Manvel 35 Crosby 21/FINAL

AggiesAreWe

7 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

Casey is #40 ?

against Carthage 40 had his way the entire game.  An athlete playing on the D-line.

Yes, he’s #40. Manvel had a double team on him almost all night and basically neutralized him. Still made a few plays but their scheme against him is why they probably ran for 300 yards on us. Considering the personnel on the field I thought there was very high level play in the trenches from both sides. 

Man, I wish I could post these videos of the plays we missed. Play calling was superb last night if we just hit the open receivers.

We were never going going to be able to hold up to that Manvel o-line all night, especially with a back like Demontre Seymour which we probably won’t see for the rest of the year. You would’ve been able to take a whole bunch of money from me if you bet me we were going to hold them to 28 offensive points though. They used their size and pounded the ball on us at will at times but the only real mistake we made was a bad run fit on which Seymour hits us for about 70 basically untouched. Their qb went untouched on a read-option keeper but we were at the point where we had to sell out on Seymour so it was what it was. 

Even with Crosby getting in their own way, if we don’t have middle school level execution on the fg attempt we probably go into the half with a 10-7 lead. I mean, we roll the snap back there and kick it into one of our own linemen and it bounces right into the hands of a Manvel defender. We haven’t done that the whole 4 years Helburg has been our kicker and we probably won’t again.

OC dials up a double move on one play and perfectly timed wheel route Manvel busts a coverage on on another play, they’re both wide arse open and we miss them both. Crosby is driving to tie it up before the half and Manvel gets us in like 3rd and 8. Manvel plays cover 1 man under and gets pressure off the left side with the Boston College commit, qb rolls right and had been effective running so the corner comes off the WR early leaving him WIDE open for a td and we don’t even see him. We’re going to make that play. 

At the end of the day we’ve just played Carthage and Manvel and the defense is giving up 24ppg. We’ve given up 14 points on special teams which I know for a fact will get fixed. Offense isn’t where you want it to be but it does feel like we’re on the verge. I thought it was a lot more likely that we would be 0-2 than 2-0 at this point in the season but I feel a heck of a lot better than I thought I would. 

3 hours ago, HikeMoncho said:

Could it be that Crosby is better than they have been given credit for? Or is Manvel not as good as expected? Or both even? 

I think we are a hesitant fan base. We don't go to State very often and have a brutal region. 

So when we talk about these games ultimately we are worried about those games against Huntsville, and Fort Bend Marshall, and Maybe Texas High. So we see someone like Manvel and we realize they will have the size and speed like a FB Marshall. Or a Carthage who has a defense very similar to Huntsville. So we are in compare mode and we have to execute to win those games. 

Now Manvel would likely beat anyone on our schedule, or in 5AD2 minus maybe Aledo. 

Carthage would beat anyone in our district, IMO. 

Now We play PAM, if we play poorly again in that one then you'll see people a little worried about this team. Especially given BH is only a couple games away. 

7 hours ago, HikeMoncho said:

Congrats Crosby on what sounds like a great effort in a tough game!

I seem to remember a lot of predictions for Manvel to blow Crosby out… 🤔

Could it be that Crosby is better than they have been given credit for? Or is Manvel not as good as expected? Or both even? 

I think Manvel’s showing against Dickinson proved they’re as good as they’re projected to be. Dropped 42 last week on a squad that’s one of the better big 6As in the Houston area and only lost because of multiple mistakes in the kicking game. Katy Paetow is probably the only team left on their schedule that can stay within 20 points of them. They’ll need to tighten up the defense but I don’t see anybody stopping that run game before they get to Dallas. 

5 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

I think we are a hesitant fan base. We don't go to State very often and have a brutal region. 

So when we talk about these games ultimately we are worried about those games against Huntsville, and Fort Bend Marshall, and Maybe Texas High. So we see someone like Manvel and we realize they will have the size and speed like a FB Marshall. Or a Carthage who has a defense very similar to Huntsville. So we are in compare mode and we have to execute to win those games. 

Now Manvel would likely beat anyone on our schedule, or in 5AD2 minus maybe Aledo. 

Carthage would beat anyone in our district, IMO. 

Now We play PAM, if we play poorly again in that one then you'll see people a little worried about this team. Especially given BH is only a couple games away. 

Understood