RANDY BIRDWELL NAMED NEW HFC/AD AT HULL-DAISETTA!

oldschool2

I just got off of the phone with Coach Hodges and he is indeed stepping down as both head football coach and athletic director.  He will be taking a job as a position coach at Odessa Permian High School.

Coach told me that that this move has absolutely nothing to do with anything regarding Hull-Daisetta.  He has loved his time there and promises that this year's team will be an extremely competitive group.  In fact, he promised the superintendent that he would stay to supervise S&C workouts until a new coach comes aboard to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

Coach informed me that family reasons dictated this move.  Both his daughter and his son will be attending college in West Texas and he had been searching for opportunities for a while to coach in that area in order to be close to them.  Plus, as a having grown up in Boerne and gone to college at Angelo State, he always considered that part of the state home.

Another benefit he stated is that as position coach, he will not be behind an administrative desk as much which he admitted had been a bit of a grind.

Good luck at a very storied program, Coach!

54 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Family reasons seem to be the universal reason for coaches leaving to take other jobs. I’m quite certain there are lots of other things going on at HD right now that facilitated his leaving. 

Normally, I would agree with you.

However, this might be one case where the family reasons are legit and not a cover for other issues.

Recall, that this is the same Stan Hodges that two years ago stepped away from the football program to see his son play his senior year of football being solely athletic director that school year.  That move was signed off on by the superintendent.

After his son graduated, he came back to coach the team last year.  Now, for that to happen: 1) he had to be pretty happy about Hull-Daisetta to return to coach there instead of looking elsewhere and 2) the Hull-Daisetta powers that be had to be pretty happy with him to allow him to be, for one year at least, probably the only non-coaching AD in 2A and then to allow him back on the field after his hiatus.

So, I think that Stan Hodges and the Hull-Daisetta ISD had a good enough relationship that he would still be there if not for the family issues.

• WOSgrad changed the title to Hull-Daisetta is open
20 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Normally, I would agree with you.

However, this might be one case where the family reasons are legit and not a cover for other issues.

Recall, that this is the same Stan Hodges that two years ago stepped away from the football program to see his son play his senior year of football being solely athletic director that school year.  That move was signed off on by the superintendent.

After his son graduated, he came back to coach the team last year.  Now, for that to happen: 1) he had to be pretty happy about Hull-Daisetta to return to coach there instead of looking elsewhere and 2) the Hull-Daisetta powers that be had to be pretty happy with him to allow him to be, for one year at least, probably the only non-coaching AD in 2A and then to allow him back on the field after his hiatus.

So, I think that Stan Hodges and the Hull-Daisetta ISD had a good enough relationship that he would still be there if not for the family issues.

Yessir no question about it; was just bringing to light that I think there are some other things going on at HD right now that may have helped him in his decision to leave. 

Guest mrtomcat
2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Long as the Horsemen aren't leaving HD should be fine. 😁

they are getting one extra horseman this year.......they call him the toothless horseman

Guest mrtomcat
3 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Yessir no question about it; was just bringing to light that I think there are some other things going on at HD right now that may have helped him in his decision to leave. 

question:  when are there not things going on at HD?   what a disaster of a town

i'm almost certain there's a coach in the area (few stop signs away) that would love to go to HD and lead them to runner up in district

Ned Barrier @ Hardin and Randy Birdwell @ Jasper were the first two names that popped in my head. Maybe the HD legend Joe Allen Slack comes back for a second time…..

All I know is that if all the drama and heartburn with Hodges didn’t run off too many key players, HD will not be challenged in district. And yes, that includes Deweyville. I have zero doubt that someone will inherit a district championship team at HD. They’ll finish somewhere between 7-3 and 10-0 in the regular season barring major injuries. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, WOSgrad said:

I just got off of the phone with Coach Hodges and he is indeed stepping down as both head football coach and athletic director.  He will be taking a job as a position coach at Odessa Permian High School.

Coach told me that that this move has absolutely nothing to do with anything regarding Hull-Daisetta.  He has loved his time there and promises that this year's team will be an extremely competitive group.  In fact, he promised the superintendent that he would stay to supervise S&C workouts until a new coach comes aboard to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

Coach informed me that family reasons dictated this move.  Both his daughter and his son will be attending college in West Texas and he had been searching for opportunities for a while to coach in that area in order to be close to them.  Plus, as a having grown up in Boerne and gone to college at Angelo State, he always considered that part of the state home.

