Critical race?

mat

9 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

I hoped on this thread to shed light on a issue where a poster believe someone got a job only because affirmative action. And I’m the racist for using the word Karen but the VP can be labeled a slut or whore .. what’s worst.

But on the other hand, Joe DID say that he was going to find a woman of color to be his VP... he wasn't sure who, but the VP was definitely going to be a woman of color.  So you can't then come back and say "look our first woman (of color) to be elected VP" when she was, in fact, chosen because of her gender/skin color.  You can't have it both ways.

This is the hidden content, please

Saying that is just a racist as saying "I'm going to pick a white dude to be my running mate."  Just because it's a "win" for your team doesn't make it any less wrong.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I remember when Phyllis George was the first white female to have a significant spot in commentating in the nationally televised sports world. She was a former miss USA, so she was definitely some fantastic eye candy. Joining the cast of The NFL Today with Brent Musberger and Jimmy “The Greek” (that would be racist in today’s world and he would have to change it) Snyder, she would also have to possess sports intelligence to be accepted. There was a list of applicants and I read where they asked a sports related question to narrow the field. The question was, “ What team runs the flex defense”? Phyllis answered, “The Dallas Cowboys” and got the job. She did very well and the onslaught of women commentators in men’s sports was on. There have been some improvements on the sideline reporters, but the early ones were there for the eye candy effect. 

Sad truth there still just eye candy for most part.

3 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

You know what If my using of the word Karen offended anyone I apologize and will no longer use the word while debating.

I wasn't offended, words don't bother me too much, but this term shouldn't be ok to use when something like welfare queen will get you hammered.

Neither are ok imo.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I wasn't offended, words don't bother me too much, but this term shouldn't be ok to use when something like welfare queen will get you hammered.

Neither are ok imo.

Both are ok with me. Why are we so offended by words? I think the term “Karen” is hilarious and actually makes sense. Never heard welfare queen before. Not really sure exactly what it means or what’s so offensive about it. 

4 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

You know what If my using of the word Karen offended anyone I apologize and will no longer use the word while debating.

No offense here, but if it’s equated with being a racial slur then one might try to equate your solution with a white person only saying the N word when not debating. Now, I don’t think you did anything wrong, I’m just adding some perspective. I don’t think when singing along with a rap song that has the N word that I shouldn’t feel ok to say that word as a part of the song without facing retribution. It’s silly I feel compelled to say “N word” when referring to a word instead of saying the word when it’s not being directed at a person or persons.

3 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Both are ok with me. Why are we so offended by words? I think the term “Karen” is hilarious and actually makes sense. Never heard welfare queen before. Not really sure exactly what it means or what’s so offensive about it. 

Neither are ok by me but don’t get me wrong, I don’t get offended by it.

It’s the double standard that it’s ok to refer to white women as Karen, which is a reference that means white women feel entitled simply because they’re white, which is garbage .

Stuff like this simply perpetuates the race taunting nonsense.

We can agree to disagree, these words don’t bug me too much either, but we’re not the problem.

1 minute ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Neither are ok by me but don’t get me wrong, I don’t get offended by it.

It’s the double standard that it’s ok to refer to white women as Karen, which is a reference that means white women feel entitled simply because they’re white, which is garbage .

Stuff like this simply perpetuates the race taunting nonsense.

We can agree to disagree, these words don’t bug me too much either, but we’re not the problem.

That’s fair. It’s still ok with me, because I get it. Can you tell me what a welfare queen is? I honestly don’t know. 

5 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s fair. It’s still ok with me, because I get it. Can you tell me what a welfare queen is? I honestly don’t know. 

A term used a while back making reference to women (not so veiled reference to minorities in public housing) that are on generational welfare with kids from different men.

12 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Gotcha... they put women in a position to be seen by the targeted demographics. "Sex sells"

So, sorry it took so long to get back to this. This one is really multifaceted, but yes, sex sells. Most of these women, to quote @PAMFAM10are eye candy. They are not being hired because it’s the “right thing to do” (which I’m not sold that it is), they’re hired because the largest demographic is a group of testosterone filled, sexy women loving, American males (of all colors) who like to look at these women. They are virtually no different than the ring girls at a boxing match other than they get to talk and get to be fully clothed (form fitting and sexy please). There are a few exceptions (did someone say Michelle Tafoya), but she’s not in the majority. Honestly, I’d rather have a guy that played the game, that understands what it’s like to have your ribs broken as a TE when getting hung out to dry on a drag across the middle to pick up 4 yards for a 1st down. It’s not a gender thing. It’s not a racial thing. It’s “who is best qualified to convey that play” thing. Just like I wouldn’t want Troy and Joe calling a Women’s softball championship. 
So here we are in the world of commercial wokism. Coca Cola could give a rat’s arse about racial equality or equity. But right now that sells. ESPN decides to join in along with all the others and promote racial equality…only because they think it will help their brand and their bottom line. Where were these people even 10 years ago? Well, it wasn’t selling 10 years ago. And if it’s not selling 10 years from now, you won’t see it then either. 
Finally, by forcing this so-called “equality/equity”, these companies are turning blacks into a side show. It’s wrong and for the wrong reason. I love listening to players (like Charles Barkley), who played the game, commentating an NBA game. Not because they’re black or white or male, but because they’re the best ones to do it. 

