BISD Raise & Stipend

Hagar

14 hours ago, mat said:

Don’t know about BISD but most districts are struggling with bus driver shortage which ultimately affects school hours and schedules. A lot depends on the ability to get kids to school.

When I was in school, the buses only picked up the rural kids. How did the other kids make it to school? Mystery to me.

20 hours ago, mat said:

Don’t know about BISD but most districts are struggling with bus driver shortage which ultimately affects school hours and schedules. A lot depends on the ability to get kids to school.

Yup.  But they don’t want to pay them anything.  Makes it tough

On 7/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, Derf Nosneb said:

Here is a thought, what if we let teachers teach?

Actual teaching, not teaching to get a test score, not teaching to a lesson plan that includes any type of indoctrination, just teach.

We the taxpayers will pay you a "fair, EQUITABLE, INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE salary.

If you as a teacher of English can raise little Johnnie or Travons grade  by X, then and only then do you get a raise. No not an average in each class, each individual, must raise his or hers, (there is only 2 genders) average for the year.

185 days of work, starting wage of $300 per day or $55,500 per annum. This is the same as making $78,300 in a "normal" 261 working day job.

I wholeheartedly agree with your first comments.  Teachers now have to worry about standardized testing so much that they’re limited in how and what they can teach.  I don’t have issues with some performance based pay, but you’re saying that every child in every class must raise their grades for me to get a raise?  Like if I teach high school and one of my kids starts using drugs, or gets pregnant, or their parents split, or they decide they just don’t care anymore, or they get stuck up their new girlfriends’ butt, or they make varsity football and have less time to study than last year, (I could literally list 100 more reasons a kid’s grades could dip outside of a teacher’s control) etc. etc., and their average drops even one point, I don’t get a raise?  That’s irrational. That’s kinda like denying a raise to a boss of 100 employees because ONE of them doesn’t meet his performance standards.  And of course, teachers can’t fire their students, nor do they get to choose them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, bullets13 said:

but you’re saying that every child in every class must raise their grades for me to get a raise?  Like if I teach high school and one of my kids starts using drugs, or gets pregnant, or their parents split, or they decide they just don’t care anymore, or they get stuck up their new girlfriends’ butt, or they make varsity football and have less time to study than last year, (I could literally list 100 more reasons a kid’s grades could dip outside of a teacher’s control) etc. etc., and their average drops even one point, I don’t get a raise?  That’s irrational

I agree you can't control outside influences....or a teenage mind sometimes.......

But, how about getting a quarterly bonus for retention or based on a certain percentage of students that maintain C average or above. The more in C average or above, the more your bonus. 

Part of my district manager's bonus is paid on how many employees in their district bonus. A great incentive to work and train employees. That might be a good model for schools and teachers. 

This quarterly bonus would be in addition to a normal raise schedule.  

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

I agree you can't control outside influences....or a teenage mind sometimes.......

But, how about getting a quarterly bonus for retention or based on a certain percentage of students that maintain C average or above. The more in C average or above, the more your bonus. 

Part of my district manager's bonus is paid on how many employees in their district bonus. A great incentive to work and train employees. That might be a good model for schools and teachers. 

This quarterly bonus would be in addition to a normal raise schedule.  

The problem is that in private business you don’t have a captive audience. You can get rid of an employee not performing. That fact alone can give you better employees since it can allow you to give them incentives (even  just a pat on the back/encouragement)  to be better and keep a job. You can also do a good job in hiring a good employee candidate.

A teacher gets none of that. A teacher’s audience is entirely captive with very little recourse to change it.  The teacher does not get to interview the students, reject them as a not good candidate, kick them out of class for being lazy, etc. A teacher shows up the first day of class and the school says, here’s your roster.

A teacher who is mediocre at best gets a class of excellent students and has a great year. Another teacher who everybody in the school says is awesome ends up drawing some slugs that really don’t care. The mediocre teacher gets a bonus and the awesome teacher gets nothing.

I agree that there should be some way to incentivize teachers to do a better job. Other than just an administrator’s opinion, how do you do it? 

4 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The problem is that in private business you don’t have a captive audience. You can get rid of an employee not performing. That fact alone can give you better employees since it can allow you to give them incentives (even  just a pat on the back/encouragement)  to be better and keep a job. You can also do a good job in hiring a good employee candidate.