Another benefit he stated is that as position coach, he will not be behind an administrative desk as much which he admitted had been a bit of a grind.

Good luck at a very storied program, Coach!

Da Hodges era was average, he definitely wasn’t Coach Finney or Coach Copeland from the past. Hodgy wasn’t a players coach at all, but he held players accountable and always did da right thing. Dis HD team has 2-3 seasons of being real good, loads of young talent. Da new HC will be very successful starting off. 

On 6/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, mrtomcat said:

question:  when are there not things going on at HD?   what a disaster of a town

i'm almost certain there's a coach in the area (few stop signs away) that would love to go to HD and lead them to runner up in district

And who is this certain coach you speak of? Inquiring minds want to know!

And btw, it’ll be for district champs, not runner up 😉

I’ll be the 1st to tell you, I gave Hodges a hard time in the past when it was needed, I also praised him when it was deserved. As the keeper of the gates, a 5th generation Bobcat, it’s my responsibility. Stan Hodges was my coach at HD back in the 90’s, I supported and voiced my support of him coming back to HD as HC/AD, I talked with board members, talked with parents and the community, I was there to congratulate Stan as he was hired. Stan Hodges is like a dad to me, heck the man has stayed under my roof a time or two, sons and dads fight sometimes yes, I”ll say this, Coach Hodges done his job with integrity and never wavered in his stance to graduate young men of good character, that are trustworthy. HD was not a dominate team on the field that often under Hodges, but HD was respected as a program and definitely held its own. I will miss you Coach Hodges, we have both spent many years as Bobcats, it’s a special place, one of the best small school coaching jobs in the State. The new HC/AD will inherit a very talented young team, Dawson Victorian the stud Sophomore has D-1 talent and freakish size, has the potential to be all-state as a Sophomore, Junior Landyn Sellers, Junior Landon Victorian and Senior Cayden Weeks will led HD to a playoff push, HD’s O-line will be the best we have had in many years. I definitely voiced my support of two men many years ago, to get the HD job, one was Stan Hodges, the other was my former HD Bobcat teammate Randy Birdwell, I hope Coach Bird gets an opportunity this time around, to become the HC/AD at his Alma Mater. From what I’m hearing there is a long list of candidates, it shouldn’t be a surprise, after all HD folks love their football! Good luck at Odessa Coach, I’m sure I’ll come visit, ride for the brand! HD Nation! 

Sincerely,

Mr. Bobcat 

Caveat: By asking the following question, I not implying that Randy Birdwell will be the next head coach at H-D.  I don't know if he has even applied for the job or is in consideration for it.  I only ask this as he has been mentioned a couple of times as someone that some folks would like to see at H-D.

But, if Randy Birdwell is the next head coach at H-D, which offense will he run....the Wing T that has been run forever at H-D....or the spread that he is helping to implement in Jasper?

16 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Caveat: By asking the following question, I not implying that Randy Birdwell will be the next head coach at H-D.  I don't know if he has even applied for the job or is in consideration for it.  I only ask this as he has been mentioned a couple of times as someone that some folks would like to see at H-D.

But, if Randy Birdwell is the next head coach at H-D, which offense will he run....the Wing T that has been run forever at H-D....or the spread that he is helping to implement in Jasper?

Good question, I’d think the spread, especially with Dawson Victorian being the athlete he is, with his build. Kid literally can go 80 yards every play! 

Family reasons may play into it, but Hodges leaving is clearly tied to the drama that ended with the HD principal leaving for Liberty. 

I’m curious if Ned Barrier might be interested in this one. His wife was just hired as the principal at HD elem and he has a lot of history in the community. He would be a slam dunk hire and since he’s not the AD at Hardin, it should come with a healthy pay bump. Not to mention, have you seen his soon to be 8th grade son? That boy is going to be special. He’d look good in red and black. The community of HD needs this right now. It’s fractured. The barrier family could begin to repair the damage done recently and being new life to the high school. 

