UIL: 7A and other news

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

Bigger towns and cities have stopped building neighborhood schools.  Beaumont use to have 5 public HS’s and now they’re down to two.  Economically it makes sense but it causes havoc with equalizing alignment.  I anticipate larger discrepancies in the lower (all?) Divisions.

I think Beaumont had six 4A (now 6A) high schools. Their entire six team district was within the city limits.

If I remember correctly:

Beaumont

French

Charlton Pollard

South Park

Hebert

Forest Park

6 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I think Beaumont had six 4A (now 6A) high schools. Their entire six team district was within the city limits.

If I remember correctly:

Beaumont

French

Charlton Pollard

South Park

Hebert

Forest Park

Can you imagine the football team you could’ve gotten out of that bunch?

And yes, I was counting the 50’s & forgot about FP.

20 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Why 7A? How about just splitting 6A into DI and DII like the other classifications?

If I’m interpreting the article correctly, in order to make a 6A split solve the problem adding a 7A class would then the 6A class as a whole would have to have about 330 schools in. It would pretty much be impossible to align 165 schools into 16 districts.

However, if you pull the largest 80 schools out of the current 6A to make 7A, keep 250 in 5A and 6A, then you will get a trickle down effect that will close the enrollment gaps in the smaller classes which I think is the UIL’s ultimate goal. 

2 hours ago, rupert3 said:

Lot I know about it but seems to me that some 7A schools would have to travel hundreds of miles to play district games.

Who? Maybe I am missing it but viewing that projection linked above it looks fantastic. The only school I see with any difficulty at all would be San Angelo mixed in with Midland and Odessa, but they are already there now. Otherwise there are several DFW districts, several in Houston, one CenTex and one Brownsville district. Its astoundingly good.    

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Can you imagine the football team you could’ve gotten out of that bunch?

And yes, I was counting the 50’s & forgot about FP.

I think the folks in Beaumont back then were good with taking L’s as long as their kids didn’t have to go to school with the ones Willie Ray and Clifton J. were coaching. 

17 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Can't resist the racial comments, can you? 

You can’t resist saying stupid stuff like Lake Travis lost to 4th place Round Rock, can you? At least the stuff I say can be backed up with actual data, in this case a court order. But to answer you question, yes. I find it very damning that some of the best athletes in the entire country at the time weren’t allowed to display their talents in the UIL. 

42 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You can’t resist saying stupid stuff like Lake Travis lost to 4th place Round Rock, can you? At least the stuff I say can be backed up with actual data, in this case a court order. But to answer you question, yes. I find it very damning that some of the best athletes in the entire country at the time weren’t allowed to display their talents in the UIL. 

But they were allowed to display their talents in the NFL.  At one time Beaumont was known for producing the most NFL players.  I think there were 13 at the time from Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

But they were allowed to display their talents in the NFL.  At one time Beaumont was known for producing the most NFL players.  I think there were 13 at the time from Beaumont.

There were actually 16. I believe all but one or two at the time had played for Smith or Ozen. I’m pretty sure Smith coached 22 pros by himself in total. Hebert’s 1976 UIL title is what I believe ultimately led to Westbrook’s 1982 title, but Beaumont unquestionably had the talent to win several more. 

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

You are right Hagar, but you cannot reason with the racist Cougar14.2. He lives in a 24/7 rage hating white people. What a sad life, Racist14.2.     

Those facts hurt, huh? Smh, something this imbecilic doesn’t even really deserve a response but I’ll oblige.

I’m probably the only racist you know that spends three hours a night watching Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell and Brian Williams consecutively while voting for moderate democrats like Hilary and Biden. I don’t know what your obsession is with me but it’s pretty sad in itself, lol. 

29 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There were actually 16. I believe all but one or two at the time had played for Smith or Ozen. I’m pretty sure Smith coached 22 pros by himself in total. Hebert’s 1976 UIL title is what I believe ultimately led to Westbrook’s 1982 title, but Beaumont unquestionably had the talent to win several more. 

I can buy most of your post but alleging that a Hebert title in 76 had something to do with West Brooks SC in 82 is a stretch.  After watching Coach Durley’s South Park Team, where he was OC, I think he deserves a lot of the credit, along with the FP & Hebert players.

