Top 10 best coaches in Setx??

52 minutes ago, The Dragon said:

I feel like making the playoffs four times ever is the opposite of impressive.  How long has Mitchell been there?  What is his overall record?  Where are the big, marquee wins?  I think he's a good coach, but I just don't see him as a top 10 guy in the area.  Maybe that is more of a reflection on how many good coaches there are.

1st Tier:  David Green, Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutte

2nd Tier:  Brian English, Scott Barrett, Kevin Foster

3rd Tier:  Clay Davis, Travis Williams, Chris Pennington, Brian Whitmire, DJ Wilson

Is Joe Sigler Tier 4 😳

10 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

Won 21 games this year lost in 1st round, won 20 games year before lost in 2nd round, 23 games year before lost in 2nd round,  25 games the year before lost in 3rd round, won 18 games year before and lost in 2nd round, won 20 games then lost in 2nd round. He’s good but I think program hasn’t made strides under him. Stayed pretty stagnant 

The problem with max preps is not every game gets posted.  Actual records of HJ under Davis: 

14-15:  28-8
15-16:  26-9
16-17:  24-14
17-18:  31-10
18-19:  28-10
19-20:  27-12
20-21:  20-6 (no tournaments)

district record during that span:  65-11 (includes 4 district champ/co-champ and 3 district runner ups)

30 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

The problem with max preps is not every game gets posted.  Actual records of HJ under Davis: 

14-15:  28-8
15-16:  26-9
16-17:  24-14
17-18:  31-10
18-19:  28-10
19-20:  27-12
20-21:  20-6 (no tournaments)

district record during that span:  65-11 (includes 4 district champ/co-champ and 3 district runner ups)

No doubt maxpreps isn’t accurate, he’s a top 10 coach I just think with some of the talent he’s  had he should have been more than 3 rounds deep that’s all. This year he had a group who was state caliber.

9 hours ago, The Dragon said:

I feel like making the playoffs four times ever is the opposite of impressive.  How long has Mitchell been there?  What is his overall record?  Where are the big, marquee wins?  I think he's a good coach, but I just don't see him as a top 10 guy in the area.  Maybe that is more of a reflection on how many good coaches there are.

1st Tier:  David Green, Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutte

2nd Tier:  Brian English, Scott Barrett, Kevin Foster

3rd Tier:  Clay Davis, Travis Williams, Chris Pennington, Brian Whitmire, DJ Wilson

No Joe Sigler???

Any list of top area coaches that doesn't include Sigler is bogus.

1 hour ago, lsutigers20230 said:

No doubt maxpreps isn’t accurate, he’s a top 10 coach I just think with some of the talent he’s  had he should have been more than 3 rounds deep that’s all. This year he had a group who was state caliber.

I don’t disagree with the fact that this year was the year that they had a shot at state.  Silsbee and Yates were both way down, and it was probably the most talented team he’s had at HJ.  Had they made it through that first game and got some guys healthy, and through the suspension of their best player, they had a chance to make a deep run.  But as for the three rounds deep comment, until this year there was exactly one local team with the talent to make it past the third round since 2015, and it wasn’t HJ.  I don’t care how good of a coach someone is, they’re not taking a couple of D3 guys and a bunch of roll players and beating teams from houston full of 6’5” to 6’9” guys with D1 talent (or Silsbee with its three D1 players).    There comes a point where coaching ability can’t make up a gap in talent and athleticism.  I remember going and watching HJ play Houston Sterling in the 2nd round in 2015.  HJ had a good team that year, but Sterling had 9 guys on their roster over 6’2, and had four starters between 6’4” and 6’7”.  HJ played a fantastic game and lost by 11.  Sterling made it to the state finals.  Those are the kinds of teams HJ has consistently faced in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  Coach K isn’t winning those matchups.  Look what happened with lumberton this year.  Had a D1 player and some other solid guys around him and got ran out of the gym by Huffman because they just couldn’t compete with the talent.  Or is the Huffman coach just that much better?  And this year’s huffman team would’ve gotten run out of the gym by the Yates and Silsbee teams from a few years ago that Davis couldn’t get past.  

