Top 10 best coaches in Setx??

Guest mrtomcat
5 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

If Barrett was in Southeast  Texas no doubt he would be a top 5 coach that guy is special. 

He is in southeast Texas?  What do you mean by that?

1 hour ago, mrtomcat said:

I didn't mention Boutte?  Excuse me for leaving him out of the setx hall of fame coaches.  Joubert nor Sutherland has had to coach basketball at schools that dont have talent.  I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do, but lets see if they can win at warren or bridge city, or high island.....and no, dont tell me they'd turn those programs around.  a) those schools can't afford them so its a mute point.  The point I made in my post was, their real ability to coach, is determined by the schools tradition to win, by putting athletes on the court every year.  Look at kountze lately?  Can't win or advance past the regional due to lack of talent.  It's not Jouberts fault.  He's doing the best he can, with what he has.  Now maybe you understand that argument a little better.

I think Warren is a perfect example of the difference a great coach can make. The program in Warren was , let’s just say, not very good until they hired Leland Hand somewhere around 2005. He hired Chris Carter as an assistant who later replaced him. The program was very respectable for the next several years while playing in one of the toughest districts in the state. Do I think Sutherland and Joubert would be successful at Warren? Yes I do. They wouldn’t make state tournament appearances but they would put winning teams on the floor. 

59 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think Warren is a perfect example of the difference a great coach can make. The program in Warren was , let’s just say, not very good until they hired Leland Hand somewhere around 2005. He hired Chris Carter as an assistant who later replaced him. The program was very respectable for the next several years while playing in one of the toughest districts in the state. Do I think Sutherland and Joubert would be successful at Warren? Yes I do. They wouldn’t make state tournament appearances but they would put winning teams on the floor. 

I was about to mention Hand and Carter as well…

On 7/25/2021 at 8:17 PM, no-look said:

Also an interesting tidbit about his first year at Jasper, he cut a 6’10” and a 6’ 7” along with a few others, took what was left and won the district. Not saying he’s the best but definitely needs to be in the discussion. 

Absolutely, Clay is the Man!  Yes, at Jasper I don't know if he cut those returning starter players; or they left rather than meet his tough standards.  And yes, he still won the district!  I grieved when he left Jasper.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:37 PM, lsutigers20230 said:

They are in Houston area, not really a southeast texas/golden triangle/hardin county team. 

Well, when it comes to listing coaches, teams, players on this website, those guys are included.

Huffman has been in our coverage area for many many years. They are Southeast Texas.

Now, you want to say Golden Triangle, 8 County (Jefferson, Hardin, Orange, Chambers, Liberty, Jasper, Newton, Tyler) then say so.

23 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Well, when it comes to listing coaches, teams, players on this website, those guys are included.

Huffman has been in our coverage area for many many years. They are Southeast Texas.

Now, you want to say Golden Triangle, 8 County (Jefferson, Hardin, Orange, Chambers, Liberty, Jasper, Newton, Tyler) then say so.

Let’s ask @Indians4life 

are the teams in Wb district covered?

Guest mrtomcat
6 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Though you cover.....they are not setx.

what makes a team southeast texas?  geography says you are southeast texas ---- according to this map from the noaa

disaster-counties-map.gif

2 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

what makes a team southeast texas?  geography says you are southeast texas ---- according to this map from the noaa

disaster-counties-map.gif

Well I was wrong according to noaa.

thanks for the knowledge.

I guess everybody needs to rethink their list.

but I will say you ask any joe blow in this area they would consider Newton Tyler Hardin jasper orange Jefferson chambers and liberty as setx.......a large percentage of the time.

maybe change the title to deep setx.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, mrtomcat said:

I hate this discussion with a passion.  It's so difficult to judge a coach or the greatness of his performance.

Take for instance.....Sutherland - He's great in a lot of folks eyes, but has he WON somewhere that doesn't have basketball kids? No!

He even lost to a Hardin team full of 4.9 kids who can't grab the rim.

Does Joubert win at Kountze when the talent is down? - The answer is no.   

Why?  Because the kids are 90% of the recipe.  It's all about where you're coaching and what district you're competing against.

I said all that to say this.....Sutherland, Joubert, Davis, Sigler, Green, English are probably the best SETX has to offer but its the kids in their program that speak for them much more than they can speak for themselves.  

A great coach for me will always be a guy that can win with garbage.  There is no other way to measure greatness.

Actually Joubert has had some success with not that good of players. 3 or 4 years ago he had a team go 2-3 rounds deep with little talent 

21 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

Actually Joubert has had some success with not that good of players. 3 or 4 years ago he had a team go 2-3 rounds deep with little talent 

Gotta respect Joub. He has had some players that had some discipline issues. He played with with the ones he had left. Given equal talent there’s no doubt he’s a top 10 guy

On 7/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, lsutigers20230 said:

Lol that’s what it looks like, Sig should be top 4, I would take DJ and Williams out. Jeffcoat and Mitchell better than those 2 coaches in my opinion. Joubert is top 10 also, dude does have a ring. 