2 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I can buy most of your post but alleging that a Hebert title in 76 had something to do with West Brooks SC in 82 is a stretch.  After watching Coach Durley’s South Park Team, where he was OC, I think he deserves a lot of the credit, along with the FP & Hebert players.

What I’m saying is I don’t believe Durley ever gets the Westbrook job in the first place if he doesn’t win that title in ‘76 at Hebert. 

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

If I remember correctly:

Beaumont

French

Charlton Pollard

South Park

Hebert

Forest Park

No.  I'm willing to bet all would be 4A and under.  When theses schools were open, except for CP and Bmt High, the cutoff number from 5A/4A was 1400.....

Hebert and SP was 4A bordering on 3A when they closed.  BCP was 5A with WB and French but given the current demographics in BISD, they would all be 4A on down

1 minute ago, Austin1985 said:

No.  I'm willing to bet all would be 4A and under.  When theses schools were open, except for CP and Bmt High, the cutoff number from 5A/4A was 1400.....

Hebert and SP was 4A bordering on 3A when they closed.  BCP was 5A with WB and French but given the current demographics in BISD, they would all be 4A on down

4A was (equivalent to 6A now) biggest schools, no matter how big they got. Yes all classes have a cut off and it usually grows.

At that time all six schools in Beaumont were in the highest classification available in Texas.

Again going by memory when I graduated…

21-4A

Beaumont Royal Purples

South Park Greenies

Hebert Panthers

Forest Park Trojans

Charlton Pollard Bulldogs 

French Buffaloes 

22-4A

Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson Yellow Jackets

Port Arthur Abraham Lincoln Bumblebees

Vidor Pirates 

Orange Lutcher Stark Tigers

Nederland Bulldogs 

Port Neches-Groves Indians

Which was always the end bi-district match.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Not if you move the numbers for each.

6A and 5A are basically full at 250 schools....there's not many places to put those schools w/o skewing the ratio in 4A even more than it already is...7A is the answer because you add 125 or so schools to 7A then you work your way back up from the lower levels to realign the ratios better....will there be some small districts in 4A?? Absolutely but I think thats better than having a 4A that goes from 550-1400 kids...

17 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

4A was (equivalent to 6A now) biggest schools, no matter how big they got. Yes all classes have a cut off and it usually grows.

At that time all six schools in Beaumont were in the highest classification available in Texas.

Again going by memory when I graduated…

21-4A

Beaumont Royal Purples

South Park Greenies

Hebert Panthers

Forest Park Trojans

Charlton Pollard Bulldogs 

French Buffaloes 

22-4A

Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson Yellow Jackets

Port Arthur Abraham Lincoln Bumblebees

Vidor Pirates 

Orange Lutcher Stark Tigers

Nederland Bulldogs 

Port Neches-Groves Indians

Which was always the end bi-district match.

Oh you old old because in the mid 70's, Austin played the likes of Hebert and SP.  Don't know what year they dropped but both were 4A in 82 when Hebert closed and 86 when SP closed.....

Keep in mind the following schools are getting added to 5A or 6A in 2022...expect another dozen or so in 2024 also...so thats why 7A is needed....more and more schools getting built

Lake Belton

Frisco Emerson

Frisco Panther Creek

Richmond Randle

Katy Jordan

San Antonio Davenport

San Antonio Pieper

San Antonio Sotomayor

Killeen Chaparral

Austin LASA

19 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

Oh you old old because in the mid 70's, Austin played the likes of Hebert and SP.  Don't know what year they dropped but both were 4A in 82 when Hebert closed and 86 when SP closed.....

I graduated in 1974. Those district where static for a few realignments. It sure made it easy.

I “think” back then they had 8 man, B and then 1A-4A as six classifications. The 4A was the largest. At some point they move the B to 1A so that all 11 man football was at least an A. Then again they bumped everybody one and it became 1A-6A.

I kind of want to think there was an eight man and a six man football back then. It is since been dropped to just six man. But that was almost 50 years ago and it’s stretching my memory. 

11 hours ago, tvc184 said:

If I remember correctly:

Beaumont

French

Charlton Pollard

South Park

Hebert

Forest Park

If I remember correctly wasn't Centrals first year of existing they were ranked #1 in the state because of BCP and French coming together?