Top 10 best coaches in Setx??

There are about 5 GREAT coaches in SE Texas, a few really good ones, and the rest are just guys wearing a whistle.  Guys like Green, Sutherland, Boutte, English, and Sigler are proven in this area.  Davis and Joubert have done a really good job of maintaining good programs over the years, and Mitchell is up and coming and had better ride last season out into a better job, or he will be a lifer there. Other than THAT? I'm not so certain about beyond those that I mentioned.  SE Texas is not as basketball coach rich as one would think.

2 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

There are about 5 GREAT coaches in SE Texas, a few really good ones, and the rest are just guys wearing a whistle.  Guys like Green, Sutherland, Boutte, English, and Sigler are proven in this area.  Davis and Joubert have done a really good job of maintaining good programs over the years, and Mitchell is up and coming and had better ride last season out into a better job, or he will be a lifer there. Other than THAT? I'm not so certain about beyond those that I mentioned.  SE Texas is not as basketball coach rich as one would think.

Joubert program struggled the last couple of year not having the athletes he normally has, I think Davis took over a great program and can we really say the program is better now since Sutherland left?? I don’t think so but some might think so…I think Jeffcoat (LCM) and McDonald from ofield does a good job. I think Mitchell is the the best up and coming coach in the area with what he’s done at Lumberton is pretty impressive. I like Kevin Foster at Big Sandy he’s done really well

This thread gets brought about every 3 or 4 months, I think the guys mentioned are all obviously good but I would probably add a couple guys as well. (Robertson @ BC & Smith PNG). My only question would be what has Lumberton/Mitchell  done without the McClure kid who ended up at Lamar? 

20 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

This thread gets brought about every 3 or 4 months, I think the guys mentioned are all obviously good but I would probably add a couple guys as well. (Robertson @ BC & Smith PNG). My only question would be what has Lumberton/Mitchell  done without the McClure kid who ended up at Lamar? 

Good question but they have made the playoffs the last 3 years and a total of 4 times in school History that’s impressive. 

50 minutes ago, lsutigers20230 said:

Those are all schools who have really good athletes everywhere what has he really built? HJ has been good since 90 lol 

It’s true they’ve all had good athletes but that doesn’t necessarily transition into basketball success. Jasper’s basketball team was not real good before he took over up there. He’s done a good job at HJ year in and year out. 

9 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

Those are all schools who have really good athletes everywhere what has he really built? HJ has been good since 90 lol 

Good point on athletes but you have to  continually develop those guys and maintain a level of success. Which he has done. 

8 minutes ago, no-look said:

Good point on athletes but you have to  continually develop those guys and maintain a level of success. Which he has done. 

Hj has been good since 90s let’s be honest the program at HJ has been good for a long dang time. It’s easy when you take over a great program. He’s a good coach but he’s had it made with a lot of talent.

Guest mrtomcat

I hate this discussion with a passion.  It's so difficult to judge a coach or the greatness of his performance.

Take for instance.....Sutherland - He's great in a lot of folks eyes, but has he WON somewhere that doesn't have basketball kids? No!

He even lost to a Hardin team full of 4.9 kids who can't grab the rim.

Does Joubert win at Kountze when the talent is down? - The answer is no.   

Why?  Because the kids are 90% of the recipe.  It's all about where you're coaching and what district you're competing against.

I said all that to say this.....Sutherland, Joubert, Davis, Sigler, Green, English are probably the best SETX has to offer but its the kids in their program that speak for them much more than they can speak for themselves.  

A great coach for me will always be a guy that can win with garbage.  There is no other way to measure greatness.

2 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

Hj has been good since 90s let’s be honest the program at HJ has been good for a long dang time. It’s easy when you take over a great program. He’s a good coach but he’s had it made with a lot of talent.

He’s also had to coach in the era where 4A has become a big city classification, with all of these houston and Dallas schools somehow fielding 4A squads.  Not to mention the insane talent silsbee has put out.  It’s kind of funny that you talk about the talent he inherited, but want to give Mitchell full credit for making the playoffs 3 years in a row with a D1 player (something I’m not positive Davis has ever had, except for a couple of seasons with Parquet).  

Boutte, Sigler, Green, and Sutherland are the best in the area. Coaches coach and players play. Without both, you don't win. Remember when Lebron had David Bla or whatever his name was and Mike Brown. Cleveland never won. Add Ty Lou, they win. Phil Jackson never won a ring without MJ, Kobe, or Shaq. I think Silsbee and United have thr best odds to make it and win state this year. United would have better odds to win vs Silsbee who out have to get out of Region 3 again and play Argyle or FF. 

34 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

I hate this discussion with a passion.  It's so difficult to judge a coach or the greatness of his performance.

Take for instance.....Sutherland - He's great in a lot of folks eyes, but has he WON somewhere that doesn't have basketball kids? No!

He even lost to a Hardin team full of 4.9 kids who can't grab the rim.

Does Joubert win at Kountze when the talent is down? - The answer is no.   

Why?  Because the kids are 90% of the recipe.  It's all about where you're coaching and what district you're competing against.

I said all that to say this.....Sutherland, Joubert, Davis, Sigler, Green, English are probably the best SETX has to offer but its the kids in their program that speak for them much more than they can speak for themselves.  

A great coach for me will always be a guy that can win with garbage.  There is no other way to measure greatness.

So have you heard of a Coach by the name of Andre Boutte? Has more state titles than anyone on your list and TWICE as many state tournament appearances than many on your list of "best SETX has to offer". And to criticize Joubert by saying all he wins with is talent, is quite possibly the dumbest statement on this thread.  I think you should re-think your statement.

Boutte is a legend no doubt he’s up there prob number 1, you have to have talent to win, HJ has college type players every year, Davis does a good job but he has talent every year no matter what, Kevin Foster should be up there also…was McClure a d1 player his sophomore year and Junior year?? Also don’t forget about Buna coach he’s another good one. 

14 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Are you guys seriously not mentioning Coach Boutte ON PURPOSE? LOL

I said last season that it may have been Boutte’s best coaching job (same with Foster at BS).  Both did way more than they should have with the talent they had.  Boutte is most definitely still on top of his game.  

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

No names to add besides what's already been said. Of course all these coaches need talent to do what they do. Nobody is taking the chess team on a deep playoff run lol.

I agree with u!! I thought last with what Sigler did was his best coaching job in a long long time 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, lsutigers20230 said:

Boutte is a legend no doubt he’s up there prob number 1, you have to have talent to win, HJ has college type players every year, Davis does a good job but he has talent every year no matter what, Kevin Foster should be up there also…was McClure a d1 player his sophomore year and Junior year?? Also don’t forget about Buna coach he’s another good one. 

You’ve literally said the same thing three times.  By college type players are you talking about D3?  NAIA?  You’re severely overstating the quality of players and talent going through HJ.  What HJ does is build good players, but they’re not overrun with college ready athletes like you keep saying.  

26 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

You’ve literally said the same thing three times.  By college type players are you talking about D3?  NAIA?  You’re severely overstating the quality of players and talent going through HJ.  What HJ does is build good players, but they’re not overrun with college ready athletes like you keep saying.  

HJ gets a lot of move-ins also, College level meaning any level.