Beaumont Mayoral Election

BMTSoulja1

7 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Thoughts on Mouton winning yesterday’s runoff election?

This is the hidden content, please

I’m not surprised.  Would’ve been surprised if the man won.  Imo, most of us have heard so many stories of crooked male politicians, we’re quick to pick a woman hoping she’ll be more honest.  Of course women are probably as susceptible to temptation as men, but we can always hope. 

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’m not surprised.  Would’ve been surprised if the man won.  Imo, most of us have heard so many stories of crooked male politicians, we’re quick to pick a woman hoping she’ll be more honest.  Of course women are probably as susceptible to temptation as men, but we can always hope. 

Personally, I was shocked based on how the previous two decades of Beaumont politics ran.  But I will say this.  Mrs.  Mouton has more political experience and does more in the community than Mr. West.  I just thought that having two negatives ( being a woman and an African American) would work against her.  Good to see her supporters come out.

30 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Personally, I was shocked based on how the previous two decades of Beaumont politics ran.  But I will say this.  Mrs.  Mouton has more political experience and does more in the community than Mr. West.  I just thought that having two negatives ( bearing a woman and an African American) would work against her.  Good to see her supporters come out.

Folks today will take honesty over race any time.  No offense to Mr. West, I don’t live in Bmt & have no idea of eithers qualifications or background.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Personally, I was shocked based on how the previous two decades of Beaumont politics ran.  But I will say this.  Mrs.  Mouton has more political experience and does more in the community than Mr. West.  I just thought that having two negatives ( bearing a woman and an African American) would work against her.  Good to see her supporters come out.

Beaumont has had a black mayor going back a quarter of a century ago when Beaumont was a majority white.  Mouton will be at least the third female mayor. She will be neither the first black mayor nor the first female mayor. 

We have had a black president and now a woman vice president who is also black.

Texas has a black population of about 12% or near the average for the rest of the country. If you count the Republican Party, I’m sure it is a much smaller percentage. A little over a year ago the Texas Republicans elected Allen West as a president of the Texas Republican party. Not only is he black, he is not even a native Texan and only moved to the state about five years ago. Was that two strikes against him? 

He resigned a couple of weeks ago and many people feel that he did so in order to run for governor next year. If so Mr. West must think that the state with only 12% blacks, will support him as a black non-native Texan as governor.

When will some people quit seeing race and sex as a negative? 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Beaumont has had a black mayor going back a quarter of a century ago when Beaumont was a majority white.  Mouton will be at least the third female mayor. She will be neither the first black mayor nor the first female mayor. 

We have had a black president and now a woman vice president who is also black.

Texas has a black population of about 12% or near the average for the rest of the country. If you count the Republican Party, I’m sure it is a much smaller percentage. A little over a year ago the Texas Republicans elected Allen West as a president of the Texas Republican party. Not only is he black, he is not even a native Texan and only moved to the state about five years ago. Was that two strikes against him? 

He resigned a couple of weeks ago and many people feel that he did so in order to run for governor next year. If so Mr. West must think that the state with only 12% blacks, will support him as a black non-native Texan as governor.

When will some people quit seeing race and sex as a negative? 

I was only speaking on what has been true for several years.  Being a woman or being black puts you behind the 8 ball on several things, especially politics.  Seems like this has changed somewhat just recently…

I was only speaking on what has been true for several years.  Being a woman or being black puts you behind the 8 ball on several things, especially politics.  Seems like this has changed somewhat just recently…

Becky Ames, the outgoing mayor of 13 or 14 years, also a female… Times are different y’all. They have been for quite some time…

As recently as, maybe 25 years ago when a majority white city in Beaumont elected a black mayor and I think reelected him 2 or 3 more times?

I know it is not a long time ago but 5 years ago a county that’s about 60% white elected a black female sheriff and the re-elected her?

Could it be 9 years ago when state Representative James White from Woodville won (I think 5 times so far) as a black man in a district that is almost 80% white? I think that White it’s not going to run again. Many people are speculating that he will run as a lieutenant governor candidate. If that is true we potentially could have Allen West and James White as a governor and lieutenant governor with both being the first black in those positions and also both Republicans. Go figure.   

We can each have our own beliefs for our own reasons but I wonder how long the complaint will be, but we cannot get ahead because we are ___________ (fill in the blank). The ones that I just named are examples that came off the top of my head and in this immediate area.

Outside of our area we could write volumes but as a single example could it be like Mia Love? Love was born in NYC and not only a black female but born to parents who emigrated from Haiti. But where was she elected 11 years ago? Perhaps in the Democratic stronghold of NYC? Nope, in Sarasota Springs, Utah she was elected to the city council and then mayor in a city that is approximately 90% white. Wait, a black female elected mayor not in a city not with barely has a white majority but one where 9 out of 10 are white?  Then she went on to serve two terms in the US House of Representatives from the same district.

So I wonder, when?

5 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

First black woman right? 

"Hey!  I like what's gone down in Port Arthur...  maybe we can do the same thing here!"

When you see "progress" on the AT&T building/Riverfront, just ride down and see how much government investing in "quality of life" projects has gone.  Pleasure Island, Ford Park, Crockett Street.... Some people come into office and want to do a good job with police, fire, roads, sewers, etc...

Other people want to waste tax dollars on things that the private sector would never invest in, and then put their name all across the front of it, lol.  

I don't have a problem with Mouton, I think that she, just like the re-election of some members of the BISD board show that the electorate in Beaumont is ignorant and outright destruction will follow.  But I only base that on having witnessed it happen over and over again.

Congrats on being the "first" of whatever you are.  

I could really care less who won, but the people complaining should focus their energy on the people that did not vote. Beaumont hs a population of about 118,000 and less than 20,000 voted, I think it was around 17,000.......and the REALLY sad part, is that was higher than the last Mayor vote........

7 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

I could really care less who won, but the people complaining should focus their energy on the people that did not vote. Beaumont hs a population of about 118,000 and less than 20,000 voted, I think it was around 17,000.......and the REALLY sad part, is that was higher than the last Mayor vote........

I agree.  Just seems that many taxpayers just aren’t concerned with local politics.  They think in the grand scheme, it’s next to irrelevant.  Someone needs to get a clue.  But hey, what can you do?

22 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I agree.  Just seems that many taxpayers just aren’t concerned with local politics.  They think in the grand scheme, it’s next to irrelevant.  Someone needs to get a clue.  But hey, what can you do?

Yeah.... turnouts are typically bad, then you have to figure that a runoff election for a single race will have practically no interest for the public.  

What can I do?  Gripe and complain on a message board- that's about it.