Not the smartest local criminal

bullets13

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Let’s see, I’m a convicted felon so I’m going to drive on a public street and shoot a dog. 

He gets a two for one deal there. It is a felony to shoot the dog and then another felony for processing the firearm to begin with. 

Is that right?

I know a couple of people that still shoot dogs for showing up on their property... while it's a bad idea, I didn't realize that it was felonious.  

Nice use of that adjective, huh?

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Is that right?

I know a couple of people that still shoot dogs for showing up on their property... while it's a bad idea, I didn't realize that it was felonious.  

To be legal they have to be attacking a pet, person, or livestock.  

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Is that right?

It is a felony to kill a cat or a dog if it is not yours without the consent of the owner. If it is a wild animal (feral), it has no owner and is a felony.

As B13 stated, you can kill an animal in self-defense or if it is attacking your livestock. I believe you would have a hard time trying to say you killed a cat in self-defense. If a Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow, etc., was attacking a person,  I am sure It would justify shooting it.

So if you shoot that wild neighborhood cat sleeping on top of your car with a pellet gun and get caught and prosecuted, you could potentially do time in prison.

In my opinion and knowing Texas law.

16 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Is that right?

And just for informational purposes in reference to wild or feral cats and dogs being protected even though they have no owner and may be on your property, The law says it is unlawful to kill an animal without consent of the owner or to torture the animal. The question becomes, what is an animal?

This is a quote from the Texas Penal Code in reference to cruelty to non-livestock animals: "Animal" means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured.

“Including any stray or feral”’is significant  

4 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Are deer considered livestock

As SM said, no unless you’re raising them, probably under a permit, for food. Wild animals are not livestock.

This is the Texas Penal Code definition of livestock:

(5) "Livestock animal" means:(A) cattle, sheep, swine, goats, ratites, or poultry commonly raised for human consumption;

(B) a horse, pony, mule, donkey, or hinny;

(C) native or nonnative hoofstock raised under agriculture practices; or

(D) native or nonnative fowl commonly raised under agricultural practices.

2 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

As SM said, no unless you’re raising them, probably under a permit, for food. Wild animals are not livestock.

This is the Texas Penal Code definition of livestock:

(5) "Livestock animal" means:(A) cattle, sheep, swine, goats, ratites, or poultry commonly raised for human consumption;

(B) a horse, pony, mule, donkey, or hinny;

(C) native or nonnative hoofstock raised under agriculture practices; or

(D) native or nonnative fowl commonly raised under agricultural practices.

Good info

im pretty much surrounded by deer lease and some of the hunters in the past have talked about shooting dogs....

I have 3 Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mixes....during deer season I keep them fenced in but every so often they get out

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Good info

im pretty much surrounded by deer lease and some of the hunters in the past have talked about shooting dogs....

I have 3 Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mixes....during deer season I keep them fenced in but every so often they get out

Unfortunately some hunters will definitely shoot dogs that come out in their lanes during deer season.  

Saw on the News last week some yahoo dropping off an Alaskan Husky in a desolate area.  Beautiful dog that chased the SUV down the road as they were leaving.  Not sure how anyone could do that.  Someone else filmed it and the Law is after them now.

On a plus note, a family adopted the dog.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Saw on the News last week some yahoo dropping off an Alaskan Husky in a desolate area.  Beautiful dog that chased the SUV down the road as they were leaving.  Not sure how anyone could do that.  Someone else filmed it and the Law is after them now.

On a plus note, a family adopted the dog.

I see it all the time on my road

somebody dropped of kittens that were maybe 2 days old....we took them and bottle fed them....they are 6 years old now. And they kill plenty of mice, snakes and cardinals.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

Good info

I have dogs on my lease all the time.  I don’t like them there, but I wouldn’t shoot one unless it was growling at me on my way to the stand or something.