So it begins....??

Yahoo Exclusive: No. 1 overall recruit Quinn Ewers tells @yahoosports he’s “leaning” toward skipping senior HS year and attending Ohio State. Ewers could then sign NIL deals worth nearly seven figures, which aren’t allowed in Texas for high school players.

This is the hidden content, please

I understand the capitalist mentality. I also know tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. 

IMO, the money will be there when he is. Don't take it now. Growing up happens too fast.

I have more questions. Can a 18yo prosper in college with all that money? How will Saban react when his prized Heisman contender decides to stay home for the spring semester? Will there be any incentive to move on to the league?

Or is this just a guaranteed lottery ticket, scratch at you're own risk. Imagine Johnnie Football playing for A&M with a couple million in the bank.

20 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I understand the capitalist mentality. I also know tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. 

IMO, the money will be there when he is. Don't take it now. Growing up happens too fast.

I have more questions. Can a 18yo prosper in college with all that money? How will Saban react when his prized Heisman contender decides to stay home for the spring semester? Will there be any incentive to move on to the league?

Or is this just a guaranteed lottery ticket, scratch at you're own risk. Imagine Johnnie Football playing for A&M with a couple million in the bank.

Funny thing, they're still not getting any of that TV money.  Part of why OU and TU are moving to the SEC is Disney(ESPN) paid 300 million just for that 230 Saturday SEC game.  So, in the short term, OU.TU have to pay 78 million each to the remaining big 12 members.  Long term, SEC member schools can make 40 million per year and that number will grow with the increase in TV money.  Only when the players get that TV money is when the labor/talent will truly have just compensation.  NIL is just a distraction while the Power 5 schools still collect that TV money and make millionares out of strength coaches

Unless you're a SLC fan, how is this a bad thing? A 17 year old has seven figures sitting in from of him, to some families that is life changing. For the player, he gets some money up front. What if he tears his achilles next Spring and end up getting beat out by another 5 star and never plays, meaning he never hits the league and earns the money some are saying he should wait on? 

For Ohio State it's definitely a win. Your prize recruit doesn't have to risk injury his senior year and you get a head start working with him. Everybody is always for capitalism until it starts to delve into areas that they don't like. As of right now NIL is the most fair way to compensate the employees who are bringing in hundreds of millions into some of these companies. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Unless you're a SLC fan, how is this a bad thing? A 17 year old has seven figures sitting in from of him, to some families that is life changing. For the player, he gets some money up front. What if he tears his achilles next Spring and end up getting beat out by another 5 star and never plays, meaning he never hits the league and earns the money some are saying he should wait on? 

For Ohio State it's definitely a win. Your prize recruit doesn't have to risk injury his senior year and you get a head start working with him. Everybody is always for capitalism until it starts to delve into areas that they don't like. As of right now NIL is the most fair way to compensate the employees who are bringing in hundreds of millions into some of these companies. 

It could go really well, or it could go really bad.......

I work at a bank, and TRUST ME when I say people that get money unearned become stupid.  I have watched people inherit $100K and in 6 months can't afford the insurance to the BMW they purchased. At 17, I guarantee you his financial goals are not in long term investments...... 

54 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

I work at a bank, and TRUST ME when I say people that get money unearned become stupid.  I have watched people inherit $100K and in 6 months can't afford the insurance to the BMW they purchased. At 17, I guarantee you his financial goals are not in long term investments...... 

That's not the case with Ewers though. He's earned everything that's being awarded him right now by working his butt off the become the #1 recruit in the country. I agree it's stupid to buy a BMW after only inheriting $100k and paying the inheritance tax. That's probably somebody that never had anything though. 

True, Ewers may pull a Manziel and just go off the deep end but already being from Southlake I doubt his support team is going to allow him to make bad decisions(Yes, I know JF came from money too). I think if you give kids an appetizer(NIL money) it sturdies the focus on the main course which would be graduation/good job or the League. 

Players often make bad decisions in school because they're broke. I had a teammate in college that broke into the convenience store in the dorms so he could get something to eat. This is after he sent most of his Pell grant money home so his mom could keep the lights on. He ended up going to jail for 5 days and being suspended for the season opener. Couple grand on an NIL deal from Daktronics probably would've prevented that situation and saved his record. 

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That's not the case with Ewers though. He's earned everything that's being awarded him right now by working his butt off the become the #1 recruit in the country. I agree it's stupid to buy a BMW after only inheriting $100k and paying the inheritance tax. That's probably somebody that never had anything though. 

True, Ewers may pull a Manziel and just go off the deep end but already being from Southlake I doubt his support team is going to allow him to make bad decisions(Yes, I know JF came from money too). I think if you give kids an appetizer(NIL money) it sturdies the focus on the main course which would be graduation/good job or the League. 

Players often make bad decisions in school because they're broke. I had a teammate in college that broke into the convenience store in the dorms so he could get something to eat. This is after he sent most of his Pell grant money home so his mom could keep the lights on. He ended up going to jail for 5 days and being suspended for the season opener. Couple grand on an NIL deal from Daktronics probably would've prevented that situation and saved his record. 

I sure hope your right. 

10 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Very true, but being from Southlake I’m sure his family is already very well off. I bet he’d be ok with the $

im against it. we all have seen when YOUNG ADULTS at 21 get money and get into trouble, at 17/18??nope....if i had a HS football star, he would be playing like everyone else his senior year. thats quitting on your TEAM for money. that imo is selfish at this level. when you get into college and establish yourself as a legit player, THEN you can get that lil change they giving out.

47 minutes ago, pakronos said:

im against it. we all have seen when YOUNG ADULTS at 21 get money and get into trouble, at 17/18??nope....if i had a HS football star, he would be playing like everyone else his senior year. thats quitting on your TEAM for money. that imo is selfish at this level. when you get into college and establish yourself as a legit player, THEN you can get that lil change they giving out.

You afraid of money at that age? (Minus the parental guidance)

I will never, ever understand working people siding with management/institutions.  NIL is nice but that real money is still going to coaches and conferences.  I'll get excited when Nick Saban and nem get paid with education like they wanna keep the labor(students) or the whole system crashes