Cleveland Guardians

What, no thread on our latest surrender to Wokeism?  At first glance (sound?) Guardians seems ridiculous.  Even at second glance.  But wait, there’s at least a reason they came up with it.  Appears Cleveland has four Guardian statues.  Makes a little more sense.  Not a lot more, but a tinny little bit.

This is the hidden content, please

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

What, no thread on our latest surrender to Wokeism?  At first glance (sound?) Guardians seems ridiculous.  Even at second glance.  But wait, there’s at least a reason they came up with it.  Appears Cleveland has four Guardian statues.  Makes a little more sense.  Not a lot more, but a tinny little bit.

This is the hidden content, please

These sports teams changing their names lost me when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays had to drop the term “Devil”. Not sure, but that may have been the first one changed because it “offended” someone.

Baseball is steeped in tradition.  The appeal of baseball is that it is unchanged and a constant throughout generations.  It is great memories of our dads teaching us to play and throwing in the backyard.  The Cleveland Indians are a historic organization and this just stinks.  In 53 years I have never once thought about the name being offensive.  I think of Major League, Jim Thome and the playoff series where the bugs swarmed the field, and lots of good memories.  Keep on driving the divisive wedge and maybe next we can go after:

1) Mariners (they kill poor defensive sea creatures),

2) Brewers (drunk driving kills),

3) A’s (Being athletic is exclusionary),

4) Padres (Separation of church and MLB),

5) Rangers (They killed Indians),

6) Yankees (Some northern owned slaves)

and on and on and on and on……if you want to be offended nowadays jump on a platform.  Ridiculous!!!!!!!

Ironically, the man with the most right to be offended over this situation was Louis Sockalexis, one of the first American Indians to play major league baseball, who played for Cleveland. The team first dawned the American Indian mascot in honor of him.

Wonder what he'd have to say about this situation.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, PN-G bamatex said:

Ironically, the man with the most right to be offended over this situation was Louis Sockalexis, one of the first American Indians to play major league baseball, who played for Cleveland. The team first dawned the American Indian mascot in honor of him.

Wonder what he'd have to say about this situation.

Interesting story.  I had no idea.  

I was a big fan of Rocky Calivito.  That was a long time ago 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 8:57 PM, baddog said:

These sports teams changing their names lost me when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays had to drop the term “Devil”. Not sure, but that may have been the first one changed because it “offended” someone.

I was thinking it may have been the Washington Bullets changing to the Wizards, due to the cesspool that was D.C.  This came during the leadership of Marion Berry, a great Dim mayor.  He was to busy smoking crack and pandering with hookers.  A Dim, nonetheless.