13 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I don’t disagree with the fact that this year was the year that they had a shot at state.  Silsbee and Yates were both way down, and it was probably the most talented team he’s had at HJ.  Had they made it through that first game and got some guys healthy, and through the suspension of their best player, they had a chance to make a deep run.  But as for the three rounds deep comment, until this year there was exactly one local team with the talent to make it past the third round since 2015, and it wasn’t HJ.  I don’t care how good of a coach someone is, they’re not taking a couple of D3 guys and a bunch of roll players and beating teams from houston full of 6’5” to 6’9” guys with D1 talent (or Silsbee with its three D1 players).    There comes a point where coaching ability can’t make up a gap in talent and athleticism.  Look what happened with lumberton this year.  Had a D1 player and some other solid guys around him and got ran out of the gym by Huffman because they just couldn’t compete with the talent.  Or is the Huffman coach just that much better?  And this year’s huffman team would’ve gotten run out of the gym by the Yates and Silsbee teams from a few years ago that Davis couldn’t get past.  

I see what you are saying, I heard Lumberton shot less than 25 percent in the Huffman game that just seems like a bad shooting game and that happens in basketball but I understand what you are saying, this year Huffman team was pretty good I think that for up lost like A total of 10 games in 3 years and Huffman got hot this year. They had prob the best pure pg in class 4A. I said he’s a top 10 coach I just think they have underachieved little hit that’s all I’m saying. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I don’t disagree with the fact that this year was the year that they had a shot at state.  Silsbee and Yates were both way down, and it was probably the most talented team he’s had at HJ.  Had they made it through that first game and got some guys healthy, and through the suspension of their best player, they had a chance to make a deep run.  But as for the three rounds deep comment, until this year there was exactly one local team with the talent to make it past the third round since 2015, and it wasn’t HJ.  I don’t care how good of a coach someone is, they’re not taking a couple of D3 guys and a bunch of roll players and beating teams from houston full of 6’5” to 6’9” guys with D1 talent (or Silsbee with its three D1 players).    There comes a point where coaching ability can’t make up a gap in talent and athleticism.  I remember going and watching HJ play Houston Sterling in the 2nd round in 2015.  HJ had a good team that year, but Sterling had 9 guys on their roster over 6’2, and had four starters between 6’4” and 6’7”.  HJ played a fantastic game and lost by 11.  Sterling made it to the state finals.  Those are the kinds of teams HJ has consistently faced in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  Coach K isn’t winning those matchups.  Look what happened with lumberton this year.  Had a D1 player and some other solid guys around him and got ran out of the gym by Huffman because they just couldn’t compete with the talent.  Or is the Huffman coach just that much better?  And this year’s huffman team would’ve gotten run out of the gym by the Yates and Silsbee teams from a few years ago that Davis couldn’t get past.  

I'd say Lumberton was far more talented than Huffman.  A bunch of 6'4 plus kids led by a Lamar signee and they got absolutely run out of the gym by a Huffman club who only played basically five kids and were led by a 5'9 D3 kid.  I'd say that is coaching, but lots of people were outcoached by Huffman this year.

4 minutes ago, The Dragon said:

I'd say Lumberton was far more talented than Huffman.  A bunch of 6'4 plus kids led by a Lamar signee and they got absolutely run out of the gym by a Huffman club who only played basically five kids and were led by a 5'9 D3 kid.  I'd say that is coaching, but lots of people were outcoached by Huffman this year.

Height doesn’t  always equal wins.

This topic is so hard for me cause there is so many variables/factors etc etc

we have coaches who would rather win at all cost than give consequences for players actions on or off the court

we have coaches who may not always win but are great role models and teach players life lessons

we have coaches who always seem to have talent so it makes winning a lil easier

we have coaches who have turned programs around

so on and so forth

and all that mentioned....it can be interchangeable.

as far as a list based just on wins/losses, consistency, playoff runs, SCs.

