BISD Raise & Stipend

Hagar

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

"Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."  I'm a doer. 

187 day teacher contract.  When most of us work 260 days per year, then back out two weeks of vacation and an additional ten holidays for roughly 240 work days per year.  And I don't know anybody working that 240 day schedule that goes to work at 7:30 and gets off at 3:30.  That's before i get into night shifts, weekends, and working outdoors.  

The obvious fact is that teaching school is no harder than going to school was as a kid.  And no working person has ever said "jeez, I'm so glad that I got out of school... the real world is so much tougher than attending class m-f 8-3 with thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, and the summer off.  That was just terrible."

So YES.  It's a part time job. 

Jealous lil

did momma home school you since teachers have lil value

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, I just get tired of teachers complaining… they have it MADE compared to the people who pay teachers’ salaries. 

So you mean to tell me the tax payers have it harder than teachers?  You really don’t have a clue what these teachers deal with on a day to day basis…

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

"Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."  I'm a doer. 

187 day teacher contract.  When most of us work 260 days per year, then back out two weeks of vacation and an additional ten holidays for roughly 240 work days per year.  And I don't know anybody working that 240 day schedule that goes to work at 7:30 and gets off at 3:30.  That's before i get into night shifts, weekends, and working outdoors.  

The obvious fact is that teaching school is no harder than going to school was as a kid.  And no working person has ever said "jeez, I'm so glad that I got out of school... the real world is so much tougher than attending class m-f 8-3 with thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, and the summer off.  That was just terrible."

So YES.  It's a part time job. 

You post a lot of stuff I agree with on here, but this might be the most ignorant post you’ve ever made.  

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So you mean to tell me the tax payers have it harder than teachers?  You really don’t have a clue what these teachers deal with on a day to day basis…

So teachers have it worse than roofers? Worse than welders? Nurse aides? Truck drivers? Industrial maintenance contractors? Equipment operators? Police officers? Firemen? Linemen? Pipeliners? body men? Painters? Wrecker drivers? Fast food workers? Claim adjusters? Walmart employees? Exterminators? Wait staff? Strippers? Drywall hangers? Plumbers? 

The list goes on and on. EVERY ONE OF THOSE PROFESSIONS WORK MORE DAYS, LONGER HOURS, AND IN WORSE CONDITIONS THAN TEACHERS… often for less money. 

So I don’t really care to hear how “under appreciated” teachers feel. Hell, they all got a $5k raise last year and still didn’t want to go back to work long after the rest of us did during the pandemic. 

39 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

So teachers have it worse than roofers? Worse than welders? Nurse aides? Truck drivers? Industrial maintenance contractors? Equipment operators? Police officers? Firemen? Linemen? Pipeliners? body men? Painters? Wrecker drivers? Fast food workers? Claim adjusters? Walmart employees? Exterminators? Wait staff? Strippers? Drywall hangers? Plumbers? 

The list goes on and on. EVERY ONE OF THOSE PROFESSIONS WORK MORE DAYS, LONGER HOURS, AND IN WORSE CONDITIONS THAN TEACHERS… often for less money. 

So I don’t really care to hear how “under appreciated” teachers feel. Hell, they all got a $5k raise last year and still didn’t want to go back to work long after the rest of us did during the pandemic. 

Yeah, teachers have it worse than a lot of those professions.  And the difference between the two is that teachers could do a lot of those jobs, but most of those workers couldn’t teach.  I could adequately learn to do some of those jobs in a few days, several of them in 6 months, and ALL of them in the 4 years time it took me to earn my teaching degree (I don’t have the body to strip, admittedly). Things are a lot different than they were 30 years ago. The kids are worse, the parents are worse, and teachers can do a lot less about it.  Students aren’t as smart and less inclined to try, and many are used to things being given to them for nothing.  All the while, expectations for teachers are much  higher than they once were.  Then we have to deal with parents who have the same attitude you do, thinking we’re just babysitters.  Many expect us to discipline their kids while not doing so at home, and don’t understand why their kids don’t listen at school.  As for the Covid comment, there’s literally no profession outside of healthcare with a better chance of exposure than teaching.  Kids are germ factories, and classrooms are cesspools, and extended exposure to sick kids is unavoidable.  Teachers this year had to teach both in person AND online at the same time.  That was a nightmare, and we didn’t get paid for all of that extra work.  And for the hours comment, we work countless hours of OT every year, and during our summers, we’re just never paid for it.  I’ve never been one to make a big deal about my salary because I do understand that my schedule is a benefit to the job.  That said, your insistence on belittling the profession is absurd, and it’s highly doubtful you could do it, at least effectively.  You might could do it as poorly as it appears you think most in the profession do.  