I like Bird just fine, but if HD had a shot at Barrier, a proven HC (see Brazos), then they have to take it. 

52 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That is a good question. I’d think most years at HD (or any very small school with limited numbers for that matter) it’s more difficult to pull off running a spread offense due to personnel (capable OL and QB namely). I think with the experience and athleticism of Sellers at QB (20 or so starts at QB as a FR/SO) and the kids they’ll have on the line, Bird could pull it off. Now they won’t look like Jasper, but they definitely have some playmakers that can do damage in space. With that said, I think this late in the game (will be July before arriving) they’d stick with the Slot-T or some variation of it. Most if not all of the current coaching staff will remain which is another chip towards sticking with the old offense. Plus Bird knows it and ran it at HD in years past. It’s hard to install a new offense period….. much less one that’s complex…. With limited time…. And with little or no assistant coaches familiar with it. Just my $.02

I’ll say it since nobody’s considering it..  there’s a certain time when it’s no longer legal for teachers to get out of their current contract.  For some schools.. that date may be passed.

Since he left so late, it’s likely going to cause the next AD/HC to be stuck with the football coaching staff that’s there.  I know a lot of times they like to bring their own coordinators.  Plus more.  I mean.. it’s practically July.

Food for thought.. that might deter some.

1 hour ago, MrUmp1 said:

Pay won't change because of assistants and anyone coming in this late gets a pass for a year, then you can bring in others if they want to come. Pay can determine what assistants even want to come.

Pay won’t change because of assistants? What do you mean by that? Barrier is certainly in line for a pay raise if he’s interested in the HD job. 

Also, don’t discount the relationship between Barrier and Bird. This might be a situation where they’re interested in working together. I lean “no”, but its possible. Considering this same scenario was attempted when Hodges was hired, Bird may not be interested. 

7 hours ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

Da Hodges era was average, he definitely wasn’t Coach Finney or Coach Copeland from the past. Hodgy wasn’t a players coach at all, but he held players accountable and always did da right thing. Dis HD team has 2-3 seasons of being real good, loads of young talent. Da new HC will be very successful starting off. 

You got that right.. played for Hodges in kountze, definitely hard nose coach that holds players accountable and always gets the best out of you…. Definitely a family man and this doesn’t suprise me one bit 

7 hours ago, H-D BOBCAT 55 said:

I’ll be the 1st to tell you, I gave Hodges a hard time in the past when it was needed, I also praised him when it was deserved. As the keeper of the gates, a 5th generation Bobcat, it’s my responsibility. Stan Hodges was my coach at HD back in the 90’s, I supported and voiced my support of him coming back to HD as HC/AD, I talked with board members, talked with parents and the community, I was there to congratulate Stan as he was hired. Stan Hodges is like a dad to me, heck the man has stayed under my roof a time or two, sons and dads fight sometimes yes, I”ll say this, Coach Hodges done his job with integrity and never wavered in his stance to graduate young men of good character, that are trustworthy. HD was not a dominate team on the field that often under Hodges, but HD was respected as a program and definitely held its own. I will miss you Coach Hodges, we have both spent many years as Bobcats, it’s a special place, one of the best small school coaching jobs in the State. The new HC/AD will inherit a very talented young team, Dawson Victorian the stud Sophomore has D-1 talent and freakish size, has the potential to be all-state as a Sophomore, Junior Landyn Sellers, Junior Landon Victorian and Senior Cayden Weeks will led HD to a playoff push, HD’s O-line will be the best we have had in many years. I definitely voiced my support of two men many years ago, to get the HD job, one was Stan Hodges, the other was my former HD Bobcat teammate Randy Birdwell, I hope Coach Bird gets an opportunity this time around, to become the HC/AD at his Alma Mater. From what I’m hearing there is a long list of candidates, it shouldn’t be a surprise, after all HD folks love their football! Good luck at Odessa Coach, I’m sure I’ll come visit, ride for the brand! HD Nation! 

Sincerely,

Mr. Bobcat 

Funny post in that every HD coach that’s ever dealt with this guy HD55 has started out liking him, and then quickly find out he’s a troublemaker and want to stay as far away as possible from him. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to RANDY BIRDWELL NAMED NEW HFC/AD AT HULL-DAISETTA!