UIL: 7A and other news

49 minutes ago, D3zii said:

If I remember correctly wasn't Centrals first year of existing they were ranked #1 in the state because of BCP and French coming together?

I don’t remember about Central‘s first year but they certainly could have been.

I think Westbrook won the state championship in their first year of existence after starting their history by losing the first two or three ball games. The  a couple of years later I think French won the state championship in their last year of existence. Maybe in the 84 or 85 school year. I think it was a 21 to 21 tie but back then they just called you co-champions. 

So if my fading memory is correct, Westbrook won the state championship in their first year and French won the state championship in the last year.

The mergers did not happen all in the same year. I think first Beaumont high and Charlton Pollard high combined into both names, Beaumont Charlton Pollard or BCP. Then they took in French (86 maybe?) and became Central?

Anyway, Beaumont had a pretty good run of teams in the mid 80s with two state championships and interestingly between the first and last years of two schools.

If my memory….

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There were actually 16. I believe all but one or two at the time had played for Smith or Ozen. I’m pretty sure Smith coached 22 pros by himself in total. Hebert’s 1976 UIL title is what I believe ultimately led to Westbrook’s 1982 title, but Beaumont unquestionably had the talent to win several more. 

With my Job I travel alot, almost like im in the military, and is crazy how when I tell people I'm from Beaumont and SETX in general, how it rings bells. Ive been posted in Midland for a year so when I got here I def wanted to catch a Permian/Midland Lee football game. I ended up sitting by an Older Gentleman and his son. So we started talking and come to find out he was on that Permian Team that played French in 84 state championship. So I told him I was from Beaumont, and the first thing he said "Man yall were insanely Fast" . He said he had never seen a team that fast. "And man y'all were physical, but i guess running that fast anything you hit gone hurt" 😂. He said they actaully got lucky to tie the game. He said he had never played a team faster until the next season when they played Hou. Yates (85) lol, which is understandable., I told him you know was crazy French probably wasn't even the best Team in Beaumont that Year they had just got hot and clicked at the right time. 

&

I remember in college we had a new coaching staff my soph year, and we got a D-Line coach from Marshall University. When we met and I told him I was from Beaumont first thing he said "The Golden T" 😂, he said man I love recruiting that area,. He said between The Golden Triangle, S.Florida and the Hampton Rds (Virginia), them are my fav. "The only thing with recruiting SETX is keeping the players out of trouble"

2 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I don’t remember about Central‘s first year but they certainly could have been.

I think Westbrook won the state championship in their first year of existence after starting their history by losing the first two or three ball games. The  a couple of years later I think French won the state championship in their last year of existence. Maybe in the 84 or 85 school year. I think it was a 21 to 21 tie but back then they just called you co-champions. 

So if my fading memory is correct, Westbrook won the state championship in their first year and French won the state championship in the last year.

The mergers did not happen all in the same year. I think first Beaumont high and Charlton Pollard high combined into both names, Beaumont Charlton Pollard or BCP. Then they took in French (86 maybe?) and became Central?

Anyway, Beaumont had a pretty good run of teams in the mid 80s with two state championships and interestingly between the first and last years of two schools.

If my memory….

Yes I could be wrong, but I remembered BCP was good and then you had French coming off a state run so when they combined they were #1 in the state, but like yours my memory is beginning to face also lol 

• 2 weeks later...