As most know I am a Big Wilson fan but he did make me made by stepping down to be an assistant from my beloved Mustangs.  He's too new to Coaching to be a top 10 but I would list as an up and coming coach to watch.  Two years as a head coach and two trips to the playoffs.  Already has playoff wins but more importantly what he does for the kids are unmatched.

Jeffcoat is another Orange County guy that seems to start every season will but fall off.  My Mustangs with Wilson at the helm and my nephew on the court beat the Bears twice this past season.  Great Coaches are going to make adjustments and I don't see Jeffcoat ever making adjustments.  I also think it's hard to rank guys on the top 10 until their a head coach for at least 15 years or more.  So the safe rankings 1. Boutte, 2. Green, 3. Sutherland 4. Sigler 5. Davis they all have the body of work in our area.  The rest are rising stars would be a list for someone to start.

We are blessed to have some great coaches in this area.  Not good but GREAT.  Obviously the two Beaumont guys are legends and Hall of Famers.  So is Sutherland.  I suspect Sigler will be as well.   And most of those listed in this thread are very good as well.  But if you are a basketball guy and don’t have Foster near the top of your list, you just haven’t seen BS play (much or at all).  He’s as good as there is.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

We are blessed to have some great coaches in this area.  Not good but GREAT.  Obviously the two Beaumont guys are legends and Hall of Famers.  So is Sutherland.  I suspect Sigler will be as well.   And most of those listed in this thread are very good as well.  But if you are a basketball guy and don’t have Foster near the top of your list, you just haven’t seen BS play (much or at all).  He’s as good as there is.  

Finally we agree on something. I also have English right up there as well 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, whsalum said:

Finally we agree on something. I also have English right up there as well 

Brian is definitely way up there.  Some on here will downplay his greatness but most acknowledge how good he is.  And I will say, like Foster mentioned above, I can verify first hand that he is always willing to help a kid out, even if it’s not one of his own kids or students.   You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat people when it doesn’t personally benefit them.   Both are incredible human beings off the court.  

That was exhausting to read.  There are some obvious folks that would end up on the list due to (championships, winning %, 20/25 win years, etc.) no matter the reasons someone could come up with.  Athletes, schedule, whatever.. Yeah Sutherland, Joubert, and all those names would be there.  People can argue back and forth to no end but honestly, we’ll never know what would’ve happened if they were somewhere else or if someone was in their spot.  Who knows. Speculate away.

It’s simple for me.  If I’m handpicking a team and head coach, it’ll be Kevin Foster. Simply because I’ve seen him coach different types of teams with different styles that fit his team and/or competition.  I’m impressed.  Half court, full court, fast, slow, man, zone, junks, hybrids, motion offenses, sets, methodical inbound plays, etc.. He’s not in the least one dimensional and does it consistently successfully.  Plus, his players show up in a shirt/tie and don’t make a sound on or off the floor.  At least that’s what I noticed the times that I saw them.

Top 10 makes no difference to me.  In SeTx, I’d go with Foster as my current coach. 

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That was exhausting to read.  There are some obvious folks that would end up on the list due to (championships, winning %, 20/25 win years, etc.) no matter the reasons someone could come up with.  Athletes, schedule, whatever.. Yeah Sutherland, Joubert, and all those names would be there.  People can argue back and forth to no end but honestly, we’ll never know what would’ve happened if they were somewhere else or if someone was in their spot.  Who knows. Speculate away.

It’s simple for me.  If I’m handpicking a team and head coach, it’ll be Kevin Foster. Simply because I’ve seen him coach different types of teams with different styles that fit his team and/or competition.  I’m impressed.  Half court, full court, fast, slow, man, zone, junks, hybrids, motion offenses, sets, methodical inbound plays, etc.. He’s not in the least one dimensional and does it consistently successfully.  Plus, his players show up in a shirt/tie and don’t make a sound on or off the floor.  At least that’s what I noticed the times that I saw them.

Top 10 makes no difference to me.  In SeTx, I’d go with Foster as my current coach. 

Yea Foster and Sigler are my main guys. 

42 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Perfectly stated.

Foster is dang good but I think some don’t give Mitchell the credit with what he’s done at Lumberton. Lumberton was an easy win for a long dang time and I saw his guys play at Silsbee this year and those players flew around and flat out got after it, he’s actually built a program from the bottom up and you don’t see many coaches doing that these days so I think he’s a upcoming great coach who will get to pick a big job when he’s ready but maybe he just stays in Lumberton since he’s alumni. Also, McDonald from ofield is another good one I like to watch!!