Top 10 best coaches in Setx??

1 hour ago, lsutigers20230 said:

HJ gets a lot of move-ins also, College level meaning any level. 

A lot of those “any level” players are kids that don’t even look like they could dominate a middle school game.  It’s impressive what they’ve done with those guys.  

On 7/23/2021 at 8:13 PM, no-look said:

You got to mention Clay Davis in the discussion. 20+ wins in last 5-6 seasons at HJ. Won at Jasper and Tatum. 

Admittedly a biased post here, as Clay coached me when I was a kid, and I’ve always liked him.  I did a little research, and talked to some HJ folks as well.  As best I can tell, Tatum won about 7 games in two years before Davis got there, then won 19 his first year, 26 his second.  Two district titles in his two years there, and a regional tourney appearance.  Took over Jasper and won the district his first year, and took them to the regional quarters.  Missed the playoffs the next year, which was the year he was dealing with some family stuff that led to him coming back to HJ as an assistant.  I believe his playoff runs at those schools were the deepest both schools had ever gone at the time.  HJ hasn’t gone as far under Davis as they did under Sutherland in the playoffs, but they’ve lost in the playoffs to Sterling, Navasota, Yates x 3, and Silsbee.  Every one of those teams went to state or the regional finals.  He took over basically right at the time that houston all of a sudden had 4A AAU teams, and Silsbee was able to play 3 D-1 players at once.  HJ has had some good players in his time at HJ, but nothing compared to what Sutherland coached there, and the route to state has been infinitely harder since he took over.   The playoff loss this year was really the only bad playoff loss he’s had in his career, and his best player was suspended and two other starters were injured (he’d tell you himself that they still had no excuse losing).   Davis may not have a state championship, but he consistently takes decent athletes and builds really good small school basketball teams.  He may not be the best coach in the area, but he’s earned the right to be on a list of the best coaches around here.  He’s also undoubtedly had the opportunity to move to schools that would give him a better shot of advancing, but has stayed loyal to HJ.  

2 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

HJ gets a lot of move-ins also, College level meaning any level. 

That’s said quite often but but doesn’t seem to happen as much as folks think. There’s a lot more kids that move out than there are moving in. Most of the kids that go through the HJ program are there from junior high through graduation. 

1 minute ago, 3’s please said:

What is your point ? Every school has move ins. He does a great job with the kids he has. Like him or not Coach Davis does a great job and should be on this list. 

He does do a good job. That program was already built though when he took over, if you look since he’s been the head coach at HJ what is his best season at HJ with the program already implemented and structure? I think he has underachieved at HJ. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Admittedly a biased post here, as Clay coached me when I was a kid, and I’ve always liked him.  I did a little research, and talked to some HJ folks as well.  As best I can tell, Tatum won about 7 games in two years before Davis got there, then won 19 his first year, 26 his second.  Two district titles in his two years there, and a regional tourney appearance.  Took over Jasper and won the district his first year, and took them to the regional quarters.  Missed the playoffs the next year, which was the year he was dealing with some family stuff that led to him coming back to HJ as an assistant.  I believe his playoff runs at those schools were the deepest both schools had ever gone at the time.  HJ hasn’t gone as far under Davis as they did under Sutherland in the playoffs, but they’ve lost in the playoffs to Sterling, Navasota, Yates x 3, and Silsbee.  Every one of those teams went to state or the regional finals.  He took over basically right at the time that houston all of a sudden had 4A AAU teams, and Silsbee was able to play 3 D-1 players at once.  HJ has had some good players in his time at HJ, but nothing compared to what Sutherland coached there, and the route to state has been infinitely harder since he took over.   The playoff loss this year was really the only bad playoff loss he’s had in his career, and his best player was suspended and two other starters were injured (he’d tell you himself that they still had no excuse losing).   Davis may not have a state championship, but he consistently takes decent athletes and builds really good small school basketball teams.  He may not be the best coach in the area, but he’s earned the right to be on a list of the best coaches around here.  He’s also undoubtedly had the opportunity to move to schools that would give him a better shot of advancing, but has stayed loyal to HJ.  

^^^^ what he said 

7 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

He does do a good job. That program was already built though when he took over, if you look since he’s been the head coach at HJ what is his best season at HJ with the program already implemented and structure? I think he has underachieved at HJ. 

Clay has consistently won 25 games while playing a tough schedule. He lost one game to a great Tiger team when Cartwright hit a 3 at the buzzer. He lost another to the same  Tiger club at HJ by 3. If you charted the talent of each club these games probably shouldn’t be close. Give the guy his due. He’s successful year in and year out. 

28 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

How?  Because he was in a district with Silsbee who had the talent for several years to possibly make it to state a division higher?  Because he keeps running into Houston AAU teams in the playoffs?  The talent level isn’t what it was at HJ 10 years ago.  They’ve had some good players, but not like before he took over. All he does is win 20+ games a year and competes most years for a district title with decent athletes.  It sounds like you have some sort of axe to grind more than anything else.    

42 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

I think you have a personal problem with Coach Davis. Nobody said he’s the best coach in the area but if underachieving is wining 20 game and making the playoffs ever year that’s crazy. That’s tuff to do at any school. Give credit where credit is due no matter what think of the dude. We are beating a dead horse so let just move on. Who we gonna talk about next? 

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Also an interesting tidbit about his first year at Jasper, he cut a 6’10” and a 6’ 7” along with a few others, took what was left and won the district. Not saying he’s the best but definitely needs to be in the discussion. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

Clay has consistently won 25 games while playing a tough schedule. He lost one game to a great Tiger team when Cartwright hit a 3 at the buzzer. He lost another to the same  Tiger club at HJ by 3. If you charted the talent of each club these games probably shouldn’t be close. Give the guy his due. He’s successful year in and year out. 