A teacher gets none of that. A teacher’s audience is entirely captive with very little recourse to change it.  The teacher does not get to interview the students, reject them as a not good candidate, kick them out of class for being lazy, etc. A teacher shows up the first day of class and the school says, here’s your roster.

A teacher who is mediocre at best get a class of excellent students and has a great year. Another teacher who everybody in the school says is awesome, and ends up drawing some slugs that really don’t care. The mediocre teacher gets a bonus and the awesome teacher gets nothing.

I agree that there should be some way to incentivize teachers to do a better job. Other than just an administrator’s opinion, how do you do it? 

Dang it....good points...

9 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

A teacher who is mediocre at best gets a class of excellent students and has a great year. Another teacher who everybody in the school says is awesome ends up drawing some slugs that really don’t care. The mediocre teacher gets a bonus and the awesome teacher gets nothing.

Agree, good points.

Also, teachers have no control over how much support a kid may get at home, whether by helping with homework from parents or having a tutor brought in, which will most likely turn out better grades.

Teachers can do absolutely everything they should and it still may not be reflected accurately in grade average by events out of their control.

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Back to my point... most of us are held accountable at work.  Teachers are not.  It's why they want to do away with standardized testing-it grades the school as well as the student.

If teachers were paid their actual worth on the open market, most would starve.  Facts.

Teachers are evaluated every year, similar to other professions.. Some do not get their contact renewed. Fact.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Back to my point... most of us are held accountable at work.  Teachers are not.  It's why they want to do away with standardized testing-it grades the school as well as the student.

If teachers were paid their actual worth on the open market, most would starve.  Facts.

Why do you hate teachers so much?  Sure, there are some bad ones, but there are a lot of great ones, and the vast majority of us are at least competent.  This entire thread all you’ve done is insult the profession.  You’ve labeled teachers, belittled them, downplayed the difficulty of the job.  According to you we’re lazy, whiners, don’t want to work, and anyone can do the job.  I’d sure like to know what you do for a living.  

One of the problems, IMO, is discipline.  If there’s a good Principal, who’ll enforce discipline & the stand up for the Teachers, you’d have a chance of better grades.  If, like many, he/she just doesn’t want to rock the boat, if leaves the Teachers out to dry. 

12 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Why do you hate teachers so much?  Sure, there are some bad ones, but there are a lot of great ones, and the vast majority of us are at least competent.  This entire thread all you’ve done is insult the profession.  You’ve labeled teachers, belittled them, downplayed the difficulty of the job.  According to you we’re lazy, whiners, don’t want to work, and anyone can do the job.  I’d sure like to know what you do for a living.  

Never once has a teacher admitted that they aren’t like the rest of us with real jobs. 

It is literally the easiest, most comfortable, safest, part time job a lazy person could dream of…. Yet all teachers do is complain to us, the people who pay them, about how bad teachers have it. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Never once has a teacher admitted that they aren’t like the rest of us with real jobs. 

It is literally the easiest, most comfortable, safest, part time job a lazy person could dream of…. Yet all teachers do is complain to us, the people who pay them, about how bad teachers have it. 

Completely asinine.  And I spent so much time on here thinking you were reasonable and intelligent.  Care to tell us what you do for a living? 

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You sound pretty bitter. Is your ex-wife a teacher?

On a serious note, most professions have over achievers, achievers and under achievers and in most cases, most feel they are underpaid. I'm not in a position to tell a teacher, cop, nurse, salesman, union electrician, fast food worker, etc. that they are overpaid because I am none of those. I have not walked a step (much less a mile) in their shoes. 

14 minutes ago, PAMFAM10 said:

Man at memorial most teachers I knew cared I’m talking spending out there pockets for supplies. Staying late to help failing kids. Buying uniforms/backpacks for kids. Most teachers I had were true blessings. And I went to memorial. You can’t force someone else child to learn but they sure tried.

I have to say graduated in 1984 from TJ. All great teachers, even the ones I didn't like. My Favorites were Mr. Tolar, Mr Sell and Mr. Lee (who got me interested in computers and convinced me to take his computer class) while staying after school in his room, after being sent there by Mrs. McMillian for acting up in math class......lol

8 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

Most teachers I had were true blessings.

I had several really good ones. Even a few life changing ones. A few not so great, but all in all, a lot of good ones. It’s a difficult thankless job. But I’m not prepared to say it’s one of the hardest jobs out there. And that’s not throwing shade on the profession. It’s a very important one. Unfortunately there isn’t a real good way to measure their individual successes.