Tier 1: Boutte, Sigler

Tier 2a: Sutherland, Green

Tier 2b: Foster, English, Joubert

Tier 3:  Davis, Mitchell, 

last year Boutte, Sigler, and Foster further impressed me.

English is hands down the best at bringing a program out of the grave.

(as far as barrett at Huffman....Other than last year I don’t know enough to put him in a spot)

given all that if coaches are not teaching life lessons in character...wins and dc s and sc s are just for selfishness to further one s career.

When I was at WB under Simon he wasn’t that good at the Xs and Os and we butted heads when it came to personnel but he was a great role model for his players and took the time to pray with them and for them, teach them character and life lessons on how to mature and make solid choices.

I respect him greatly for that.

to me there is more to coaching than just wins.

1 hour ago, The Dragon said:

Hold up Huffman had 2 all-state players Lumberton had 1. Also, I have read on here Lumberton wasn’t even to pick to make the playoffs last year by tabc. They lost like everyone but the d1 signeee so that was a new group of kids on varsity for Lumberton. Huffman was rank in the top 15 all year with a team that won 30 games. 

4 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

This topic is so hard for me cause there is so many variables/factors etc etc

we have coaches who would rather win at all cost than give consequences for players actions on or off the court

we have coaches who may not always win but are great role models and teach players life lessons

we have coaches who always seem to have talent so it makes winning a lil easier

we have coaches who have turned programs around

so on and so forth

and all that mentioned....it can be interchangeable.

as far as a list based just on wins/losses, consistency, playoff runs, SCs.

Tier 1: Boutte, Sigler

Tier 2a: Sutherland, Green

Tier 2b: Foster, English, Joubert

Tier 3:  Davis, Mitchell, 

last year Boutte, Sigler, and Foster further impressed me.

English is hands down the best at bringing a program out of the grave.

(as far as barrett at Huffman....Other than last year I don’t know enough to put him in a spot)

given all that if coaches are not teaching life lessons in character...wins and dc s and sc s are just for selfishness to further one s career.

When I was at WB under Simon he wasn’t that good at the Xs and Os and we butted heads when it came to personnel but he was a great role model for his players and took the time to pray with them and for them, teach them character and life lessons on how to mature and make solid choices.

I respect him greatly for that.

to me there is more to coaching than just wins.

If Barrett was in Southeast  Texas no doubt he would be a top 5 coach that guy is special. 

9 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

Hold up Huffman had 2 all-state players Lumberton had 1. Also, I have read on here Lumberton wasn’t even to pick to make the playoffs last year by tabc. They lost like everyone but the d1 signeee so that was a new group of kids on varsity for Lumberton. Huffman was rank in the top 15 all year with a team that won 30 games. 

Very true.

mitchell should get credit for turning that program around as well.

Lumberton in the past was never known for basketball.

2 hours ago, The Dragon said:

I gotta disagree with this one. After you get past each team’s best player Lumberton wasn’t even close to Huffman talent wise. Huffman wins that match up every time. 

5 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

The Hawks are probably kicking themselves for not making a state appearance this past year. Talent wise they matched up great with Huffman. 

Guest mrtomcat
On 7/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, JayBilas said:

So have you heard of a Coach by the name of Andre Boutte? Has more state titles than anyone on your list and TWICE as many state tournament appearances than many on your list of "best SETX has to offer". And to criticize Joubert by saying all he wins with is talent, is quite possibly the dumbest statement on this thread.  I think you should re-think your statement.

I didn't mention Boutte?  Excuse me for leaving him out of the setx hall of fame coaches.  Joubert nor Sutherland has had to coach basketball at schools that dont have talent.  I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do, but lets see if they can win at warren or bridge city, or high island.....and no, dont tell me they'd turn those programs around.  a) those schools can't afford them so its a mute point.  The point I made in my post was, their real ability to coach, is determined by the schools tradition to win, by putting athletes on the court every year.  Look at kountze lately?  Can't win or advance past the regional due to lack of talent.  It's not Jouberts fault.  He's doing the best he can, with what he has.  Now maybe you understand that argument a little better.