Won 21 games this year lost in 1st round, won 20 games year before lost in 2nd round, 23 games year before lost in 2nd round,  25 games the year before lost in 3rd round, won 18 games year before and lost in 2nd round, won 20 games then lost in 2nd round. He’s good but I think program hasn’t made strides under him. Stayed pretty stagnant 

Won 21 games this year lost in 1st round, won 20 games year before lost in 2nd round, 23 games year before lost in 2nd round,  25 games the year before lost in 3rd round, won 18 games year before and lost in 2nd round, won 20 games then lost in 2nd round. He’s good but I think program hasn’t made strides under him. Stayed pretty stagnant 

Granted this year’s playoff loss was a bad one. Not sure you can hold the losses to Yates against him. I definitely think he’s a top 10 guy.

The program didn’t get yates in the 2nd or 3rd round most years before he coached there.  You’re a broken record.  Just say you don’t like him, because you’re ignoring the obvious while repeating the same arguments over and over.  HJ has had less talent and faced MUCH tougher playoff competition since he took over.  He’s still kept them in the hunt for district championships and won playoff games every year but one. If you think Sutherland would’ve done any better against Silsbee and Yates over the last 6 or 7 years you’re delusional.  

3 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Granted this year’s playoff loss was a bad one. Not sure you can hold the losses to Yates against him. I definitely think he’s a top 10 guy.

Or finishing district runner up to the state championship Silsbee teams with three D1 players.  

How many programs can say this year in and year our .. like I said earlier let’s just move on because obviously you have a personal vendetta against him

On 7/23/2021 at 10:40 AM, Indians4life said:

Joubert program struggled the last couple of year not having the athletes he normally has, I think Davis took over a great program and can we really say the program is better now since Sutherland left?? I don’t think so but some might think so…I think Jeffcoat (LCM) and McDonald from ofield does a good job. I think Mitchell is the the best up and coming coach in the area with what he’s done at Lumberton is pretty impressive. I like Kevin Foster at Big Sandy he’s done really well

If you want to be on the best coaches list then you need to have a lot of wins year in and year out.  The scorecard of a good coach is literally wins and losses or win percentage.  Good coaches find ways to get the job done no matter the talent level.  Or they work their way into a position with better pieces, but there are no excuses and you can't knock someone for having talented players.  Comes down to getting wins.

You cannot bash Duane Joubert for having a couple of out of character rough seasons and then praise Josh Mitchell for having a couple outlier strong seasons.  That's a double standard.  I also don't think you can be an "up and comer" if you've been a head coach for over a decade.  Lastly, a top coach in the area should be confident enough in himself and his program not to fish for compliments.  Andre Boutte and Todd Sutherland are probably not too concerned with internet rankings.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:07 PM, lsutigers20230 said:

Good question but they have made the playoffs the last 3 years and a total of 4 times in school History that’s impressive. 

I feel like making the playoffs four times ever is the opposite of impressive.  How long has Mitchell been there?  What is his overall record?  Where are the big, marquee wins?  I think he's a good coach, but I just don't see him as a top 10 guy in the area.  Maybe that is more of a reflection on how many good coaches there are.

1st Tier:  David Green, Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutte

2nd Tier:  Brian English, Scott Barrett, Kevin Foster

3rd Tier:  Clay Davis, Travis Williams, Chris Pennington, Brian Whitmire, DJ Wilson

4 hours ago, whsalum said:

Texas football fans thought Mack Brown was underachieving too.  How did that work out for them?  Clay does a fantastic job at HJ.  Imagine how they'd have done had Parquet and the 6'10 kid stayed over there?  I'd say they've lost more in transfers than they've gained.

10 minutes ago, The Dragon said:

I feel like making the playoffs four times ever is the opposite of impressive.  How long has Mitchell been there?  What is his overall record?  Where are the big, marquee wins?  I think he's a good coach, but I just don't see him as a top 10 guy in the area.  Maybe that is more of a reflection on how many good coaches there are.

1st Tier:  David Green, Todd Sutherland, Andre Boutte

2nd Tier:  Brian English, Scott Barrett, Kevin Foster

3rd Tier:  Clay Davis, Travis Williams, Chris Pennington, Brian Whitmire, DJ Wilson

No clue on the record, looks like he’s been there around 8 years. All I’m saying what was Lumberton basktball before he got there? Lumberton was alway the laughing stock around this Area for a long time. Marquee wins?? They beat Silsbee at Silsbee this year for the district title that’s pretty marquee. They beat Fannett twice 2 years ago when Fannett beat Silsbee and HJ that year those were big wins against a very very good coach in Rideaux.  Also, I think Jeffcoat does a good job also, DJ wilson has been a head coach for 2 years lol he can’t be in this discussion. Collins guy from hardin is better than wilson. 

9 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

No clue on the record, looks like he’s been there around 8 years. All I’m saying what was Lumberton basktball before he got there? Lumberton was alway the laughing stock around this Area for a long time. Marquee wins?? They beat Silsbee at Silsbee this year for the district title that’s pretty marquee. They beat Fannett twice 2 years ago when Fannett beat Silsbee and HJ that year those were big wins against a very very good coach in Rideaux.  Also, I think Jeffcoat does a good job also, DJ wilson has been a head coach for 2 years lol he can’t be in this discussion. Collins guy from hardin is better than wilson. 

So if Lumberton doesn’t win 20 game and doesn’t make the playoff does that mean coach Mitchell isn’t a good coach anymore? The list the Dragon made seems pretty fair beside Wilson .