Crosby 24 Carthage 27/FINAL

AggiesAreWe

26 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

No no, see you can’t say that then Carthage would have no excuse for their QB being under fire all night. 

No Crosby’s D line great. Carthage did lose 4/5 starters from last season but I was told that that is their starting o line for this year.

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Both coaches were coaching to win the game. Surratt was going for it on 4th down from his own 35 yardline and instead of taking the three at the end of the first half Prieto went for it on 4th and we had an open drop. There’s always going to be the question what happens if we take the FG now but the fact still remains of the Crosby receiver makes the routine play we’re probably having a different discussion

You give up a freaking kickoff return for a td at the end of the game. If the Crosby kickoff guys stay in their lanes we’re probably having a different discussion. Our qb just flat out missed, as in didn’t even see, guys behind the Carthage coverage twice. That’s not coaching. 

Maybe you can say Carthage double-teaming Casey which slowed him down, and us deciding to continue to single cover Hatten which allowed him to carry Carthage was a coaching, but again if the dbs get their heads around we probably get s couple more picks and are having a different discussion. 

Crosby’s defense outplayed Carthage’s, Carthage’s offense outplayed Crosby’s, and Carthage made one special teams play Crosby didn’t. Crosby lost the game in the third phase but all three count on the scoreboard. You take your L and try to improve. I will say it’s not disappointing to see where we’re were tonight and know we still have vast room for improvement. 

surratt rarely punts.  seen him go for it on his own 4.  lot of confidense in defense.  you guys got beat by undermanned 4a team.  face it.  

My “not worth a darn takes” from last night

let me start off by saying, what a game to start the season.  Great high school football game

1. I was really surprised at the depth(lack of) with Crosby

2. I’ve been watching Crosby football for a little over 10 years now, this is as weak as I’ve seen one position group(not going to name it) as I’ve ever seen it and it’s not even close.

3. D-line is going to be pretty good.  40 is a grown man and 5 is gonna make some plays

4. 1st game jitters plus the delay had a little effect on the sloppy start I feel.

For Carthage:

1. I don’t know why 10 didn’t get the start, but he made a huge difference at qb.

2. #5 for them has a nose for the football, something you can’t teach.  Tackling machine.

3. They had to burn a lot of TO’s and got several delay of game penalties in key spots that I’m sure they’ll clean up.

4. Obviously it is early but I’d say they have a pretty good chance of repeating.

Bonus: 13 had a game as predicted after watching him run his 1st route

9 hours ago, BHFAN said:

Goodluck I don’t think Crosby has the horses this year, but that’s why we play the game. Also it’s early who knows they could make me a believer again.

Nah, Carthage's defense is just really really good. We played 3 defenses similarly as good last year. Huntsville, Aledo, and Manvel. That defense was better than Texas high's last year. 

Been just keeping an eye on Carthage for a few years.  One thing I’ve noticed, if you’re ahead of them, or close at Halftime, you better change what you’re doing in the second half.  You always hear about “adjustments” at half, but Surratt & his Staff do it, and do it very, very well.  I’d love to know what all they did at halftime.

Carthage was a different team in the second half.  Imo, they’ve solved they’re QB question & the D is as advertised.  Crosby’s D is VERY good.  I think #20 is a very good RB, and needs the ball.  Crosby should have a great season.

What a game to start off the season.  Can’t say enough about it.  Hats off to both teams, Coaches & Staffs.

2 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

No Crosby’s D line great. Carthage did lose 4/5 starters from last season but I was told that that is their starting o line for this year.

That was the starting O-line for Last night and hopefully last night only (don't know how long they will have to sit out).  3 starters on o-line out because of Covid.  3rd string and JV kids getting carries at RB. 

2 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

No no, see you can’t say that then Carthage would have no excuse for their QB being under fire all night. 

3 starters were missing from what was the planned starting unit on the O-line.  That's not excuse, just facts.  That coupled with #40 is a BEAST and for all I know Crosby might have the best D-line Carthage plays this year.  There is any number of reasons for the Carthage QBs being under fire all night, some attributed to Crosby just being really good and some attributed to Carthage being stricken with the Covid. 

1 minute ago, HikeMoncho said:

3 starters were missing from what was the planned starting unit on the O-line.  

TBF another poster is claiming this is false so no one really knows what to believe. Also, it could be one of those "COVID chose the starter but it was a battle in camp between two guys" situation which is likely given your lone returning starter was on the field all night. It would explain the different things being told fans. 

Just now, Cougtalk said:

TBF another poster is claiming this is false so no one really knows what to believe. Also, it could be one of those "COVID chose the starter but it was a battle in camp between two guys" situation which is likely given your lone returning starter was on the field all night. It would explain the different things being told fans. 

If you are talking about the fella from Bellville, i'll let you decide who likely has better inside info on Carthage football and operations between a person from Bellville and me, Hike Moncho, from Carthage.  

I do find it fascinating that Carthage fans really holding onto this "we had players missing with COVID excuse for why they WON a game. 

Maybe after this game those boys took a starting job because they showed a lot of heart. I think that QB won his starting job for sure. even tho he didn't "start"

Just now, Cougtalk said:

I do find it fascinating that Carthage fans really holding onto this "we had players missing with COVID excuse for why they WON a game. 

Maybe after this game those boys took a starting job because they showed a lot of heart. I think that QB won his starting job for sure. 

I just got here and am only sharing facts about what was missing.  I'm impressed as hell to beat a team and school with literally 1,000 kids bigger enrollment and a program that played for the state title 2 classifications above us last year.   Missing nearly an entire starting unit while also replacing such an integral position as QB.  

The QB most definitely earned the job going forward.  I doubt the O-line did outside of one or two of them, being that Carthage had negative yards rushing and that NEVER happens.  

2 minutes ago, HikeMoncho said:

I just got here and am only sharing facts about what was missing.  I'm impressed as hell to beat a team and school with literally 1,000 kids bigger enrollment and a program that played for the state title 2 classifications above us last year.   Missing nearly an entire starting unit while also replacing such an integral position as QB.  

The QB most definitely earned the job going forward.  I doubt the O-line did outside of one or two of them, being that Carthage had negative yards rushing and that NEVER happens.  

Our Scheme is a very good run stopping scheme. I think missing your RB probably hurt a good bit but we tend to be very very good against the run (minus slot-t offenses.) We play one on one on the outside and really push teams to throw the ball. Most games last year for Crosby were sub 50 rushing against and 250+ passing against. 

Just now, Cougtalk said:

Our Scheme is a very good run stopping scheme. I think missing your RB probably hurt a good bit but we tend to be very very good against the run (minus slot-t offenses.) We play one on one on the outside and really push teams to throw the ball. Most games last year for Crosby were sub 50 rushing against and 250+ passing against. 

Again, I'm not taking anything from Crosby. To do so, really downplays the significance of Carthage beating them.  Like I said I think it was a huge accomplishment and something to be excited about.