39 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Yeah, teachers have it worse than a lot of those professions.  And the difference between the two is that teachers could do a lot of those jobs, but most of those workers couldn’t teach.  I could adequately learn to do some of those jobs in a few days, several of them in 6 months, and ALL of them in the 4 years time it took me to earn my teaching degree (I don’t have the body to strip, admittedly). Things are a lot different than they were 30 years ago. The kids are worse, the parents are worse, and teachers can do a lot less about it.  Students aren’t as smart and less inclined to try, and many are used to things being given to them for nothing.  All the while, expectations for teachers are much  higher than they once were.  Then we have to deal with parents who have the same attitude you do, thinking we’re just babysitters.  Many expect us to discipline their kids while not doing so at home, and don’t understand why their kids don’t listen at school.  As for the Covid comment, there’s literally no profession outside of healthcare with a better chance of exposure than teaching.  Kids are germ factories, and classrooms are cesspools, and extended exposure to sick kids is unavoidable.  Teachers this year had to teach both in person AND online at the same time.  That was a nightmare, and we didn’t get paid for all of that extra work.  And for the hours comment, we work countless hours of OT every year, and during our summers, we’re just never paid for it.  I’ve never been one to make a big deal about my salary because I do understand that my schedule is a benefit to the job.  That said, your insistence on belittling the profession is absurd, and it’s highly doubtful you could do it, at least effectively.  You might could do it as poorly as it appears you think most in the profession do.  

You literally have to have a college degree so that the academics will know that you’ve gotten your liberal indoctrination. 
Most carpenters and pool hustlers can better explain geometry than your typical geometry teacher. No offense, but a liberal arts degree is the consolation prize of undergraduate degrees. 

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You literally have to have a college degree so that the academics will know that you’ve gotten your liberal indoctrination. 
Most carpenters and pool hustlers can better explain geometry than your typical geometry teacher. No offense, but a liberal arts degree is the consolation prize of undergraduate degrees. 

Those professions definitely require a strong understanding of geometry.  Could they pass on their knowledge of geometry to 25 16-year-olds of varying intelligence levels, with various learning disabilities,  all while maintaining control of the classroom? And then do it 4 or 5 more times to their other classes?  Could they do the computer work entailed with the job, for things like attendance, grades, and IEPs?  Could they write lesson plans based on state standards, and help the students pass standardized testing? Would a carpenter or a pool shark have the ability to help those kids on a personal level when they’re struggling with their teenage problems and it affects their grades?  It’s clear you don’t understand what a teacher’s four year degree entails, or what they’re expected to do daily.  

So the interesting part, beside the obvious SDC, going on between a couple of you. Is the fact that teachers are unionized, you know the same union that for years has cried money, money, money every year. The same unions that have graciously let the US fall far behind other countries in proficiency of the basics.

We went from getting our butts paddled at school and then at home if did not follow the rules. To multi-million dollar police departments that are the gestapo hand of the limp wristed administrators who feel "diversity, inclusion and the new word of the day "EQUITY", will make little Johnnie and Jane, better, more woke "global citizens".

Teachers cry, piss and moan about pay or hours and lesson plans. Yet they only cry to us the taxpayer to give them more monies so we "can just do our job". I best one we hear is "Teacher so and so constantly complaining that he/she "has to spend their own money for supplies". You work for a UNION, complain to your union rep, isn't that what they are there for.