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

So, sorry it took so long to get back to this. This one is really multifaceted, but yes, sex sells. Most of these women, to quote @PAMFAM10are eye candy. They are not being hired because it’s the “right thing to do” (which I’m not sold that it is), they’re hired because the largest demographic is a group of testosterone filled, sexy women loving, American males (of all colors) who like to look at these women. They are virtually no different than the ring girls at a boxing match other than they get to talk and get to be fully clothed (form fitting and sexy please). There are a few exceptions (did someone say Michelle Tafoya), but she’s not in the majority. Honestly, I’d rather have a guy that played the game, that understands what it’s like to have your ribs broken as a TE when getting hung out to dry on a drag across the middle to pick up 4 yards for a 1st down. It’s not a gender thing. It’s not a racial thing. It’s “who is best qualified to convey that play” thing. Just like I wouldn’t want Troy and Joe calling a Women’s softball championship. 
So here we are in the world of commercial wokism. Coca Cola could give a rat’s arse about racial equality or equity. But right now that sells. ESPN decides to join in along with all the others and promote racial equality…only because they think it will help their brand and their bottom line. Where were these people even 10 years ago? Well, it wasn’t selling 10 years ago. And if it’s not selling 10 years from now, you won’t see it then either. 
Finally, by forcing this so-called “equality/equity”, these companies are turning blacks into a side show. It’s wrong and for the wrong reason. I love listening to players (like Charles Barkley), who played the game, commentating an NBA game. Not because they’re black or white or male, but because they’re the best ones to do it. 

Ummmm… we moved past equality. Now they demand “justice” for things that never happened to them, to be paid by people who never committed the acts in the first place. 

things we should teach in history. 

Sally Hemings

She was Thomas Jefferson's slave. 
Called his "mistress," but how can you be a mistress when you were a slave, a child, and could not consent? Had absolutely no choice?

She bore him 6, perhaps as many as 8 children. He kept her locked in a basement room. 

The room was recently unearthed, and DNA evidence has proven the lineage of Sally's children. 

She was between 12 and 14 years old when he started raping her, and Jefferson was in his forties. He freed the children that he had with her, but not Sally. Her daughter had to free her mother after Jefferson passed away. 
This is not taught in schools. This side of history. We are supposed to consider the founding fathers as great men, fighting for justice and freedom, guided by God... when they were actually evil men. Selfish men who did nothing, if it wasn’t for their own aggrandisement, personal benefit, and financial gain.

I would also like to add that Sally was Jefferson's dead wife's half sister. Sally's mother was raped by her owner, who was Martha (wife of Thomas) Jefferson's father.

These people left a legacy. 
A legacy of entitlement under the most criminal of circumstances, and White Supremacist beliefs which pervade U.S. Society and Culture, to this very day.

53 minutes ago, Trufan said:

things we should teach in history. 

Sally Hemings

She was Thomas Jefferson's slave. 
Called his "mistress," but how can you be a mistress when you were a slave, a child, and could not consent? Had absolutely no choice?

She bore him 6, perhaps as many as 8 children. He kept her locked in a basement room. 

The room was recently unearthed, and DNA evidence has proven the lineage of Sally's children. 

She was between 12 and 14 years old when he started raping her, and Jefferson was in his forties. He freed the children that he had with her, but not Sally. Her daughter had to free her mother after Jefferson passed away. 
This is not taught in schools. This side of history. We are supposed to consider the founding fathers as great men, fighting for justice and freedom, guided by God... when they were actually evil men. Selfish men who did nothing, if it wasn’t for their own aggrandisement, personal benefit, and financial gain.

I would also like to add that Sally was Jefferson's dead wife's half sister. Sally's mother was raped by her owner, who was Martha (wife of Thomas) Jefferson's father.

These people left a legacy. 
A legacy of entitlement under the most criminal of circumstances, and White Supremacist beliefs which pervade U.S. Society and Culture, to this very day.

So by your standards we should teach in history class that MLK had affairs with dozens of women and that he actually watched a rape take place.

I guess we should also dismiss anything tied to his history and tear down all statues of him and all streets named after him.

We’ll go even further and remove David from the Bible because he was an adulterer.

Even great men that do great things are flawed, you don’t get to choose which ones are dismissed from history.