a few times in my class. One in particular couldn't make varsity football or baseball but went to BH and became all state. Family rented an apartment on eagle drive.  Not saying all of BH was not capable, I am saying the ones that transferred in from Baytown were coming for a reason.

In baseball ,football and basketball RSS would have spanked any BH team in boys sports back then. Not sure on the girls side but on the boys side the gap was huge. Not sure what year was the breaking point but its def not the case anymore obviously.

Speaking for myself I did not attend BH cause i couldn't play for Lee or RSS.  I was at BH cause thats where my parents moved to from out of state.

There is probably no doubt Lee would have probably handled us my 3 years on Varsity. RSS idk, they may have worn us down and beat us in the end with all 28-30 players we had lmao.

14 hours ago, panamamyers said:

Its very simple. 

17 minutes ago, BlackShirts5 said:

Speaking for myself I did not attend BH cause i couldn't play for Lee or RSS.  I was at BH cause thats where my parents moved to from out of state.

There is probably no doubt Lee would have probably handled us my 3 years on Varsity. RSS idk, they may have worn us down and beat us in the end with all 28-30 players we had lmao.

Thats why I clarified the kids coming from Baytown but there is zero doubt. RSS and Lee were going toe to toe with North Shore and West Brook in those days while BH was playing East Chambers lol. 

I hear you, I am not saying there was no players at all but I am saying there was a huge difference in a 3a football team and a 5a football team. RSS had some stout teams in the mid 90s even though Lee dominated after Olins first year. 93-97 in particular had some stout players including Rocky Bernard who starred at A&M and for the Giants and Seahawks.  I cant remember what year Mike Hendricks was who signed with Fla State as a TE. He was a stud as well.

1 hour ago, Steven Avery said:

Thats why I clarified the kids coming from Baytown but there is zero doubt. RSS and Lee were going toe to toe with North Shore and West Brook in those days while BH was playing East Chambers lol. 

I hear you, I am not saying there was no players at all but I am saying there was a huge difference in a 3a football team and a 5a football team. RSS had some stout teams in the mid 90s even though Lee dominated after Olins first year. 93-97 in particular had some stout players including Rocky Bernard who starred at A&M and for the Giants and Seahawks.  I cant remember what year Mike Hendricks was who signed with Fla State as a TE. He was a stud as well.

Hendricks graduated in 1992.

The biggest issue at Sterling that some of the best athletes choose to play only baseball. We have had a couple of QB's (Cervenka and Dempsey) that would have had huge impacts on the football field. Cervenka went on to the MLB Minor leagues and Dempsey played baseball at UH. There have several more, but when the football team is struggling its hard to convince a young man to expose himself to injury over a sport he has a better future in. Plus, the baseball program has been very successful.

Well I’ve stayed away long enough 😀 my opinion on this is that GCISD destroyed Baytown athletics by adding GCM. The school has now watered down athletics for Lee & Sterling as well as took away a great rivalry in the process. I’m not sure how Baytown can fix this, but this also IMO relies on the culture. Baytown as a town always seem to half arse everything no matter what it is (reminds me of Beaumont). As for the BH playing Baytown schools we will be there soon enough, but I agree that we should schedule. 

40 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Hendricks graduated in 1992.

The biggest issue at Sterling that some of the best athletes choose to play only baseball. We have had a couple of QB's (Czervanka and Dempsey) that would have had huge impacts on the football field. Czervanka went on to the MLB Minor leagues and Dempsey played baseball at UH. There have several more, but when the football team is struggling its hard to convince a young man to expose himself to injury over a sport he has a better future in. Plus, the baseball program has been very successful.

Agreed and the football coach never once atleast while I was there tried to sway the baseball players to come out. This was during the Mike Manley days.

1 hour ago, Go-rilla said:

Sterling had Rocky and Eric Polk and could not sniff the playoffs. Hendricks was well before them. Lee was loaded back then. After Eric and Rocky Graduated RSS was not very good.

They would have in todays world of 4 teams make the playoffs. Pretty tough when you had Lee and North Shore in your district and not to mention  players like James Brown and Christian Michael at West Brook over the years. 

I knew Hendricks was atleast Class of 92 because he was gone by the time I got there.

Also, I'm convinced had Dick Olin been the coach at RSS and Mike Manley at Lee, the success and D1 talent would have flipped sides of town. The talent was there it just was not utilized correctly. 

33 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Well I’ve stayed away long enough 😀 my opinion on this is that GCISD destroyed Baytown athletics by adding GCM. The school has now watered down athletics for Lee & Sterling as well as took away a great rivalry in the process. I’m not sure how Baytown can fix this, but this also IMO relies on the culture. Baytown as a town always seem to half arse everything no matter what it is (reminds me of Beaumont). As for the BH playing Baytown schools we will be there soon enough, but I agree that we should schedule. 

Agree 100%. Should have opened a freshman campus and gone to the one high school model which goes back to my comment on everyone gets a trophy. They were at a Y in the road and choose the wrong turn if they ever want to be truly successful. Well I guess that depends on the definition of success, is it wins or losses or total number of uniforms worn? 

50 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

Agree 100%. Should have opened a freshman campus and gone to the one high school model which goes back to my comment on everyone gets a trophy. They were at a Y in the road and choose the wrong turn if they ever want to be truly successful. Well I guess that depends on the definition of success, is it wins or losses or total number of uniforms worn? 

After GCM, one high school was the answer. Not going to win any state championships IMO, but going to be much more competitive. I think the competition aspect scares most Baytownians.