So it begins....??

6 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

At 17, I was not afraid of anything, thought I was smartest person in any room I entered........

It wasn't until I was older I realized I was wrong....

I understand. At that age I was never afraid of money. 

Guest mrtomcat
7 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I'm assuming that he has already done what he needed to in order to graduate from high school. I haven't read anything about that...

A kid from Southlake, with a 7 figure daddy, you know he's got enough HS credits by the time he's a soph.   Just going thru the motions or getting College credits his entire JR and Sr year any how.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Unless you're a SLC fan, how is this a bad thing? A 17 year old has seven figures sitting in from of him, to some families that is life changing. For the player, he gets some money up front. What if he tears his achilles next Spring and end up getting beat out by another 5 star and never plays, meaning he never hits the league and earns the money some are saying he should wait on? 

For Ohio State it's definitely a win. Your prize recruit doesn't have to risk injury his senior year and you get a head start working with him. Everybody is always for capitalism until it starts to delve into areas that they don't like. As of right now NIL is the most fair way to compensate the employees who are bringing in hundreds of millions into some of these companies. 

Football isn’t the only way to make money in this world.

Unless you're a SLC fan, how is this a bad thing? A 17 year old has seven figures sitting in from of him, to some families that is life changing. For the player, he gets some money up front. What if he tears his achilles next Spring and end up getting beat out by another 5 star and never plays, meaning he never hits the league and earns the money some are saying he should wait on? 

For Ohio State it's definitely a win. Your prize recruit doesn't have to risk injury his senior year and you get a head start working with him. Everybody is always for capitalism until it starts to delve into areas that they don't like. As of right now NIL is the most fair way to compensate the employees who are bringing in hundreds of millions into some of these companies. 

Edited by yepyep
Double post

Edited by yepyep
Triple post

Edited by yepyep
Quadruple post

From his statement

"It's unfortunate I've found myself in this situation........"- Having to pick between playing college ball while making money or stay in high school and probably play for a state title is not unfortunate lmao.

"....as my preference would have been to complete my senior season at Southlake Carroll....." Ok then, stay. No one is making you leave.

I find the post disingenuous. Maybe I'm off on that.

The game will change as we know it.  May end up with 3 power conferences in the country and the heck with the rest. You could see alot of smaller school start dropping athletics all together and the NCAA could just go away. I hope I am wrong on this. I love the game and always will.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, aledoalumni said:

From his statement

"It's unfortunate I've found myself in this situation........"- Having to pick between playing college ball while making money or stay in high school and probably play for a state title is not unfortunate lmao.

"....as my preference would have been to complete my senior season at Southlake Carroll....." Ok then, stay. No one is making you leave.

I think when he says it's "unfortunate" he's alluding to the Texas high school NIL rules that would negate his eligibility which is his whole reason for leaving. Not unfortunate that he's going to either make money or compete for a state title. I think he's being honest that he would've preferred to stay but is being forced to make the smarter decision by taking the money instead.

I always revert back to "What if they find out down the road he can't play?".  He would've missed out on a huge payday for another semester of high school memories he probably already has plenty of. 

On 8/4/2021 at 4:35 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think when he says it's "unfortunate" he's alluding to the Texas high school NIL rules that would negate his eligibility which is his whole reason for leaving. Not unfortunate that he's going to either make money or compete for a state title. I think he's being honest that he would've preferred to stay but is being forced to make the smarter decision by taking the money instead.

I always revert back to "What if they find out down the road he can't play?".  He would've missed out on a huge payday for another semester of high school memories he probably already has plenty of. 

I would think the answer to that question would be if he can't play the NIL stuff would be moot.  If he ends up being a backup or third string player (unlikely)  I doubt he would be getting much NIL money.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, aledoalumni said:

From his statement

Nothing like playing the victim card when you sign for a Million dollars plus payday as an 18 year old. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, Bigdog said:

I would think the answer to that question would be if he can't play the NIL stuff would be moot.  If he ends up being a backup or third string player (unlikely)  I doubt he would be getting much NIL money.

True, but the whole issue here is that they’re going to give it to him now just based on the hype. Meaning he can cash in before they know he can’t play. Same with Bryce Young at Alabama this year. He’s the starter for now but may get beaten out down the road. Doesn’t matter though, he’s already signed nearly $1M in NIL deals. 

This is the hidden content, please

I can see a bunch of big time recruits like Ewers reclassifying down the road to take advantage of financial opportunities. I know if I was one of these players’ “agent” I would want him to. Offers may not be there if the kid tears his ACL his senior year. Probably see more kids sitting out like Jaydon Blue did this year too, have to protect near future earning potential. 

17 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

True, but the whole issue here is that they’re going to give it to him now just based on the hype. Meaning he can cash in before they know he can’t play. Same with Bryce Young at Alabama this year. He’s the starter for now but may get beaten out down the road. Doesn’t matter though, he’s already signed nearly $1M in NIL deals. 

This is the hidden content, please

I can see a bunch of big time recruits like Ewers reclassifying down the road to take advantage of financial opportunities. I know if I was one of these players’ “agent” I would want him to. Offers may not be there if the kid tears his ACL his senior year. Probably see more kids sitting out like Jaydon Blue did this year too, have to protect near future earning potential. 

You see the same thing with some rookie NFL, NBA players signing big deals on hype alone.  I would think there would be clauses in the contract that would reduce the payout or end the contract in the case of lack of playing time due to losing a starting job or just washing out completely .    Maybe not for injury though unless it was a career-ending injury.  If not, then that is the companies fault for not protecting themselves.

42 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

You see the same thing with some rookie NFL, NBA players signing big deals on hype alone.  I would think there would be clauses in the contract that would reduce the payout or end the contract in the case of lack of playing time due to losing a starting job or just washing out completely .    Maybe not for injury though unless it was a career-ending injury.  If not, then that is the companies fault for not protecting themselves.

It would be interesting to know how much money has been spent on athletes that don’t perform as anticipated. Johnny Manzel comes to mind. 

• 3 weeks later...