Bellaire Episcopal v. Vidor

piratevillain

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Vidor had a big, bald headed, DC many years ago.  They were one of the top teams around in interceptions and one kid was close to the lead statewide in interceptions.  What a genius.  Wish the Pirates had another like him because 95% of teams today live and die by the pass.  Of course I’m basing it on Silsbee, and with their basketball/ football players, they probably have some of the better receivers around.  If nothing else, basketball players can catch a pass.  There are still four more games to get the secondary clicking before District.  Let’s hope they work it out.

Ah, Coach Hatch! He was probably one of the best DC's Coach Mathews has ever had. Vidor had a few All-State mentions on defense when he was here.

57 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

Its not coming from the DC, that is from the HC!  I know the DC very well and he is being told by the HC to play man with that type of cushion. 

I'm guessing Mathews is wanting teams to beat us with the pass. I guess I can understand it, cause the rush defense held their own despite the score, they only gave up 108 yard via the ground.

23 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

I'm guessing Mathews is wanting teams to beat us with the pass. I guess I can understand it, cause the rush defense held their own despite the score, they only gave up 108 yard via the ground.

Luckily we will not have to face many more WR's like Silsbee had.  I'm sure they will make a few DB's look bad this year.

5 hours ago, Hagar said:

Vidor had a big, bald headed, DC many years ago.  They were one of the top teams around in interceptions and one kid was close to the lead statewide in interceptions.  What a genius.  Wish the Pirates had another like him because 95% of teams today live and die by the pass.  Of course I’m basing it on Silsbee, and with their basketball/ football players, they probably have some of the better receivers around.  If nothing else, basketball players can catch a pass.  There are still four more games to get the secondary clicking before District.  Let’s hope they work it out.

Coach Hatch indeed. Matt Maida seemed to have 2 or 3 - 3 pick games. At least 1 for sure. Rick Culbert also had a 3 pick game and finished the season with a significant amount.  Matt is the one you're referring too. If he didn't lead the state in picks, he was either tied for first, or missed being tied for first by 1. Want to say he finished the year with 9 or 10 picks. Crazy when you consider he's like 5'7. He did get an all state honorable mention. So did Keith Ingle at DE. That defense was stout. I want to say they finished in the 2002 4A defensive state rankings in 4th, allowing just over 160 yards per game. And that was averaged in with having 2 really atrocious games allowing near 300 if i remember correctly. I believe Coach Burks is the current DC, and he was the DL/DE coach during this time. He knows this game very well. If you had to handpick anyone to take Coach Hatch's place, it would be Coach Burks...and conveniently enough, he was already there.

16 minutes ago, TenaciousK said:

Coach Hatch indeed. Matt Maida seemed to have 2 or 3 - 3 pick games. At least 1 for sure. Rick Culbert also had a 3 pick game and finished the season with a significant amount.  Matt is the one you're referring too. If he didn't lead the state in picks, he was either tied for first, or missed being tied for first by 1. Want to say he finished the year with 9 or 10 picks. Crazy when you consider he's like 5'7. He did get an all state honorable mention. So did Keith Ingle at DE. That defense was stout. I want to say they finished in the 2002 4A defensive state rankings in 4th, allowing just over 160 yards per game. And that was averaged in with having 2 really atrocious games allowing near 300 if i remember correctly. I believe Coach Burks is the current DC, and he was the DL/DE coach during this time. He knows this game very well. If you had to handpick anyone to take Coach Hatch's place, it would be Coach Burks...and conveniently enough, he was already there.

Fletcher is DC and has been for a few years.

18 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Like I’ve many times: as long as nothing changes then nothing will change!  

I understand the HC's thinking (I think)....you live by the pass, you die by the pass.  Prime example in the Silsbee game. 4th Qtr, Vidor up by 3, Silsbee ball, 4th and 1 or 2...instead of being able to run for the 1st down, Silsbee decided to throw...incomplete pass, ball game.

1 hour ago, PirateNole984 said:

I understand the HC's thinking (I think)....you live by the pass, you die by the pass.  Prime example in the Silsbee game. 4th Qtr, Vidor up by 3, Silsbee ball, 4th and 1 or 2...instead of being able to run for the 1st down, Silsbee decided to throw...incomplete pass, ball game.

like they say, there is 3 things that can happen passing the ball, and two of those are bad.😂 

5 hours ago, TenaciousK said:

Yup, you're pretty spot on! Matt was small, but him and Rick were absolute ball hawks. Those were some fun years though.