UIL: 7A and other news

55 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

They might as well just do a 6A split, makes sense, which is probably why it wont happen. 

6A Supers have been resisting a split forever.  However, they also opposed what would be now a 7A 30 years ago.

I don't know if the legislative council can pick either up without their approval.

From the article:

"The UIL will look into the number of schools opting up a division in Class 5A, which has created difficulties in aligning districts. Elza said Class 5A schools have the option to eliminate divisions if they desire."

"There has been no push for home-field advantage in the first round of the playoffs for the top seeds in Class 4A and below."

The top quote is a definite head scratcher. The bottom quote im not surprised at all. 

And I just saw a post from Stepp on the 6A site that it's on record 7A is happening, just a matter of which realignment. I think it's a weird move. 

On 7/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, WOSgrad said:

6A Supers have been resisting a split forever.  However, they also opposed what would be now a 7A 30 years ago.

I don't know if the legislative council can pick either up without their approval.

Yeah especially Katy. They played in the D2 football championship with significantly more kids than both D1 participants. SMDH...

7 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

What are the issues with 4a and 3a?

The enrollment disparity between the largest schools and smallest schools in the classification...new schools aren't built at 4A/3A they open as 5A/6A so as more new schools get added in it trickles down to 4A and widens that gap.....UIL wants to get as close to a 2:1 ratio as possible and right now the cut line in 4A is 1229 and the smallest is 515...thats a large gap.....we are adding ten new 5A/6A schools in 2022.....that gap in 4A is going to get even larger because more small 5A's are going to drop because there's only so many spots in 5A/6A and they already have a lot of nine and ten team districts

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

More detailed explanation of what Stepp was talking about in regards to 7A. Also gives examples of who would be in the districts: 

This is the hidden content, please

There would still be some big spreads between schools in some of those 7A districts.  Allen would have about 3k more than the smallest school in that district.  I agree with the article just some of the new schools that open would quickly be 6-7A after a couple of realignments.

52 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Why 7A? How about just splitting 6A into DI and DII like the other classifications?

As these articles pointed out, no one is building 3A/4A schools and the spread in those levels is becoming unbalanced.

At this point Nederland, PNG and Dayton will be 4A schools within a few realignments.

Texas is growing fast. There really needs to be a Metropolitan division for these monster schools to compete against each other.

2 hours ago, Bigdog said:

There would still be some big spreads between schools in some of those 7A districts.  Allen would have about 3k more than the smallest school in that district.  I agree with the article just some of the new schools that open would quickly be 6-7A after a couple of realignments.

I think the bigger the enrollments the more diminishing the returns from the enrollment gaps. For instance, when Crosby and CE King we’re in the same district we used to beat King a lot. Now King has about 800 more kids than Crosby and has a pretty decent talent advantage. Adding a 4A school(800 kids) to one team that already has pretty equal talent to the other is devastating at an 1,800 student enrollment. 

On the flip side, if you were to double Crosby’s current enrollment we would have about 800 less kids than North Shore. As it stand right now North Shore would murder Crosby every time we lined up but if you doubled our current talent I don’t think we would have any issue playing with them. North Shore’s advantage of 800 kids with Crosby sitting at 3,600 students means way less than King’s advantage of 800 with Crosby sitting at 1,800. 

You can only play 22 at a time so I think Allen’s huge advantage is depth that can mitigate injuries, not necessarily quality of the starting talent. 

9 hours ago, Bigdog said:

Some one needs to tell Allen ISD they need a 2nd Highschool.  Maybe even a 3rd, the way North Dallas is growing its only a matter of time. I mean come on that's ridiculous lol, I know they need 30mins to get to class. Enrollment sticks out like a sore thumb.

Bigger towns and cities have stopped building neighborhood schools.  Beaumont use to have 5 public HS’s and now they’re down to two.  Economically it makes sense but it causes havoc with equalizing alignment.  I anticipate larger discrepancies in the lower (all?) Divisions.