DCTF 5A preseason rankings

Cougar14.2

9 hours ago, Go-rilla said:

Crosby does not have Co-DCs! Just needed to clarify that for y’all.

We hired two defensive coordinators from different schools. Yes, coach Poth will have the official DC title which is what I think you're saying but I feel like there will be some structural changes to how we're going to operate on that side of the ball that need to be accounted for which is why I listed it like that. Without going into a bunch of detail I'll just say I don't think Coach P is the type guy who will fully turn over the reigns of his state finals defense to someone who's been giving up 35-40ppg. I think that's why he made the two specific hires he did being that you can't really point to either guy and say they were in charge of good defenses any time in the recent past.   

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We hired two defensive coordinators from different schools. Yes, coach Poth will have the official DC title which is what I think you're saying but I feel like there will be some structural changes to how we're going to operate on that side of the ball that need to be accounted for which is why I listed it like that. Without going into a bunch of detail I'll just say I don't think Coach P is the type guy who will fully turn over the reigns of his state finals defense to someone who's been giving up 35-40ppg. I think that's why he made the two specific hires he did being that you can't really point to either guy and say they were in charge of good defenses any time in the recent past.   

Then why would you hire them? If neither have had much success as a defensive coach recently? 

20 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Generally they have not been mentioned along with the usual DFW suspects, like Allen, HP, Aledo, Duncanville, Argyle, etc. I think they are about to join the conversation.   

Yes, in general Lovejoy is not mentioned often. They have not accomplished that much compared to those other schools. There have been really good one hit wonder teams here in DFW, Lovejoy is in that category for the time being. If they keep making region finals and having great seasons then they could make a name for themselves. But they have a lot of work to do before they are a household name. 

*For what its worth they are beast in volleyball. Probably more well known around the state for their volleyball program than football. 

On 6/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Them and Denton Ryan are my non-bias favorites to win it all in 5A D1. 

Other than Highland Park and Longview that DR offense was basically unstoppable against 5A-D1 competition. I thought the defense would take a step back when they lost Drew Sanders last year but it seems like Jatavion Sanders just stepped it up and did even more, making the Raider defense even better this season. With more 5-star kids on the defense like Anthony Hill to step in they might not fall off as much on that side of the ball but I don't think they can replicate what they did on offense losing their qb, Bowman and Sanders. I think my pre-season favorite would be Longview. They always seem to be just a player short but I really like Lone Star this year too, I think they have the best coach in the DFW that doesn't really get talked about. 

13 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Other than Highland Park and Longview that DR offense was basically unstoppable against 5A-D1 competition. I thought the defense would take a step back when they lost Drew Sanders last year but it seems like Jatavion Sanders just stepped it up and did even more, making the Raider defense even better this season. With more 5-star kids on the defense like Anthony Hill to step in they might not fall off as much on that side of the ball but I don't think they can replicate what they did on offense losing their qb, Bowman and Sanders. I think my pre-season favorite would be Longview. They always seem to be just a player short but I really like Lone Star this year too, I think they have the best coach in the DFW that doesn't really get talked about. 

Week 2 Aledo travels to Lone Star. Should be a tough test for both teams. 

29 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Then why would you hire them? If neither have had much success as a defensive coach recently? 

There's obviously something coach knows or has seen to make him feel like they're the right fit? Years past maybe you would've questioned a hire like this in Crosby but I think coach gets the benefit of the doubt after getting us to the finals in only his second year. I'm with you though. If I had to guess I would say it's because the talent relative to the classification will be better at Crosby versus where they came from. 

53 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

We????? Were you part of that process? Crosby has 4 coaches on its defensive staff with coordinator experience. Most good staffs do. That doesn’t mean they have quad coordinators. 

We? You mean part of the "we" that voted for the school board members who approved the coaching hire? Part of the "we" that voted for 10's of millions on bonds which led to the financial situation that got Prieto here in the first place? Part of the "we" who pays several thousand a year in school taxes that covers those new hire salaries, not to mention my family being hit especially hard due to the volume of property we own? You may not be in the same situation and therefore feel excluded from the "we". 

Think about what you just said though? Crosby has 4 coaches with coordinator experience on the staff, yet three are assistants. Why aren't they DCs elsewhere? There are 20+ DC jobs in Katy, Cy-Fair and Conroe ISD alone that would pay more than they're making as position coaches in Crosby. The only guy that really doesn't apply to is the DC from Channelview who was actually a DC when we hired him. That being said, they're at Crosby now and obviously helped contribute this past season. "Most" good staffs at the high school level don't have that many guys with coordinator experience, most good staffs are ones who stay together for a long time and therefore don't have much turnover and most good coordinators keep their coordinator jobs. 

The structural changes I mentioned regarding co-DCs mostly came from an article I was reading when doing research on who we were hiring so don't listen to me, you can take it straight from the horses mouth: 

*Courtesy of The Marshall News Messenger 

On the field during one of the team's football practice, he points to linebackers coach Aaron Babino, then defensive line coach Anthony Randle, and any other defensive coaches in site and says, "He's a defensive coordinator."

"We've got great coaching," Poth said. "We're all defensive coordinators. No one person is better than the other one. It's all important."

2 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We? You mean part of the "we" that voted for the school board members who approved the coaching hire? Part of the "we" that voted for 10's of millions on bonds which led to the financial situation that got Prieto here in the first place? Part of the "we" who pays several thousand a year in school taxes that covers those new hire salaries, not to mention my family being hit especially hard due to the volume of property we own? You may not be in the same situation and therefore feel excluded from the "we". 

Think about what you just said though? Crosby has 4 coaches with coordinator experience on the staff, yet three are assistants. Why aren't they DCs elsewhere? There are 20+ DC jobs in Katy, Cy-Fair and Conroe ISD alone that would pay more than they're making as position coaches in Crosby. The only guy that really doesn't apply to is the DC from Channelview who was actually a DC when we hired him. That being said, they're at Crosby now and obviously helped contribute this past season. "Most" good staffs at the high school level don't have that many guys with coordinator experience, most good staffs are ones who stay together for a long time and therefore don't have much turnover and most good coordinators keep their coordinator jobs. 

The structural changes I mentioned regarding co-DCs mostly came from an article I was reading when doing research on who we were hiring so don't listen to me, you can take it straight from the horses mouth: 

*Courtesy of The Marshall News Messenger 

On the field during one of the team's football practice, he points to linebackers coach Aaron Babino, then defensive line coach Anthony Randle, and any other defensive coaches in site and says, "He's a defensive coordinator."

"We've got great coaching," Poth said. "We're all defensive coordinators. No one person is better than the other one. It's all important."

The same Aaron Babino that's a fellow Port Arthur SFA alum that starred at UT?? 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

The same Aaron Babino that's a fellow Port Arthur SFA alum that starred at UT?? 

Write-up from when they hired him says so. Love to see guys get opportunities at solid programs. My younger cousin, who's also a UT grad, just got bumped up to co-offensive coordinator at Odessa Permian and one of my college teammates just got the head coaching job at Bishop Lynch. Another former Crosby assistant, DJ Mann, was named HFC at Lubbock Coronado who went 12-1 last year. Very pleased to see some administrations branching out from what are probably their normal hiring pools.