Now let me dispel your thoughts of "he doesn't know what he is talking about". Married to a teacher for 20 years, over 20 years of High School sports officiating. Been around it, witnessed it, sat in on countless board meetings. Money only matter to those over paid Superintendents and Jr administrators in the administration buildings who are so far away from the actual problems teachers face. Their only answer is to have another get away to some nice resort, at taxpayer expense, to listen to other over payed, "professionals" state anything but the obvious.

You chose your profession knowing it pays for scheit, you'll be treated like scheit and you can play the "victim" in that career, suck it up buttercup...

Teachers have their challenges like most do in their chosen profession. Unfortunately, many of the challenges and educational quality shortfalls rest on the state that regulates such things, many who have no clue about education. The state requirements alone are enough to make some consider another path. If you want quality people to consider teaching when they're trying to decide which career path to take, it has to be appealing financially. You think teaching is no big deal until there are no teachers available.

57 minutes ago, mat said:

Teachers have their challenges like most do in their chosen profession. Unfortunately, many of the challenges and educational quality shortfalls rest on the state that regulates such things, many who have no clue about education. The state requirements alone are enough to make some consider another path. If you want quality people to consider teaching when they're trying to decide which career path to take, it has to be appealing financially. You think teaching is no big deal until there are no teachers available.

Exactly. I’m a freakin genius 🤓 who is qualified to teach Govt and English. I passed it up (along with coaching) because of the money. 

31 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Exactly. I’m a freakin genius 🤓 who is qualified to teach Govt and English. I passed it up (along with coaching) because of the money. 

Same... I went back to get certified and gave up nine hours shy.... My main reasons for wanting to be a teacher were June, July, and August.

It's a part time gig.  Lets go to year around schooling with only federal holidays and two weeks vacation and then I'll be willing to listen about how your FULL TIME JOB isn't paid as well as the other FULL TIME JOBS.   It's not that hard.

Everybody always says "you'd better enjoy yourself, kid.... It's no fun once you graduate and have to get a real job."  And it's true, except teachers literally keep living that grade school existence.  Grading papers?  I had homework as a kid.  Your life is literally a fantasy camp if you're a teacher. 

1 hour ago, mat said:

You could actually say that about many jobs.  Carpenters are no big deal unless you need a home.

• 2 weeks later...

BISD just fixed their school hours for next year.  That’s going to be a big step in the right direction to help keep teachers.  They screwed employees last year trying to save money on busses and drivers.  One of the perks to the job has always been the schedule and hours.  BISD got away from that and it cost them a lot of employees.

16 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Teaching is a thankless job. I definitely support teachers; however, it is not on my list of really hard jobs. I know more teachers than I can count from several districts. The realistic ones will say the same. It’s all what you make of it. 

I've got a niece that is really driven... she began teaching high school/coaching, got her Masters, and is now a mom, HS counselor and flips houses on the side.  She doesn't understand what all of the complaining is about. 

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

I've got a niece that is really driven... she began teaching high school/coaching, got her Masters, and is now a mom, HS counselor and flips houses on the side.  She doesn't understand what all of the complaining is about. 

Some people like to complain about how bad they have it. Chronic complainers complain to those around them because they seek sympathy and emotional validation. In other words, they want you to validate their experience, to tell them that indeed their glass is half empty and it probably has some kind of germs in it that is gonna eventually make them ill. Lol. 

Here is a thought, what if we let teachers teach?

Actual teaching, not teaching to get a test score, not teaching to a lesson plan that includes any type of indoctrination, just teach.

We the taxpayers will pay you a "fair, EQUITABLE, INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE salary.

If you as a teacher of English can raise little Johnnie or Travons grade  by X, then and only then do you get a raise. No not an average in each class, each individual, must raise his or hers, (there is only 2 genders) average for the year.

185 days of work, starting wage of $300 per day or $55,500 per annum. This is the same as making $78,300 in a "normal" 261 working day job.